Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2007, 07:35 AM   #1

Boxster in shop

I noticed a small oil puddle about 2.5" in dia in my garage this week after driving a very spirited run about 2 hrs out of town last weekend. It's at the dealer and tech called and confirmed a RMS leak. I didn't notice any problem just running around town.

Does this happen after a long hot drive, or just the luck of the cards?

Anything else (besides the clutch) that I should have them check while it's out?

He said they had a new design seal, that they would install.

Didn't ask if they did an oil/filter change at the time (not due for an oil change)

2004 with ~30k on the clock, 5speed

TIA

markab986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:57 AM   #2

Design flaw, you did not cause it in any way.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Design flaw, you did not cause it in any way.
Thanks for the feedback...I sort of assumed this from reading other posts in this forum.

Iwas just curious if "heavier" driving accelerated the failure rate. I haven't seen any direct correlation to miles vs failure rates posted (engine size, my, etc).

The main questions I have now are...What should be looked at or replaced while it's in the shop...a PM if you will?

I bought this car second hand, & I don't know it's "history". I have the owner's manual with all "authorized" services stamps performed on time and at a certified Porsche Repair Center/Dealer.

The car was purchased under Porsche Approved Certified Pre-owned Vehicle...so the bill should be minimal at least.

I just don't know if the previous owner rode the clutch, etc.

TIA

Old 09-18-2007, 12:53 PM   #4

They should change your oil & filter while they are at it. If not they will most likely just top it off. I just had mine done back in July and had them replace the clutch. But that really depend on how many miles are on your car/clutch. May want to change the flywheel too, but that's just even more money to add on.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
They should change your oil & filter while they are at it. If not they will most likely just top it off. I just had mine done back in July and had them replace the clutch. But that really depend on how many miles are on your car/clutch. May want to change the flywheel too, but that's just even more money to add on.
Thx.

I will go in tomorrow morning and "bug them". I know they are professionals, but I don't want to have to tear it down again and put in a clutch/PP and/or flywheel any time soon (I tend not to be hard on clutches, personally )

I’m sure they don’t want some AR owner in bugging them, but I already told the salesman that depending on my treatment with this car, that it will be the litmus test if I shell out the $$$ for a new turbo (or something equivalent) in a couple years. (They probably hear this everyday, but...I love this car, and don't think they want to alienate any future business) They have treated my very professionally.

Car has ~30k on it and according to the service records, no clutch or flywheel replacement (or RMS) just your usual PM & service.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:34 PM   #6

Mark, it helps if you put the year of your car (at least) in your signature. Different years have some different things about them, so it helps (most of the time) if we know what you've got!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 07:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
Mark, it helps if you put the year of your car (at least) in your signature. Different years have some different things about them, so it helps (most of the time) if we know what you've got!

sorry about that I had put it in my post, just took the time to add a sig
TIA

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/2004_986.jpg
Old 09-19-2007, 02:17 PM   #8

Rms

I just changed my rms on 9/11/07 luckly i had extended warranty my boxster only had 23000 miles the job cost around 2800 bucks

J-Slicks is offline   Reply With Quote