Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2007, 05:19 PM   #1

Who Owns Who?

I was reading the "Honey I wrecked the Porsche" thread and seeing Ferrari part of Fiat group reminded me of a discussion with some friends. Does anyone keep up with or know currently which companies own which?

Old 06-18-2007, 05:28 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Um, let's see if I'm on the ball:

Ford owns Jaguar, Lincoln, Mercury, Volvo.

GM owns Saab, Pontiac, GMC, Chevy, Oldsmobile.

Volkswagon owns Audi.
Toyota owns Lexus, Scion.
Honda owns Accura.
Nissan owns Infiniti.

Porsche owns Porsche.

I know I'm forgetting some.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 06:11 PM   #3

um.. Porsche owns 31 % of VW.. which is to say, controlling interest in VW and therefore Audi, Seat, Bugatti, Lamborghini and Bentley brands

Ford also owns a controlling interest in Mazda (30+ percent) - hence the large crossover of platforms (Focus/Mazda 3, ford Edgae/Mazda CX7/9 etc). Does FORD still own Land Rover too?

GM also owns Cadillac

Fiat - Ferrari, Maserati, Alfa Romeo and Lancia- essentially all of Italy

Cerebus owns Chrysler now which owns the Jeep and Dodge brands

Diamler (of Diamler Benz) controlls Mercedes cars, Freightliner trucks. Until recently, they also had a 30+ percent of Mitsubishi and, well, Chrysler

I am sure Kia, Hyndai, Daewoo are all inter-related, but the specifics escape me.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:11 PM   #4

I think audi took over lamborghini
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:17 PM   #5

Diamler dumped Chrysler because they didn't want the pension liability. Some capital group now owns Chrysler. I'm pretty sure the Korean cars are all different, but they make cars for other names. Hundai is a huge company, in addition to cars, they make ships, heavy equipment, electronics, shipping containers, etc. Daewoo also makes it's own heavy equipment.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:36 PM   #6
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Ford had aston martin too, until march when they sold it to a private party. Ford owns a lot of the industry.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:04 PM   #7

Kia, Hyundai, Daewoo are owned by the South Korean government because they're in receivership.

That's what my buddies who live and work in South Korea tell me.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 08:27 PM   #8

Ya got me there, I wasn't considering government ownership.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:05 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Bisimoto
GM also owns Saturn.

Mazda was going to open its own luxury division, Amati, to challenge the Infiniti, Acura and Lexus brands in North America, but that fell through the cracks. Xedos was going to be their lux-division in Europe.

Ok, back to design work for me!
Old 06-18-2007, 10:01 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
too complicated, all i know is that they need to bring some of those sweet european cars here....
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:53 AM   #11

I forgot to add "Hummer" to the GM list (not the H-1 -that was built by American General, but those "little" Hummers- H2, H3)Yes, Ford sold Aston Martin recently and rumors are brewing that Jaguar will be next. nearly 20 years of Ford ownership and the company still struggles. ugh.

Also, I believe Diamler is extracting itself from its 30+% ownership (control) of Mitsubishi motors (Mitsubishi is another one of those companies that does just about everything from Banking to heavy equipment)

Yes, Audi "owns" Lamborghini.. and VW owns Audi.

I would think it fairly safe to think that in the next 10-20 years there will only be 6 or so automakers (unless the Chinese explode and buy everyone out ) with various "brands" or "images" being marketed worldwide and 3 of them will own "half" the markets available.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
Old 06-19-2007, 02:42 PM   #12

Wow. let me see...I know BMW did have Rolls Royce but for some reason thought they no longer do.

Diamer Benz (Mercedes) also has the F1 McLaren.

Wasn't there talk of Porsche selling VW and/or Audi?
Old 06-19-2007, 02:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC986
Wow. let me see...I know BMW did have Rolls Royce but for some reason thought they no longer do.

Diamer Benz (Mercedes) also has the F1 McLaren.

Wasn't there talk of Porsche selling VW and/or Audi?
BMW owns both Rolls Royce and Mini

Did you mean F1 McLaren as in the Race team? or the McLaren F1 street car from the early 1990s that was actually built by McLaren Cars, vs McLaren the Race Team. I believe McLaren and AMG put together the Mercedes SLR.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
Old 06-19-2007, 06:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chills
GM owns Saab, Pontiac, GMC, Chevy, Oldsmobile.

I'm sure you meant Buick, not Olds. The plug was pulled on Olds 3-4 yrs ago. But does anyone even care if Buick is still alive and Olds is dead?
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:51 PM   #15

Might be a little dated, came across this
http://www.carlist.com/autonews/2005/autonews_149.html

Acura Motors:

Honda:
Takeo Fukui, President and CEO, Honda Motor Co., Ltd
Number of dealers: 1,011
2004 sales: 1,195,479

Acura (USA):
Richard Colliver, Executive Vice President
Number of dealers:264
2004 sales: 198,919

BMW Motor Company

BMW
Dr. Helmut Panke, Chairman of the Board of Management, Bayerische Motorenwerke A.G.
Number of dealers:340
2004 sales:260,079

Mini
Number of dealers:80
2004 sales:36,032

Rolls-Royce
In 1998 BMW purchased the rights to use the Rolls-Royce Motor Car name from Rolls-Royce PLC for $66 million. VW had purchased the Rolls-Royce Motor Car company, but that did not include the rights to the name.
As part of the agreement with VW, BMW did not begin producing Rolls-Royce Motor Cars in their new plant in Goodwood in the U.K. until January 1st, 2003.
The Rolls-Royce Phantom shares the same engine as the BMW 760
Brilliance
Listed on NYSE since 1992, has a Joint Venture with BMW to produce 3 and 5 series for the Chinese market. Makes the Zhonghua in China. Brillance also signed an agreement with an Egyptian partner last month to produce Zhonghuas in North Africa

Changan
Third largest automaker in China, after First Auto Works and Shaghai Auto. The state-owned company already has dealings with Ford, Suzuki and Mazda for Chinese operations. Changan is working with the Italian design and engineering firm IDEA and has opened an R&D center in Italy.

Chery
The most likely Chinese made car to come to the USA first
Malcolm Bricklin, CEO
Chery Automobiles began to produce cars in Iran at the end of last year
Chery is also in talks with Malaysia’s Alado Automobiles to produce cars there

Daimler-Chrysler (DCX)
It was a merger between Chrysler and Mercedes-Benz in 1998
Jurgen Schrempp, Chairman, DaimlerChrysler AG

Beijing Jeep (DCX and Beijing Auto Industry Corp)
Chrysler Group
Jeff Bell, Vice President Marketing
Number of dealers:2,195
2004 sales: 1,016,130 (Chrysler and Jeep are reported together)
- The 2-seater Crossfire shares its mechanicals from the Mercedes-Benz SLK.

Dodge
Darryl R. Jackson, Vice President Dodge Marketing
Number of dealers: 1,802
2004 sales: 1,189,894
If you don’t want a station wagon, but like the way the Dodge Magnum works you will like the Charger, it shares the same LX platform and almost all its mechanical and electronic components with the Dodge Magnum and the Chrysler 300. What does that mean? It means you get a great rear-wheel drive with a great all-independent suspension from Mercedes.

Jeep
Jeff Bell, Vice President Marketing

Maybach
Mercedes-Benz
Paul Halata, President and CEO
Number of dealers: 329
2004 sales: 221,610
Smart
DongFeng
China’s 2nd largest automaker, a state enterprise that’s owned by the central government. They have Joint Ventures (JVs) with Nissan, Peugeot and Honda

FIAT S.p.A. - Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino (Italian Car Factory of Turin)
Sergio Marchionne, CEO

Fiat
see SAIC and Tata - both are rumored to be interested in purchasing FIAT S.p.A.. This would be a footprint into Latin America, Europe and possibly the United States for either if they did buy FIAT SpA.
General Motors had an option to buy Fiat, but divested its interest in February 2005

Abarth (no more individual models, only styling/sport kits)
Alfa Romeo
In February Fiat took over Maserati and merged it with Alfa Romeo
Ferrari
Ferrari is part of FIAT S.p.A., not FIAT auto FIAT S.p.A. owns a controlling interest in Ferrari

Lancia
Maserati
Maserati is part of Fiat Auto, linked to Alfa Romeo. Maserati’s distribution in the USA is dependent on the Ferrari channel
First Auto Works (FAW)
China’s largest automaker of trucks and cars, including a car named Hongqi, which means Red Flag. JVs with VW and Toyota.

Ford Motor Company
William Clay Ford Jr, Chairman of the Board and CEO

Aston Martin
Mike O’Driscoll, President, Aston Martin, Jaguar, Land Rover North America
Ford bought Aston Martin in 1994

Chang’An Ford (Ford and Chang’An Motors)
Ford
Stephen G. Lyons, President
Number of dealers: 3,799
2004 sales: 2,778,678
Jaguar
Number of dealers: 173
2004 sales: 45,875
Ford bought Jaguar in 1990

Land Rover
Number of dealers: 164
2004 sales: 35,506
Sold to Ford in 2000 from BMW the Range Rover had a BMW engine till this year when it switched to a V-8 from Jaguar.

Lincoln
Darryl Hazel, President
Number of dealers: 641
2004 sales: 332,600

Mazda (33.4% controlling interest)
James O’Sullivan, President and CEO
Number of dealers:702
2004 sales:263,883
The hot new Mazda 3 shares its underpinnings with the upcoming Mazda 5, Volvo S40 and V50 and the European version of the Ford Focus. The Mazda 6 is the basis for the 2006 Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan and Lincoln Zephyr
Mercury
Volvo
Anne Belec, President and CEO
Number of dealers: 353
2004 sales: 139,384
Ford bought Volvo in 1999 for $6.5 billion. Since then the same platform has been used for the S80 sedan, S60 sedan, XC90 SUV, and two generations of V70 wagons. The same platform was recently used for the Ford Five Hundred, Ford Freestyle, and the Mercury Montego.
Geely
The second most likely Chinese company to come to America. A private Chinese company started 7 years ago that specializes in affordable compact cars, such as Huapu and Haoqing, for the masses. Now has 5 percent of the car market in China. Cars priced around USD 5,000.
Geely Automobile Holdings Ltd signed a partnership agreement in May, with Malaysian manufacturers Information Gateway Corporation SDN BHD (IGC), to assemble its own brand cars in Malaysia, the first car will be the Freedom Cruiser.

General Motors

G. Richard "Rick" Wagoner, Jr., Chairman and CEO

AM General
(government vehicles produced as HUMMVs; not sold to private individuals)

Buick
Number of dealers: 2,758
2004 sales: 309,639

Cadillac
Number of dealers: 1,482
2004 sales: 234,217

Chevrolet
Number of dealers: 4,145
2004 sales: 2,763,238
The Chevy Malibu spans the globe by sharing parts with the Pontiac G6, Saturn Aura, Saab 9-3, and the European Cadillac BLS. Daewoo (sold as Chevrolet, Holden or Suzuki outside North Korea)
GM Daewoo Auto and Technology provides vehicles to Chevrolet, Holden, Buick and its alliance partner Suzuki. In Korea and Vietnam GMDAT products are sold under the GM Daewoo brand.

GMC
Number of dealers: 2,249
2004 sales: 602,064

Holden (Australia)
Hummer
Number of dealers: 164
2004 sales: 29,345

Isuzu (10 % interest)
Minoru Matsushima, Chairman
Number of dealers: 350
2004 sales: 27,188

Opel
(Europe excluding UK, also India and Africa)

Pontiac
Number of dealers: 2,786
2004 sales: 474,179
Shares the platform and parts with the Toyota Matrix, but priced higher. Entered into a joint venture with Toyota in 1984. GM put up an abandoned factory in Fremont, CA, and Toyota added cash and the Corolla platform. Now known as NUMMI, this was Toyota’s first foray into the American market.

Saturn
Jill Lajdziak, Vice President, Sales, Service and Marketing
Number of dealers: 445
2004 sales: 212,017

Saab
Number of dealers: 249
2004 sales: 38,159
the all-wheel-drive Saab 9-2X is based on the Subaru WRX, known now as the Saabaru. The 2006 Saab 9-7X SUV is built on the same platform as a Chevy Trailblazer, Buick Ranier and GMC Envoy. The Saab is built in Moraine, Ohio.

Shanghai GM (GM and Shanghai Auto Industry Corp-SAIC)
GreatWall Motors
Maker of pickup truck and SUVs based in a town about 100 miles south of Beijing. Also listed on the NYSE in 2003.

Hyundai Kia Automotive Group:

Hyundai Motor America:
Hyundai Motor America is a wholly owned subsidiary of Hyundai Motor Company, headquartered in Seoul, South Korea
Bob Cosmai, President and CEO
Number of dealers: 664
2004 sales: 418,615

Kia:
Peter Butterfield, President and CEO
Number of dealers: 650
2004 sales: 270,055

Mitsubishi Motors North America
less than 20% owned by DCX, no longer a controlling interest
Rich Gilligan, President and CEO
Number of dealers: 52
2004 sales: 161,609
The Mitsubishi Raider will be built by Dodge in the Warren truck plant, using the Dodge Dakota platform/powertrain.

Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.
(44% shareholding by Renault)

Nissan
(Known as Datsun from 1932 to 1983)
Jed Connelly, Senior Vice President Sales and Marketing
Number of dealers: 1,072
2004 sales: 855,002
In North America, Nissan has vehicle manufacturing plants in Smyrna, Tenn.; Canton, Miss.; and Aguascalientes and Cuernavaca, Mexico. Globally, Nissan vehicles are produced in plants in Japan, the United Kingdom, Spain, Thailand, China, Taiwan, the Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia, Pakistan, South Africa, Kenya and Egypt.

Infiniti
Jed Connelly, Senior Vice President Sales and Marketing
Number of dealers: 172
2004 sales: 130,067

Renault (15% held by Nissan)
Renault Samsung
Panoz

Porsche
Wendelin Wiedeking, Chairman of the Board of Management, Porsche AG
Number of dealers: 204
2004 sales: 33,289
The Porsche Cayenne and Volkswagen Toureg are built on the same platform that was designed by Porsche and built in Volkswagen’s Czech Republic plant

Lotus

PSA Group

Citroën
Peugeot
Saleen

SGM Wuling (China)
Three-way Joint Venture with GM, Shanghai Auto Industry Corp and Wuling Motors that produces micro trucks and micro cars, including the Chevrolet Spark, based off the Daewoo Matiz.

Shanghai Automotive Industry Corp(SAIC)
Joint Venture with General Motors and Volkswagen in China. Rumored to be interested in buying Fiat.
A state enterprise owned by the city of Shanghai.

Subaru Fuji Heavy Industries, Ltd (20% interest owned by General Motors)
A descendant of the Nakajima Aircraft Company (est. 1917), Fuji Heavy Industries (FHI) was established on July 15, 1953 when five Japanese companies joined to form one of Japan’s largest manufacturers of transportation equipment.
FHI has an aerospace division that provides Boeing with infrastructure. FHI applies a great deal of their aircraft technology to their automotive division, most notably the horizontally-opposed boxer engines used in all modern Subaru automobiles.
Kyoji Takenaka, President, Fuji Heavy Industries, Ltd.

Subaru of America
"Subaru" is the Japanese word for the star cluster Pleiades that is depicted in the company logo
Number of dealers: 580
2004 sales: 187,402
All Impreza models, 2.5i, WRX sedan and wagon, Outback Sport, and STi are on the same platform, built in Gunma, Japan
All Legacy models (2.5i, GT)and all Outback models (3.0 R sedan, 2.5i wagon, XT, L.L.Bean, and VDC) and all Baja models are built on the Legacy platform, built in Lafayette, Indiana. The all new B9 Tribeca is based on a highly modified Outback platform, but it’s much longer and wider, with different suspension components.
Suzuki (20% interest owned by General Motors)
Sokichi Nakano, Chairman
Number of dealers: 540
2004 sales: 73,946

Tata Motors:
Rumored to be interested in buying Fiat. If so, that would give TATA their first footprint into America
Seven out of ten medium and heavy commercial vehicles in India are made by Tata. The Indica V2 is India’s only fully designed and manufactured passenger car.
In 2004 Tata Motors bought Daewoo’s truck manufacturing unit in South Korea

Toyota Motor Corporation:

Daihatsu
Lexus:
Denny Clements, Group Vice President and General Manager
Number of dealers: 210
2004 sales: 287,927

Scion:
Toyota:
Yukitoshi Funo, President and COE
Number of dealers: 1,210
2004 sales: 1,772,122
same platform - matrix and corolla?
Volkswagen Group:

Audi:
Johan de Nysschen, Executive Vice President
Number of dealers:262
2004 sales:77,917
The Phaeton and Audi A8 share some similar technologies such as air suspension, 4.2 V8 and W12 engines.
Bentley:
Andrew Stuart, CEO
Number of dealers:39
2004 sales: 2,479
Purchased by VW in 1998. The Bentley Continental and Flying Spur share bits of the platform and hardware of the 12-cylinder Volkswagen Phaeton. Bentley has said they could assemble the Flying Spur at the Phaeton factory in Dresden, "The Glass Factory", Germany, but the factory at Crew, England has sufficient capacity right now to handle the demand of the Bentley for the next two years.

Bugatti
Lamborghini
SEAT
Skoda
Volkswagen
Frank Witter, CEO and Chief Financial Officer
Number of dealers: 611
2004 sales: 256,111
VWAG has a Joint Venture with First Auto Works but none of those vehicles are exported resources: Most Manufacturers listed above
factfile
Automotive Resources Asia, based in Shanghai, Beijing and Bangkok
National Automotive Dealer Association (NADA) Magazine China Daily

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 03:51 AM   #16

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster
I'm sure you meant Buick, not Olds. The plug was pulled on Olds 3-4 yrs ago. But does anyone even care if Buick is still alive and Olds is dead?

Yep, that's what I meant. Too many took keep track of.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:26 PM   #17

VW owned Rolls but, BMW owned the RR logo. Making it impossible for VW to build and sell cars under the Rolls Royce name. In 05' they reached an agreement and BMW owns and produces Rolls now and VW owns and produces Bentley, they claim that's the only one they wanted anyway. BMW supplied most of the later powerplants to Rolls even before owning them.

Porsche bought the controlling stake of VW (30.9%) to avoid it being taken over by foreign investors. Had to keep it's sister company in good hands.

Audi did own Lamborghini but, I'm not sure if they still do. The Gallardo is the first German/Italian built Lamborghini ever. There was alot of animosity towards the Germans for that but, I think they produced one hell of a car that not only looks better than the Murc but, is faster around the track. Germans had to be doing something right. Although there was some shoddy craftmanship issues with the Gallardo at first. My father purchased his straight from Lambo and had major transmission problems, 3 months in two different shops and no one could figure it out. They flew a tech from Italy to Dallas to check out the problem, they finally ended up swapping it with a new transmission and shipping his back to Italy to research what had gone wrong. All covered under warranty though.

Last edited by yellowboxster01; 06-24-2007 at 10:32 PM.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:48 PM   #18

With regard to the Ford and Aston/ Jag purchases, Ford paid too much for both when they bought them, especially with regard to Jag. When Ford purchased Jag they bought some of the worst facilities in the automotive world. There were internal reports from Ford within the 80s that showed that the then current Taurus had fewer defects off the line than the Jag platform. They have since significantly improved the brand, though from a financial valuation, even if they got the company for free, after all the money they've put into it, its still a loss.

Patrick

Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote