Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2007, 03:01 PM   #1

Question Schnell rear strut tower brace fitment?

I have already installed the front Schnell strut tower brace, a piece of cake to fit, and now 'working' to fit the rear. I have heard the rear was a bit tougher to install and I am finding this to be true. I have to grind and campher the rear curve crescent area in order for it to fit down snugly around the opening in the shock tower and down over the bolts that extend upward. A bit of work with a dremel tool and small grinding stones have made the piece able to drop down flat. I figure tomorrow I will spray paint the ground areas so they wont' be prone to rust and then install them first. I will then attach the connecting rod and snug it up. Any buddy have similar problems with their installation? Not a whole lot of work but I didn't think I would have to do any grinding for fitment but there it is.

AKL

Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:03 PM   #2

My rear brace is sitting in my garage, I'm contemplating how I'm going to install it, and by your post, I'm in for a long day's work. So why are you using a dremel? It won't fit?
conradtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:27 AM   #3

I only use the Dremel while the curved plate is outside the car. I trim about a 1/16" to 1/8" where the curved plate binds against the shock tower. I do not trim anything on the car itself. I will try to get a pic of what I am doing. Otherwise the installation should not be troublesome. I don't even have to release the cables on the top to fold the window up out of the way. Again I will try to get a pic for you. Once the plates are bolted in place I plan on fixing the bar into both of them. I will post progress pros and cons.

AKL
Old 05-31-2007, 05:27 AM   #4

I had to do no trimming or grinding when I installed mine. Are you installing it so the bar will be at the rear of the car up against the trunk panel? You're not trying to flip the brackets around so the bar will be out in the open, are you? (if that's even possible... It's been a while since I installed mine or looked at it)

My bracket fit down flat and snug, straight out of the box. I did have to pre-assemble the bar to the brackets, and keep everything loose until the brackets were bolted down tight, then tighten the two nuts and the bar. You can't just drop the bar down on the brackets, since they and the threaded stud that sticks up are canted inward. And the top mechanism was in the way. Once it's in there it's nicely tucked under and in!

Hmmm.. I could take a picture of mine installed at lunch.
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 06:24 AM   #5
Porscheectomy

I didn't do any grinding either. The brackets fit flat onto the strut tower out of the box for me.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 07:40 AM   #6

Here are two pics of where I had to grind about 1/16" off in order to get the plate to fit flat on the top of the tower. Not a lot and I imagine each car is slightly a bit different. I will assemble the bar to the brackets and try to get that in place and report back my findings. Remember, it is me who is installing this and if anything can possibly go wrong, IT WILL ! ! ! :ah:

More this afternoon after the paint dries and the bar is installed. Thanks for all the advice.

AKL
Old 06-01-2007, 05:05 AM   #7

Angle of rear bar?

Managed to install the rear bar yesterday. The bar is on a slight angle as it rides high on the right side bolt and low on the left. Is this acceptable? Thing is tight as a drum and cannot be moved. Any insight on this?

Thanks again in advance, AKL
Old 06-01-2007, 05:17 AM   #8

A question for those who have installed these braces. Can you tell a difference in the handling of the car?
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 07:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield
Managed to install the rear bar yesterday. The bar is on a slight angle as it rides high on the right side bolt and low on the left. Is this acceptable? Thing is tight as a drum and cannot be moved. Any insight on this?

Thanks again in advance, AKL
It should be level, and changing the length of the bar should let it slide up/down the studs until it's on there correctly.

Here's some bad pictures of my installation.
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:56 AM   #10
HB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield
Here are two pics of where I had to grind about 1/16" off in order to get the plate to fit flat on the top of the tower. Not a lot and I imagine each car is slightly a bit different. I will assemble the bar to the brackets and try to get that in place and report back my findings. Remember, it is me who is installing this and if anything can possibly go wrong, IT WILL ! ! ! :ah:

More this afternoon after the paint dries and the bar is installed. Thanks for all the advice.

AKL
What tool did you use for the grinding? My brackets are not fitting correctly either, the middle hole is not clearing the small screw.
HB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:24 AM   #11

Dremel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB.
What tool did you use for the grinding? My brackets are not fitting correctly either, the middle hole is not clearing the small screw.

Used a Dremel with a grinding wheel. Not a whole lot as I posted but enough to get a good fit. Also rounded the sharp edge on the bottom of the plate. I did NOT drill any of the fitting holes larger.

Since installing the braces I have added the M030 Sport sway bars and the handling is dramatically improved. No other changes other than Vertex braces fore & aft and the sway bars. Little or no weight transfer in corners observed from behind the wheel. Ordered them from Sunset in Portland Oregon including bushings for $235.00. Most bang for your upgrade book in my estimate.

AKL