Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2007, 11:00 AM   #21

James,

Personally, I would take that picture of the ticket down, it has a lot of personal info.

Atari-style PCM Navigation
OEM Carrera Lights
B&M clone short shifter
Crappy stereo
Old 05-07-2007, 11:05 AM   #22

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
James how did the Boxster feel at 154mph?
I REFUSE TO ANSWER IT!
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
Old 05-07-2007, 11:07 AM   #23

Send a message via AIM to [z0ne] Send a message via MSN to [z0ne]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGem2k
I REFUSE TO ANSWER IT!
:lol: Glad you had fun, James.

Just like HiFi said, I would take down the pictures of your tickets, or at least blur out your personal information. You don't want us ratting you out to your father, now do ya?
Old 05-07-2007, 11:29 AM   #24

Hi,

These threads always amaze me. Some owner breaks the Sound Barrier, gets caught, and is instantly hit with the reality of their actions. What did you think would happen?

I guess part of me wants to see the book thrown at you. At least that would be my leaning if I heard a news report of some kid driving a Sports Car in excess of 100 MPH on a public street. People doing what you did kill and maim other people every day and they never thought it could happen to them either, until it does.

But, because we know you, we're all supposed to sympathize with your situation and give you all kinds of advice on how to get out of it.

It's interesting that you seem more concerned with your Parents finding out than you are with the legal ramifications of what you've done. Maybe they're a system which can't be beat.

While it isn't going down all that smoothly, I do hope you come out of this OK. And also, that you learned to confine your 70+ MPH activity to the Track where it belongs and appreciate the meaning of Impulse Control the next time you get the urge to take a speed challenge...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
Old 05-07-2007, 11:39 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
If you want a bashing, I would be happy to give you one.
No Thanks Bruce. I will surely receive plenty from my parents as soon as they find out. I do appreciate your offer though.

I know how much you hate and discourage speeding and I really was contemplating whether or not I should post it on the forum or not.

I'm a young guy who screwed up and am looking for some type of guidance.

I’ll tell you one thing when I got into my daily driver this morning to go to work I was in the far right lane doing about 55MPH with the trucks on the highway.

My bubble has officially been busted. Speed is a thing of the past.
-Side Skirts
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
Old 05-07-2007, 11:43 AM   #26

Go with a lawyer! At least he will reduce the exposure you have now. Plead diminished capacity throw in Your Honor I was possesed by Hans Stuck. Just messing good luck
Old 05-07-2007, 11:45 AM   #27

Slightly different scenario:

I was going 95+ in a 25 zone @ 4AM one morning about 15 years ago (younger-dumber days) got caught on radar for 96mph. Lost my license for 6 months. Paid $800+ for fines. But like I said, different scenario. Go to court and ask the clerk if you need representation, they will most likely know. Good luck man.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:47 AM   #28

Quote:
Thanks for all the reply. I thought surely I would be bashed for posting about my speeding violation.

I know I was wrong and that’s why I have no intentions on actually contending the ticket. My biggest worry is having my driver’s license suspended.

I have attached a copy of the ticket here if anyone is interested in looking at it. Both front and back sides are there.

I was circled as an Infraction so I hope that plays in my favor. I looked up the California violation code and it states the following:

"22348. (a) Notwithstanding subdivision (b) of Section 22351, a person shall not drive a vehicle upon a highway with a speed limit established pursuant to Section 22349 or 22356 at a speed greater than that speed limit.
(b) A person who drives a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than 100 miles per hour is guilty of an infraction punishable, as follows:

(1) Upon a first conviction of a violation of this subdivision, by a fine of not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500). The court may also suspend the privilege of the person to operate a motor vehicle for a period not to exceed 30 days pursuant to Section 13200.5. "

From my understanding of that paragraph the MAXIMUM punishment is a $500 Fine and 30 day license suspension.

I have no problem paying the fine; I just can't live without driving as I drive about 30miles a day to Work, Work, & some more Work.....and then the gym.

Is an attorney for a Traffic Ticket really necessary?

@Perfectlap - I am under my parents insurance policy with everyone else in the family and the car is listed under a LLC.

Oh and the posted Speed Limit in the area was 70MPH not 65MPH. Not that 5MPH would really help me out much.

EDIT: Ticket Copy Removed.

If suspension is your only issue, that means if you admit responsibility to the ticket, then you leave the issue of your suspension up to the judge. Are you willing to leave the facts up to the judge not to suspend your license? If you were the judge, what would you do if a 21 year old kid in a Porsche was "racing" with a BMW, clocked at 124 mph on a 70 MPH limited access highway? Huh.

I say again, you need a lawyer to eliminate the possibility of suspension out of the equation, if possible.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:51 AM   #29

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
usually the car that gets pulled over is the one that is the colosest to the cop car, in this case being you.
also, when you see a little sports car and a big luxury car trveling the same speed, or even the bmw going faster, you always look much faster so hence you getting pulled over.
sorry to hear about that tho man, please Do post what happens if anyone else should find themselves in such situation, as weird as that sounds that im trying to help someone who went that fast, but it never hurts to know.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
Old 05-07-2007, 11:51 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradtan
Slightly different scenario:

I was going 95+ in a 25 zone @ 4AM one morning about 15 years ago (younger-dumber days) got caught on radar for 96mph. Lost my license for 6 months. Paid $800+ for fines. But like I said, different scenario. Go to court and ask the clerk if you need representation, they will most likely know. Good luck man.
WAYY different Scenario. You did close to 4 times the posted speed limit.

From what I've read and learned so far is that MAXIMUM suspension would be 30days.

I'm crossing my fingers and praying for a FINE.
-Side Skirts
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
Old 05-07-2007, 11:54 AM   #31

Quote:
Thanks for all the reply.EDIT: Ticket Copy Removed.
Forgive me, but I don't see a copy of your ticket on the site. I'd like to take a look at it to see exactly what it says. If you removed it because of the personal information, then PM it to me. Or your don't have to. Best of luck either way.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:56 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster

While it isn't going down all that smoothly, I do hope you come out of this OK. And also, that you learned to confine your 70+ MPH activity to the Track where it belongs and appreciate the meaning of Impulse Control the next time you get the urge to take a speed challenge...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
if I'm not mistaken the male brain doesn't finish developing until the age of 25(frontal lobe?). The part of the brain that manages risk and its consequences.
Another reason why I don't buy cars from women (all) or young drivers(most).
Its either a case of a car that has been neglected or raced.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Old 05-07-2007, 12:00 PM   #33

TriGem..I can't give any of my $.02 about the topic but all i could say is...i know it took a lot of guts and thinking when you post this thread. i give you props on that one...
At least, you learned you're lesson and could still hang out in this forum..plus it makes me comfortable to think that, when in the future i have some question non car related, our members here wil chime in
Old 05-07-2007, 12:18 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
if I'm not mistaken the male brain doesn't finish developing until the age of 25(frontal lobe?).
I'm 42. You mean this is as smart as I'm gonna get? Bummer.

The one good decision you made was to stop. You think the BMW got away, but perhaps he didn't. As they say, you can't out run a Motorola. If CHP got that BMW somewhere down the road, he's in a bunch more trouble than you are. On top of speeding, reckless and everything else they could think of, he would likely also be arrested for fleeing and alluding. It doesn't feel like a break right now, but if all you received was a speeding ticket, you got away light. Personally, I wouldn't make too many waves. A prosecutor might realize how many charges the Officer missed and tack them on as a special parting gift.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Old 05-07-2007, 12:19 PM   #35

I do strongly suggest that you NOT mention the other car. There are several sections in the CA code dealing with SPEED CONTESTS. You do not want to go there!

Good luck.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:31 PM   #36

I had my license suspended for 14 days in PA. I was doing 86 in a 55 (31mph over, the exact minimum enough to suspend my license without any prior points.) But I was able to get a temporary work license for those 14 days that allowed me to drive to only work and school. I would see if CA does anything similar.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:31 PM   #37

"if I'm not mistaken the male brain doesn't finish developing until the age of 25(frontal lobe?). The part of the brain that manages risk and its consequences."

*L* Thank you, that overgeneralization just made my day. For the record, I believe you are referencing the completion of mylenation of the axon sheaths, but perhaps, I'll submit legislation to increase the driving age to 25 -- just to be safe. Maybe I should also push to have an extra line added on to the "yellow" sheet to prevent the sale of firearms to people that can't manage risk and consequences. *LOL* Hew, boy! Thanks again. I'm still laughing.

Last edited by cfos; 05-07-2007 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:47 PM   #38

Sorry to hear about your trouble. No you shouldn’t have done it, but I cannot imagine there is any one of us here who has not done at least one very stupid thing in our younger years. Personally, I am guilty of having done several things of this caliber and I am just thankful that I didn’t hurt anyone or wind up in jail. But, this is about you, not me.

I think your first step is to tell your Dad. Yes he is going to be angry, but he is probably the best first stop in getting this behind you. He is probably going to find out anyway, and the sooner the better. I am 33 and I still call my Dad to get his advice when I run into difficult sitatuations. A good lawyer is probably the next good step after that.

Bottom line, you were lucky - learn from this – don’t do it again. It probably seems terrible right now, but in the grand scheme of things, it will all be OK. This will pass with time.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Old 05-07-2007, 12:54 PM   #39

Good Luck

We all have made mistakes. Thanks for sharing this. It should give all of us reason to pause. You may have even saved a few lives, or at least someone else going through the same deal.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:04 PM   #40
DrRoentgen

Trigem, get a lawyer, preferably one from the district or county in which the infraction occured . I wouldn't go to court alone, you have no story to justify this. In NY the additional reckless fine would be $750.00 along with about 250 in regular fines, that doesn't include the ass reaming the insurance company will give you when they find out. Get a lawyer, (did I say get a lawyer?). If you get the right one you might get a "no point" reduction, considering your speed, it's likely you will get points, better for them to be few. Then you can take the blood on the highway class and get them reduced, probably another 300 bucks.

Finally, I truly feel bad for you, I just had this happen last month at 90MPH and that was bad enough. It makes me wonder why any magazine can write that the 2.5 is slow, jeez 90 is barely into the power band...

Closed Thread