Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2007, 07:24 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Deeeeeppp Trouble!

Before I explain what happened to me yesterday I need everyone to know I haven't had a Speeding Ticket in almost 2 years. Also don't reply to the this thread if your just going to tell me how stupid I am for what I did blah blah blah. I know it was STUPID.

A friend of mine was having a birthday party and the JW Marriot in Palm Desert yesterday so I decided to just drive for the day rather than stay the whole weekend because I had too much going on to be gone all weekend. Left my house at about 5am and had a smooth drive down to traffic nothing.

On the way back home I was traveling between 70-90mph....just cursing. I look in the rear view mirror and there is a BMW 745LI coming up behind me fast so I gradually increase speed. Driver looks at me and gave me a nod but wouldn't pass me, he just stayed with me. I began to speed up and so did he. We got to about 154mph on a downhill slop of the 10west highway, as I began to slow down BAMMMM highway patrol sitting on the side of the road just shoots out. The BMW continues and I begin to pull to the right hoping the Patrol Office sees that the BMW is continuing and doesn't come after me. Sure enough I look back and lights and sounds all up the rear of my car. Took the first exit off the highway, Officer comes out and threatens to take the car and take me in. He asks me a good reason not to take me and I had nothing to say at all. HE HAD ME ON RADAR AT 124MPH. I gave him all the information he asked for. He went back to his patrol car and wrote up at ticket for speed and listed 124mph as the approx speed. The Code violation listed is 22348(b). I'M SCREWED.

In posting this I am hoping someone here has knowledge of what I can expect when I receive the notice in the mail. I don't want to show up to the court as I have NO IDEA what I would say to the judge to explain that speed. Is it possible to just pay the fine and get it over with?

I know there are a few people on this forum that do serve as Police Officers in their respected areas. Are there any CHP officers on this forum?

Any HELP you guys can provide is much much much appreciated!

Oh ya and I CAN'T tell the parents! They would flip when they see the posted Speed.

~James

-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
Old 05-07-2007, 07:34 AM   #2
fab

ouch!
someone needs a V-1
painted bumperettes
autoband paint protection
wheel caps & colored crests
door sills
Valentine One
Old 05-07-2007, 07:36 AM   #3

I don't know about anything else, but I'd keep my yap shut about the bimmer. You could have easily been busted for engaging in a speed contest.
Consulting an attorney might be your best bet.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:37 AM   #4

I'd say your goose is cooked.

You MIGHT be able to get off with a hefty fine... but that much over the speed limit, in most states, is 'Reckless Driving', and can result in suspension of your driver's license.

If you're gonna haul ass, you need a radar detector. You should have let that beemer fly on by you and kept going about your biniss.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
Old 05-07-2007, 07:47 AM   #5

I'm pretty sure you can just pay the fine via mail or even internet now days. There is no way out of this type of ticket. Just pray your insurance company doesn't drop you. It will most likely go up in cost if they don't. Ohter than that you should be fine. Try not to get any more tickets. And slow down.

I'd rather look good going slow than look bad going fast.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:01 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to [z0ne] Send a message via MSN to [z0ne]
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
I'd rather look good going slow than look bad going fast.
Quoted for truth

Anyway, there really isn't much you can do to "get out" of that ticket. I assume it was a 65mph zone and you were doing, basically, double the speed limit. Maybe you can find a way to argue it down to something in the 100mph range? Ask for the calibration records on the RADAR gun and to see the gun to make sure it's accurate.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:10 AM   #7

edit

You should get a lawyer. From the sounds of it you're not for want of money. You need a lawyer and here's why.

In most states the speed you were going is considered reckless driving. For example going certain amount over the posted speed limit is considered reckless per se (as a matter of law).

Please carefully read the ticket he gave you. It should say what the officer cited you for. The citation will also tell you if it was either a civil infraction or a misdemeanor. If he cited you for a civil infraction, there's still the possibility that the officer gave his report the district attorney for review as a criminal case, considering your speed and the car you were "racing" with. [Racing and/or drag racing is a criminal offense in most states.]

If I were your attorney and the ticket was only for civil infraction I would simply pay it, admit responsibilty, with no questions asked, just so it doesnt enter the realm of a criminal case. (My rationale is If I were the prosecutor and saw this case I would charge you with reckless driving, considering your speed and the person you were driving against; OH yeah, and YOU WERE DRIVING A PORSCHE!! They really would want to make an example of you.) Of course you live in CA and a bunch of crazy things happen there. If this turns into a criminal case you are looking at the possibiility of jail, forfieture of the car (depending on state law), license suspension, fines, court costs, and community service.

You need not tell your parents and they have no right to know about your driving issues if you are over 18 years old. Are you? If they're paying the insurance tab they yolu'll have to fess up at some point.

Best of luck and I hope this helps./

Last edited by jeffsquire; 05-07-2007 at 08:18 AM.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:10 AM   #8

yeah sounds like you'd be smart to get a lawyer who is chummy with the municipal court prosecutor. I dunno but based on prior experiences of others I woud think that doing twice the speed limit will most likely get you a suspension. Twice the speed limit and an attempted get away definitely requires a lawyer visit. So I don't think its just a matter of paying the ticket.

Although I never got busted going warp speed like you
I was in fact a fixture in the courts in my formative (young and dumb) years. Rather than paying for the fines, (which would have been the biggest mistake I ever could have made in the state with the highest insurance prices) I instead went to court and before the hearing I would beg mercy from the prosecutor. I lucked out because the jurisdictions wanted cash. "ok we'll trade you that doing 25 over the limit and make it a no seat belt, impeding traffic and a fine of mmmm how about $200? and ZERO points" my reply: "deal!"

p.s.
is your insurance under your name and are you under 25?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 05-07-2007 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:13 AM   #9

Tough one. I really don't think you can do much about it. You must contact an Attorney.

I know this may mean that you need to talk to your parents to do this and that this will be tough, but as a father of 20 plus year old kids I would to tell you that I would rather hear about this kind of thing quickly so that I can help.

If you show up in court unprepared and the Judge “Throws the Book at you” it will be impossible to undo anything, and your parents will find out!

Get an Attorney!
2008 Carrera S Cabriolet, Meteor Grey Metallic, Stainless Steel Exhaust Pipes, Heated Front Seats, Navigation, Floor Mats – I know the Porsche ones suck but they came with the car, Park Assist, Power Seats, Self Dimming Mirrors, 19 inch Sport Design Wheels – Classic Car and Classic Wheels, Bose, Sports Chrono Plus. Mods so Far: XPEL Clear Bra, Smart Top, Dension iPod Integration, Clear Side Markers

2001 MB CLK320 with a collection of performance mods.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:19 AM   #10

Ouch! I am very sorry to hear what happened to you. Yes it was stupid but I can't say I would not have let my competitive spirit get the better of me in a situation like that and done the same thing. It's just a guy thing to do. Just pray you don't get a woman judge. Here is my advice:

1. Get a lawyer for this one and plea bargain it down as much as possible.
2. Get a Valentine 1

P.S. Last month a couple of guys driving Ferarri's were nailed for doing 140 MPH on Ocean Parkway on there way to the weekly Sunday cars guys meet-up at Long Islands CapTree State Park. So these guys were smart enough to make enough money to own Ferarri's but just as smart as you when it came to speeding.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:28 AM   #11

Check this web site:

http://helpigotaticket.com/speed/ptbypt.html
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
Old 05-07-2007, 09:09 AM   #12

First Offense?

Not knowing what your citation reads (civil or worse). I think your money would be well spent on legal representation here. I have seen in CA it going both ways for 100mph plus. Certainly, if the officer thought you racing, my bet would be on a more severe charge. hence the importance of getting a lawyer, experience in this kind of infraction. Good luck.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:25 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Damn dude,good luck!
Old 05-07-2007, 10:02 AM   #14

sounds like you should give this guy a call he sits as a traffic court judge as well as being an attorney!
local news clip :
http://www.traffic-ticket-attorney.com/video.html
http://www.traffic-ticket-attorney.com/victory.asp

Last edited by Perfectlap; 05-07-2007 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:18 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Thanks for all the reply. I thought surely I would be bashed for posting about my speeding violation.

I know I was wrong and that’s why I have no intentions on actually contending the ticket. My biggest worry is having my driver’s license suspended.

I have attached a copy of the ticket here if anyone is interested in looking at it. Both front and back sides are there.

I was circled as an Infraction so I hope that plays in my favor. I looked up the California violation code and it states the following:

"22348. (a) Notwithstanding subdivision (b) of Section 22351, a person shall not drive a vehicle upon a highway with a speed limit established pursuant to Section 22349 or 22356 at a speed greater than that speed limit.
(b) A person who drives a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than 100 miles per hour is guilty of an infraction punishable, as follows:

(1) Upon a first conviction of a violation of this subdivision, by a fine of not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500). The court may also suspend the privilege of the person to operate a motor vehicle for a period not to exceed 30 days pursuant to Section 13200.5. "

From my understanding of that paragraph the MAXIMUM punishment is a $500 Fine and 30 day license suspension.

I have no problem paying the fine; I just can't live without driving as I drive about 30miles a day to Work, Work, & some more Work.....and then the gym.

Is an attorney for a Traffic Ticket really necessary?

@Perfectlap - I am under my parents insurance policy with everyone else in the family and the car is listed under a LLC.

Oh and the posted Speed Limit in the area was 70MPH not 65MPH. Not that 5MPH would really help me out much.

EDIT: Ticket Copy Removed.
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)

Last edited by TriGem2k; 05-07-2007 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:40 AM   #16

Smile

If you want a bashing, I would be happy to give you one.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:41 AM   #17

Is "Traffic School" an option for you? You may avoid points and the insurance company finding out, although I'm not sure if this is so in your case due to the specific charges.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:47 AM   #18

http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/selfhelp/traffic/

This site will be of some help.,

Old 05-07-2007, 10:52 AM   #19

did you listen watch the clip that lawyer has dismissed a few cases at over 100mph. ? Says in some instances you have two chances to dismiss the case if 1-the cop fails to respond in writing to your request for a trial and 2-cop fails to appear. If you get the 30 day suspension no doubt your insurance rates will sky rocket and I'm sure your folks will notice that when they renew coverage. If you are forced out on your own insurance you will pay dearly.

semi-related, I saw this in person once. I was in traffic court for my latest ticket and bumped into a good friend of mine who is a cop.
Oh yeah and she's about a 9 in the looks department, she was working the undercover detail as a hooker --I kid you not. She busted about 7 or 8 guys(one of which we went to high school with! LOL) who were all sitting in the court room waiting for the judge. These guys were all sweating bullets, can you imagine the humiliation? Court room was packed!
As it turns out her partner failed to appear due to some mix up on receiving the subpoenas. And it wasn't the first time it happened. Defense lawyers protested and the Judge interrupted them mid sentece "DISMISSED! NEXT!".
She's FBI I nowadays.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:53 AM   #20

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
James how did the Boxster feel at 154mph?

Closed Thread