Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2007, 02:39 AM   #61

Let's Keep This Civil

MNBoxster and Bisimoto,

Both of you have something to contribute here but this discussion is headed down the wrong path.

MNBoxster - I note a bit of disdain ...you have issues with the methodology/approach but it does read as both a personal attack and that you are attempting to "win" some knowledge war. You've made your point.

Bisimoto - You've responded to MNBoxster by defending yourself....PS. clean up your signature line act or become a sponsor.

Each of you appears to be on a soapbox....so since Bisimoto likes to research/experiment and Jim doesn't have a dyno - I suggest that you collaborate on the terms of an experiment to put this back/forth to rest. Another forum member near Bisimoto can agree to be the "guinea pig".

If you can't agree then both of you should stop participating in this thread.

RKwei

rkwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 04:03 AM   #62

Send a message via AIM to Bisimoto
Thumbs up

RKwei, I agree. We can discuss the sponsorship via PMs. Thanks.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:28 PM   #63

greetings just desnorkled yesterday. no matter what anyone thinks it sounds better and louder. not like you did headers louder just louder i like it. i have a plastic screen back there already so the garbage doesnt come in and i dont think water is an issue if it wasnt already b 4 desnorkleing. just my 2 cents

:dance:

bill
surfbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 04:49 PM   #64

I desnorkeled my 2000 about a year ago, as for power increase? as for sounding better, oh yeah. I live and Florida and my Box is a daily driver, I drive through downpours quite a bit with no problems and honestly looking at it I don't know how the snorkel would keep out water in the first place.
johne4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 06:37 PM   #65

I also desnorkled today and have already upgraded to the mesh inserts on the vents on the side of the car. I love the sound much more throaty then before but not so loud where it's ridiculous and sounds like a honda civic with some cherry bomb exhaust. Good mod for not spending a penny.

Last edited by clb0099; 04-22-2007 at 07:41 PM.
clb0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 07:42 PM   #66

Hi,

@RKwei - I don't make the rules here... So, Will Do...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:21 PM   #67
boxsterz

This is very strange. I de-snorked my S today, and I didn't notice anymore growl up top. However I seemed to miss the lovely pipe organ music around 2-3k. The hard to describe sewing machine whirring sound I grew to love is gone or at least greatly diminished.

From my impression, it seemed slightly lower on torque down low. Could be my imagination, perhaps the instant gratification of the whirring sound while mashing the gas made my brain think that I was accelerating faster. I guess I'll trust the data.

Last edited by boxsterz; 04-22-2007 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:15 AM   #68

Sorry to keep this monster thread going but wanted to put my 2 cents worth in....

I de-snorkled my 2000 S on Friday night and drove it a bit this weekend and didn't notice any loss or gain of performance, OR sound to be honest.

I went to my friends house yesterday and de-snorkled his 2000 S while we were grilling burgers. Once again I didn't notice anything, however he said he did..??

Sooo...after reading all these posts I think it is safe to say..." Your experience will vary."
IowaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:36 AM   #69

Somewhat related...
A new friend I made at the track recently (Red group, instructor, club racer, owns two 993's, one 964 and his wife drives a 944) asked me to switch cars on our 20mls way back from the track. I drove his white '95 993 and he took my 987S. He always was saying how convertibles weren't his thing so he didn't want the top down on the Box. So there we go, he leads, I follow. (Confession: I had just detailed it so I wanted to enjoy the view ) The whole trip is on great twisty country roads (Limerock area). After a few miles he stops and with a grin on his face goes: "OK, now I want the top down." So down goes the top, and we continue spiritedly...

After we made it back, we chatted for a while. He could not stop gushing about how good the stock suspension was, how fun the Box was to drive (especially with the top down), how tight the car had been made, how nice the interior was, but most of all he could not stop talking about the SOUND, especially above 3k+ rpms with the top down. He said Porsche engineers must have spent a lot of time and effort to design a sound like this. So methinks, why mess with success?

Z.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:22 AM   #70
1JB

Z12358 I agree. Car sounds great and runs great. Why mess with perfection. This topic has been debated with varying opinions here and elsewhere. If there is an HP increase and a significant sound increase I would think there would have been less debate. To each their own.
Auto Climate
Bose with Windstop
CD Changer
Heated Seats
Clear Sidemarkers
Midnight Blue Side Vents
1JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:23 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

For those worrying about water and cigarettes, don't forget that the Intake is not a direct path to the Engine. It has the filter between it and the Throttle Body.

At the extreme, the cigarette might start the Filter on fire, assuming it was lit. But most Filters today are mildly Fire-resistant to avoid an issue if the car backfired.

Personally, having owned several mid-engined cars, I would never own one without also having an extinguisher on board. There are many more engine fires in mid-engined cars than a traditional front-engine configuration as a percentage. This is due to the lack of airflow through the bay and much higher bay temps. A Fire is much more likely from any number of other factors than a cigarette picked up through the intake.

For water to cause a problem, you'd basically have to put a hose right up to it for sufficient time to overpower the Drain, again, possible, but unlikely...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
What good is a fire extinguisher on a Boxster? It takes too long to access the engine compartment by the time you get in there your engine will be toast!
2000SoCalBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:28 AM   #72

I just desnorkeled my Boxster. Havn't taken it for a good run yet. The weather was bad and I did the desnorkeling while doing other maintenance.

One thing I did notice is how vulnerable the vent is to water. What is that squared-off cup looking thing that hangs off the end of the snorkel close to the side intake vent? It looks like it would be great at catching and holding water when the snorkel is in place.

2000SoCalBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote