Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2007, 02:56 PM   #1

Whoa!!! Just desnorkled!!!

It didn't even take me 10 minutes and I hopped in the car to start it up. It didn't sound any different at first and I was a little dissappointed. Pulled it out of the garage, let it warm up, but as I was just driving around warming up I could actually tell that it was more responsive already. It warmed up and I got on it. WHOA!!!! It sounds completely different when the rpms go up!! I eventually brought it back into the parking garage and could notice a significantly deeper/louder rumble as I was driving back to my parking place! I LOVE IT!! AWESOME MOD!!!! MY DAY HAS BEEN MADE!!!

pompous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:00 PM   #2
blkboxster

yeah its a pretty good mod, now dont get any water in the intake
Old 04-17-2007, 03:17 PM   #3

It hasn't seen anything but sunshine and the inside of the garage since I've owned it. Plan on keeping it that way to lol Although, those that say there is no hp increase from this mod...I gotta disagree. It felt more responsive immediately outta the garage and seemed quicker when I opened it up to. I'm so happy I have done this mod to my car!
Old 04-17-2007, 03:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkboxster
yeah its a pretty good mod, now dont get any water in the intake
Exactly how careful do you have to be with the hose? I only hand wash my car, but if the spray accidently shoots in the intake for a second (quite possible), is that going to be disaster? I'm 50/50 on this mod and would only be doing it for the sound (not really convinced on any real HP gain).
Atari-style PCM Navigation
OEM Carrera Lights
B&M clone short shifter
Crappy stereo
HIFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:48 PM   #5

From what I've read, it seems more convincing that removing the snorkle is no more dangerous or susceptible to water than having it in there. There is an arguement that it is possible to get water up in the intake, but its pretty much invalid in my opinion. Sound difference is amazing especially at higher rpm. Do it...you'll love it!!!
Old 04-17-2007, 04:04 PM   #6
blkboxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompous
From what I've read, it seems more convincing that removing the snorkle is no more dangerous or susceptible to water than having it in there. There is an arguement that it is possible to get water up in the intake, but its pretty much invalid in my opinion. Sound difference is amazing especially at higher rpm. Do it...you'll love it!!!
another worry which is rare, if a lighted cigarette would go in the intake catching the engine on fire
Old 04-17-2007, 05:27 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkboxster
another worry which is rare, if a lighted cigarette would go in the intake catching the engine on fire
That could(but is extremely unlikely) happen w/ the snorkel on as well.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:02 PM   #8

Well I dont smoke so I dont worry about the cigarette issue...but I am careful when washing not to spray water directly up there. I do drive the car in the rain and have had no issues so far. Just swapped air filters the other day, actually, and coulndt notice any sign of water ever hitting the filter.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:10 PM   #9

I did mine last month and I HATED IT.... if below 4500rpm
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:15 PM   #10

Hi,

For those worrying about water and cigarettes, don't forget that the Intake is not a direct path to the Engine. It has the filter between it and the Throttle Body.

At the extreme, the cigarette might start the Filter on fire, assuming it was lit. But most Filters today are mildly Fire-resistant to avoid an issue if the car backfired.

Personally, having owned several mid-engined cars, I would never own one without also having an extinguisher on board. There are many more engine fires in mid-engined cars than a traditional front-engine configuration as a percentage. This is due to the lack of airflow through the bay and much higher bay temps. A Fire is much more likely from any number of other factors than a cigarette picked up through the intake.

For water to cause a problem, you'd basically have to put a hose right up to it for sufficient time to overpower the Drain, again, possible, but unlikely...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 04-17-2007 at 09:20 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:22 AM   #11

OK, why did Porsche put the snorkel there?
Are there any negative consequences from removing it?
Are there any before/after sound files available (links)?
Is the de-snorkel reversible?
Thx.
Z.

P.S. pompous (and others) put at least some basic info about your car in the sig so that all others can place your posts in some context.

Last edited by z12358; 04-18-2007 at 03:26 AM.
z12358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
There are many more engine fires in mid-engined cars than a traditional front-engine configuration as a percentage. Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

ummm.....I guess I better figure out how to get to my engine!!! I don't have a clue how to open that thing up....this angle here, this angle there....
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by super66
ummm.....I guess I better figure out how to get to my engine!!! I don't have a clue how to open that thing up....this angle here, this angle there....

I don't know how to either and from what I've heard, Porsche doesn't tell you.

I am assuming you open the top half way and while that little flap-thing is raised, you can remove the plastic screws and pull the carpet off.

I'll try it today.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist
I don't know how to either and from what I've heard, Porsche doesn't tell you.

I am assuming you open the top half way and while that little flap-thing is raised, you can remove the plastic screws and pull the carpet off.

I'll try it today.
I remember there are directions in the manual.....I just trusted that it was in there
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:12 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by z12358
OK, why did Porsche put the snorkel there?
Are there any negative consequences from removing it?
Are there any before/after sound files available (links)?
Is the de-snorkel reversible?
Thx.
Z.

P.S. pompous (and others) put at least some basic info about your car in the sig so that all others can place your posts in some context.
Hi,

The Snorkel is a Noise Abatement Device designed for ROW models, principally Switzerland, but with an eye toward more governments enacting similar legislation.

There are really no negative consequences to removing it beyond losing it's silencing effect.

It can be reinstalled. Some have more difficulty doing this than others. I reinstalled mine at the time I removed it, just to see, and I didn't have any trouble at all...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 04-18-2007 at 07:03 AM.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:16 AM   #16

Jim, is yours still removed?
Old 04-18-2007, 06:25 AM   #17

I have been thinking about installing a fire extinguisher as well. Jim, in the case of an engine fire, how would you get the extinguisher to it in time to do any good?

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:42 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by super66
Hi,

I highly recommend going with the Brey-Krause Seat Extinguisher Bracket. It's well made and easily installed. Then, I recommend getting a 2.5 lb. Halon 1211 Extinguisher available from any number of Marine or Aircraft Parts Suppliers, I got mine from WestPac Marine - http://www.westpacmarine.com/amerex/halon.asp

Halon 1211 is an effective extinguishing agent for all types of fires and evaporates leaving no messy clean-up.

If you ever did have a problem, you do not want to open the Engine compartment, rather, get on the ground and shoot the extinguisher upward through the Wheel Well. If a 2.5 lb. extinguisher doesn't do the job, then you gotta leave it to the pros, just have your insurance agents number handy.

One could also go with an engine mounted system and these too are not prohibitively expensive, like those made by SPA Technique - http://www.spatechnique.com/product_pages/productdetails.asp?product=MFE75-A|135 . You'd lose some trunk space for the Tank, and have an activation switch mounted somewhere in the cockpit, but I think a portable extinguisher is probably adequate. Hope this helps...

Old 04-18-2007, 06:43 AM   #19
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
There are many more engine fires in mid-engined cars than a traditional front-engine configuration as a percentage.
I'd be interested in seeing the statistics on that. Most mid-engine cars are high performance cars also. I wonder if you look at engine placement in the sports car market segment if there is really any difference in engine fire frequency. Iv'e seen plenty of turbocharged front engine sports cars with engine bay cooling issues.

Having said that, I'm sure the Fiero really canted the numbers towards the mid-engine fire tendancy.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:53 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
I'd be interested in seeing the statistics on that. Most mid-engine cars are high performance cars also. I wonder if you look at engine placement in the sports car market segment if there is really any difference in engine fire frequency. Iv'e seen plenty of turbocharged front engine sports cars with engine bay cooling issues.

Having said that, I'm sure the Fiero really canted the numbers towards the mid-engine fire tendancy.
Hi,

I don't have any statistics at hand, although in this statistics crazed world, I bet they exist. But engine fires are somewhat common in the Esprit, the NSX, the Fiero and even the Boxster has experienced numerous engine fire reports.

Funny story, the only fire I ever had in my Esprit was on the Track at BIR. I was going for a Track Day and wanted to swap Brake Pads. I stayed up all night prepping the car and then drove up to Brainerd thinking this would be sufficient to bed-in the Pads. Anyway, I got there, took some Hot Laps and pulled back into the Pits. As I was walking away from the car, someone yelled "Hey - your car's on fire!" I turned and there was smoke coming from the right front wheel well - the Paint on the Pad Backing Plate had caught fire! Luckily, there was a bucket of water right there and I threw it on the wheel and put it out. I continued the day without incident...