Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2007, 08:47 AM   #1

@ DrBurton - Wheels SOLD

Quote:

"Wheels are SOLD"

Originally Posted by drburton

Hi,

Just curious... did you sell them to this guy possibly? If so, he's flipping them on another Forum.

Username: Mike Power:

For sale 18inch wheels with tires Boxster S 2005 model

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I sell my 18inch Boxster S 2005(model) wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires. I have done with the wheels 16.000 miles and the tires are newer and I have only done 4.000 miles. They have no scratch at all. Contact me for more details and photos. I live in Greece.
E-mail : mpowersurf@hotmail.com
Tel.Number : 0030 6977712112
I ask for 3000euro
*sic. (3,000 Euro = 3,986.52 US Dollar )

Btw, it's just his 1st Post on that Board. Seems like too many coincidences to me... Especially the Car MY, Tire Make and Mileage, and the timing...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:50 AM   #2

yah, Jim..I saw that one too on the other forum this morning
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:57 AM   #3

Why would he say there's 16k miles on the wheels, though. Covering up tracks, perhaps?
Z.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by z12358
Why would he say there's 16k miles on the wheels, though. Covering up tracks, perhaps?
Z.
Hi,

May have asked how many miles did the wheels alone accumulate. I was in contact with Doc (1st in line actually) about these wheels and was interested because he's just across town and I could pick them up locally - Huge savings. We agreed on a price and then I found they didn't fit. I actually thought of picking them up anyway and flipping them, but didn't think that was fair to Doc, so I let them go. But Doc has an '05 'S' and Mich SP2's w/ 4k mi. on them, pretty coincidental if they're not his old wheels...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 03-27-2007 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:14 AM   #5

Sorry, Jim. For some reason I thought Doc stated that the wheels had 4k miles on them. Yes, this does look like a flip -- though nothing illegal about that.

So looks like used stock 987 18"s could bring much more than $1500. Good to know.

Z.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:16 AM   #6

Wheel-rim arbitrage is a tough way to make a living. Drburtons price was a good deal but flipper or no that MPower guy will be waiting a long time to get $4000 USD for 18" 987 S.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:24 AM   #7
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
Wheel-rim arbitrage is a tough way to make a living. Drburtons price was a good deal but flipper or no that MPower guy will be waiting a long time to get $4000 USD for 18" 987 S.
But if the guy did buy them from DrBurton, the US dollar is very weak now vs. the Euro!

$1,500 USD is < 1,125 Euro.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:39 AM   #8

Garage
He's shipping the wheels to the UK?

Hope he gets paid; one local guy who posts on the board was really interested.
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:50 AM   #9

Not to get too geeky about it, but it's pretty obvious that MPower used yesterday's spot rate of 1.33 because 3000 Euros is almost exactly $4000 dollars. But my comment about the soft market for 18" 987S wasn't based on currency conversion.

1. There's fitment issues for 986 owners
2. Obviously 987 S owners have them or "better"
3. The market is restricted to 05-06 model year base owners as they're not fitted for TPMS, but many of these owners have upgraded rims
4. Track users aren't going to pay $4000 for limited use wheels
4. The market is not only soft but declining. For example, in 2005 Wheel enhancements were selling the rims-only for $2,500 but they're now offered at $1500. Obviously, used tires aren't worth $2500.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by z12358
Sorry, Jim. For some reason I thought Doc stated that the wheels had 4k miles on them. Yes, this does look like a flip -- though nothing illegal about that.

So looks like used stock 987 18"s could bring much more than $1500. Good to know.

Z.
Hi,

No there is nothing illegal about it. And, had I paid the asking price, or even done the deal w/ a stranger, I might feel differently.

But, Doc and I negotiated a good price. And at least morally, if I had bought them and flipped them, I would have felt I cheated Doc, because I think our price was reached partly due to being fellow members of this forum.

Nothing illegal, but I would have felt like I was taking advantage of Doc's fairness and generosity if I had.

I like looking at this Mug in the mirror every morning and want to keep it that way...

Old 03-27-2007, 09:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

No there is nothing illegal about it. And, had I paid the asking price, or even done the deal w/ a stranger, I might feel differently.

But, Doc and I negotiated a good price. And at least morally, if I had bought them and flipped them, I would have felt I cheated Doc, because I think our price was reached partly due to being fellow members of this forum.

Nothing illegal, but I would have felt like I was taking advantage of Doc's fairness and generosity if I had.

I like looking at this Mug in the mirror every morning and want to keep it that way...

Absolutely agree. Didn't mean to imply I'd have acted differently. Though, the outside guy maybe doesn't share the same fellowship thus feeling less morally constrained about the flip.
Z.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:37 AM   #12

That guy didn't buy my wheels. I sold them to a member at the caymanclub.net. He lives in North Carolina and is using the wheels as an extra set for Autocross.

I did sell the wheels for a good deal and partially b/c I was selling them within the Porsche community. Had I gone to E-bay I would have asked for more.

On a side note. Jim, if you purchased the wheels from me and resold them I would have been fine with that. Wanted them out of the garage and that would have saved me the hassle of shipping.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 12:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by drburton
...On a side note. Jim, if you purchased the wheels from me and resold them I would have been fine with that. Wanted them out of the garage and that would have saved me the hassle of shipping.
Hi,

NOW you tell me... lol Well, I guess that's why they call it coincidence, hellava one though...