Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2016, 05:15 PM   #1

Scan Gauge II Code & Engine Vitals Reader Group Buy OEM Flush Mount 97-04

Thank you for everyone who purchased one. I am working on making more soon.

Last edited by GatorLapis; 08-17-2016 at 06:29 AM.
GatorLapis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:18 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Is that somehow different from this other than being mounted in a 4 CD holder?
Ebay:

Amazon:
Old 07-09-2016, 06:50 PM   #3

thank you very much

Last edited by GatorLapis; 08-17-2016 at 06:30 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:29 PM   #4

Just unboxed and installed my Scangauge and mount I got from Alex.

Part came in a padded envelope and wrapped in some rambunctious saran wrap. It was great!

Here are a few pics of it out of the box:

Installation took all of five minutes. Pulled out my cubby, ran the line behind the dash, plugged everything in, and popped the mount into the hole formerly taken up by the cubby. It took more time to stage and take the pictures than the actual installation

Here is the pic showing where I ran the line:

Here is the shot plugging the wire into the unit:

The final product:

Overall, it was a great experience, Alex is easy to deal with, and the part is absolutely simple to install. If you are looking at adding a Scangauge to your car, this definitely make it a clean install. I would recommend it!
onefasazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:11 PM   #5

Looking good, thanks for the great write-up

Can you somehow set the unit to report faults/codes as they occur? real-time? or needs manual scanning

thanks
Old 07-22-2016, 03:38 AM   #6

I am not 100% sure but here is some info on real time code scanning ScanGaugeII : Linear Logic - Home of the ScanGauge
Old 07-22-2016, 06:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post

Can you somehow set the unit to report faults/codes as they occur? real-time? or needs manual scanning

thanks
It can only handle "global" OBD II codes, but not those that use proprietary code access (air bags, ABS/PSM, cam deviation values, maintenance alert resets, etc.).
Old 07-22-2016, 08:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post

thanks
It will not do auto reporting of CELs. No Scangague I've used has done that, although I haven't really checked the manual. You can check it out here:

http://www.scangauge.com/wp-content/uploads/documentation/sgii-legacy/SG_Manual_2-51.pdf

Its good to read global OBDII codes on the fly, but I would use a Durametric for proper diagnosis.
onefasazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:48 AM   #9

Thanks for the confirm JFP

One, cheers for linking up, interesting stuff
Old 07-22-2016, 09:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefasazn View Post
It will not do auto reporting of CELs. No Scangague I've used has done that, although I haven't really checked the manual. You can check it out here:

http://www.scangauge.com/wp-content/uploads/documentation/sgii-legacy/SG_Manual_2-51.pdf

Its good to read global OBDII codes on the fly, but I would use a Durametric for proper diagnosis.
Check page 3 of the manual you linked, it does do global OBD II codes that would trigger a CEL.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Check page 3 of the manual you linked, it does do global OBD II codes that would trigger a CEL.

That means... EVERYONE should buy one! Amazon raised the price from 109 to 136
Old 07-22-2016, 11:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorLapis View Post
That means... EVERYONE should buy one! Amazon raised the price from 109 to 136
Not really, you can get a $10 tool that does the same things.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Not really, you can get a $10 tool that does the same things.
send me the link... this gauge is not just a code reader.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:04 PM   #14

Quote:
send me the link... this gauge is not just a code reader.
I am referring to the cheap Cen Tech scan tool that Harbor Freight has on sale from time to time for under $10 ($9.99 on sale with a coupon, if memory serves). It will read or display everything your gauge does. May not look as cute, but gets the job done.

Any "global" scan tool should be able tor read any data available from the OBD II port on any post 1996 vehicle, which includes all of the stuff this thing does. Some display it in a prettier fashion than others, but the data is what is available on the vehicle, not the tool. That is the basis of the OBD II standards put in place by the EPA when they wrote the rules for what the port has to be able to read.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 07-22-2016 at 01:15 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:22 PM   #15

Quote:
I am referring to the cheap Cen Tech scan tool that Harbor Freight has on sale from time to time for under $10 ($9.99 on sale with a coupon, if memory serves). It will read or display everything your gauge does. May not look as cute, but gets the job done.

Any "global" scan tool should be able tor read any data available from the OBD II port on any post 1996 vehicle, which includes all of the stuff this thing does. Some display it in a prettier fashion than others, but the data is what is available on the vehicle, not the tool. That is the basis of the OBD II standards put in place by the EPA when they wrote the rules for what the port has to be able to read.
I dont know what harbor freight store gives you a 90% discount but their website's price is 69.99 plus tax and the online coupons say 99.99

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1366&bih=643&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=harbor+freight+scan+tool+coupon+&oq=harbor+freight+scan+tool+coupon+&gs_l=img.3...6231.6903.0.7572.4.4.0.0.0.0.56.209.4 .4.0....0...1c.1.64.img..0.0.0.raZR_7ZkzI8

Even if it is 9.99 it doesnt compare... the scan gauge II is like an iphone and the centech is a generic samsung phone that you get from metro pcs for free. Might get the job done but it takes longer to load, has mini print and is not user friendly especially while driving the car at the track which is why the scan gauge II is so beneficial. You would have to carry or mount that huge device plus try to scroll down to find what you need.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:02 PM   #16

Quote:
I dont know what harbor freight store gives you a 90% discount but their website's price is 69.99 plus tax and the online coupons say 99.99

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1366&bih=643&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=harbor+freight+scan+tool+coupon+&oq=harbor+freight+scan+tool+coupon+&gs_l=img.3...6231.6903.0.7572.4.4.0.0.0.0.56.209.4 .4.0....0...1c.1.64.img..0.0.0.raZR_7ZkzI8

Even if it is 9.99 it doesnt compare... the scan gauge II is like an iphone and the centech is a generic samsung phone that you get from metro pcs for free. Might get the job done but it takes longer to load, has mini print and is not user friendly especially while driving the car at the track which is why the scan gauge II is so beneficial. You would have to carry or mount that huge device plus try to scroll down to find what you need.
Harbor Freight occasional runs loss leader ads for several items, including a basic scan tool for less than $10. It is not the unit you linked to, but a much more basic tool, and it can read everything the overpriced Scan Gauge can as well. Amazon is featuring one on their prime with free two day shipping for less than $15 at the moment, so they do exist:

Last edited by JFP in PA; 07-22-2016 at 02:05 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 02:12 PM   #17
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:

Bad comparison. iPhones and iOS are complete garbage since Jobs died. I have 2 iPhone 6S's in my home and I will never buy another Apple product. These 2 are being tossed as soon as the contract is up.

Great mod, BTW! Looks very clean and well done
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 04:19 PM   #18

Thanks JFP i see what you mean.
Particle wave... LOL
Old 07-26-2016, 07:51 AM   #19

I just finished 4 sets. Update: 3 left - thank you guys!

Amazon has them listed at 136 and Advance Auto wants 159 for them.

Video Review:

I am willing to let these go for 140 Shipped Almost no profit at all but I would like everyone that purchases one to review them. (Remember this includes the Scan Gauge II plus the flush mount and shipping)

Last edited by GatorLapis; 07-26-2016 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:23 PM   #20

How much is the actual unit modified to fit? Can they be separated?

geetee is offline   Reply With Quote