Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster & Cayman Detailing Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2017, 04:20 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
You want the effect on the top of this hood.

Meguiar's Tech: What is water beading? - Meguiar's

You are absolutely correct water beads are a problem but the pluses far outweigh that downside which is mitigated during your seasonal polishing. I'm not familiar enough non-beading waxes to say whether they protect the paint from environmental pollution and sun damage to the extent that most conventional sealants and waxes do but there's no doubt that the paint will remain well protected with a beading wax. Case in point I have family in Central Florida and I make a point to wax their cars seasonally which are parked outside during the day. Cars that are newer that are very obviously never waxed (non-enthusiast owned) are absolutely destroyed by the constant cycle of rain, intense sun, repeat. The color has faded, the clear coat completely peeled away and the base paint basically matte finish.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:20 PM   #42

You guys are confused about beading and sheeting. A good sealant/wax that beads will also sheet. It depends how the water ends up on the car and where the water is. Mist water on, it will bead, especially on a horizontal surface like a roof or trunk lid. Dump/pour a bucket of water on your car and it will sheet off.

Notice the difference in how the water reacts with the paint with the pressure washer vs the hose:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvd0cT8ubeM

A wax and a sealant are no different with respect to how they sheet/bead. Some brands behave slightly different than others, yes, but both create a hydrophobic layer which behaves like in the video above. A wax is just natural (carnauba based) and a sealant is synthetic.

Here is a video of a 100% carnauba WAX. Notice how it behaves identically to the sealant I linked above? It just depends how the water is applied.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGkp_3oxOHA

Last edited by boxxster; 07-23-2017 at 04:22 PM.
boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:42 PM   #43
I am No. 1348

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
I think there is some confusion in this thread over the correct terms for different types of paint correction and care products. A quick run down:

Correction
Compounds are used to correct heavy scratches and swirls
Polish is used to correct light scratches and swirls, and after a compound to remove an residual haze
Glazes are temporary fillers that mask paint defects like scratches, but do not last very long and do not resolve the underlying issue of a scratch or swirl.
Clay is used to remove contaminates imbedded in the paint, it is an abrasive and should only be used when necessary. If you keep the car protected with sealant and/or wax, you should not have to clay every often.

All In One's
Cleaner Waxes, or All In One types products are have some mild polish in them to remove light defects and leave behind a layer of protection. They work reasonably well, they are kind of like all-season tires okay for most, not the best at anything.

Protection
Sealant is normally a polymer, which is longer lasting than wax, but does not shine as much.
Wax is used to add shine, but does not last very long.
*A lot of people put wax over a sealant to get the advantages of both, both provide some UV protection. The longevity of sealant and wax depends on the conditions (sun, rain, etc).
Coatings are a relatively new development, and permanently adhere to the clear coat (at least for several years). Coatings primarily add protection and can change the way water reacts with the surface of the paint, for instance causing it to bead or sheet. You can put sealant and wax over a coating. There are different types of coatings, like ceramic or "glass". The top layer will dictate the hydrophobic properties of the paint, so if you put sealant or wax on a coating you will lose those properties until the sealant or wax wears away.

Temporary Protection/Other
Spray Wax can be used in between waxing to add some extra shine. It does not have the same protective ability as a coat of wax, but can help "boost" an existing coat of wax and extend its life. I use spray wax to lubricate the paint when drying it after a wash to add shine, and avoid grinding any residual dirt into the paint.
Instant Detailer is basically expensive water, and is used to lubricate the paint when spot removing something. I just use spray wax instead.

Hydrophobic Properties
Most people want beading because they know what that is, and think it is the best. Sheeting is actually better, because it will cause the water to roll off the paint instead of sitting on the paint as a bead, then evaporate leaving a water spot (unless you are using filtered water).
This is an awesome write up. I wish this software had a LIKE button!
Old 05-25-2019, 06:56 PM   #44

Garage
This is what I do:
http://986forum.com/forums/512750-post1.html