Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster & Cayman Detailing Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2017, 08:03 AM   #1

Garage
What's your favorite polish?

Mine is Zaino Z2 Pro. I've tried so many others but noting comes close to this.

michael_J_brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:55 PM   #2

Are you sure you're talking about a "polish" here, and not a last step product, like a sealant or wax?

My newest favorite polish is Meguiars M205. Like any other proper "polish", you'd use it before applying a last step product, such as a sealant or wax. The reason I like it is it goes really well with M100 compound, which is my favorite compound, by far. Keeps the paint and pad nice and cool when applying, and I like how I can stop at any time without needing to worry about "breaking down" the abrasive. The M100 is also very aggressive, enough to get good results applying by hand even, while leaving behind a very high quality surface that sometimes doesn't even need a 2nd/polish step afterward.

If you're talking about last step products, I made the switch a few years ago from carbuna-style waxes to polymer sealants recently, and main thing I noticed and appreciated was removal was a bit easier. Might last a tad bit longer also, but hard to say. I've been using Menzerna power lock recently.

Recently, I've become more of a fan of "quick wax" style products, due to ease of application. They don't last that long, but super easy to boost the protection after a car wash. I've been using Duragloss Aquawax for that, but have a gallon of some sort of a bulk Meguiars quick quick wax product to refill that bottle with once it runs out. The Aquawax smells great, a bit reminiscient of sun block. Makes drying off the car really fast too, but I prefer to apply it after car is mostly dried, for best protection.

The key benefit to the quick wax style products is you can spray them all over plastic and rubber, and in crevices, etc without worry of leaving behind any noticeable residue.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:03 PM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
That's easy.
Nicolaus Copernicus.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:05 AM   #4

+1 on Aquawax. Quick, easy, and adds some pop.
Haven't tried the other products discussed, so can't comment on them. Been tempted for years to try Zaino...but have been happy with what I've been using so haven't so far.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:14 AM   #5

Zaino only on my vehicles. Try the Leather In a Bottle as well, awesome products.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:31 AM   #6
Rennzenn

Garage
Cool topic!
For jobs that take a more aggressive polish, I've had great success with the Griots polishes numbered 1-4, with #3 being the best all-around compound. For a less aggressive polish, I've liked the P21S Gloss-enhancing Paintwork Cleanser.
For a final wax on a daily driver, Meguires NXT does a nice job of staying shinny and on the car for a long time.
For final wax/ deepest shine on something that doesn't see much rain, P21S Carnuba works great.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:21 AM   #7

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
I clay bared the car and used some of meguiers ultimate liquid wax. I am happy with it.

Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 01:16 PM   #8
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
That's easy.
Nicolaus Copernicus.
I kinda like Chopin myself.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintro11 View Post
I clay bared the car and used some of meguiers ultimate liquid wax. I am happy with it.
+1 on Meguiers Ultimate paste or liquid as a finish sealer after a clay pass. We use it for the 986, the S5, the Explo and the R1100s. Griots Quick Shine for in between touch ups and clay lube.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 05-31-2017 at 06:10 PM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:25 PM   #10

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
+1 on Meguiers Ultimate paste or liquid as a finish sealer after a clay pass. We use it for the 986, the S5, the Explo and the R1100s. Griots Quick Shine for in between touch ups and clay lube.

I'm in love with the meguiers ultimate quick detail
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:57 PM   #11

Pinnacle Souveran paste with Pinnacle Crystal Mist spray has worked better than anything else I've ever tried. Easiest wax ever, lasts forever, shines like a star.

Last edited by Dr. Acula; 06-02-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Dr. Acula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:13 PM   #12

I just polished my Boxster's hardtop, before putting it away for the top-down season.

Step 1 - wash
Step 2 - clay bar
Step 3 - tape
Step 4 - meguiars M100 compound - (this does the heavy lifting of the paintwork correction - eliminating all scratches)

Step 4 - meguiars m205 polish (this gets rid of haze visible in certain lighting conditions)
Step 5 - menzerna power-lock sealant

Result - it's more perfect than most cars are when brand new! No scratches, no haze. Crazy "baby bottom smooth" feel when touched, and water beading action.

Someday, I'll do the whole car.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:35 PM   #13

Swissvax....
That986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:31 AM   #14
I am No. 1348

Garage
It's pretty interesting how almost each post recommends a different product. What do you think is the common ingredients which make one product stand out over another?

I see some folks swear by Carnuba and others not so much. I personally like the Maguire's products and agree on the quick detailer is one of my favorites.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by algiorda View Post
It's pretty interesting how almost each post recommends a different product. What do you think is the common ingredients which make one product stand out over another?

I see some folks swear by Carnuba and others not so much. I personally like the Maguire's products and agree on the quick detailer is one of my favorites.
Because Swissvax made my old car look like this and win awards......

Last edited by That986; 06-09-2017 at 05:45 AM.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:34 AM   #16
I am No. 1348

Garage
Whoa, that is an amazing finish! Good lord that looks sweet!
Old 06-09-2017, 07:37 AM   #17

Quote:
Whoa, that is an amazing finish! Good lord that looks sweet!
And 80% OEM paint.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:39 AM   #18
I am No. 1348

Garage
Which Discovery kit did you use? Onyx, Mirage, Concorso, or Crystal Rock?

Pretty pricey stuff:
Swissvax.us: Collections & Kits
Old 06-09-2017, 07:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Which Discovery kit did you use? Onyx, Mirage, Concorso, or Crystal Rock?

Pretty pricey stuff:
Swissvax.us: Collections & Kits
Onyx as an everyday wax and in winter topped up with Shield. In that pic it was finished with Best of Show.

I still use Swissvax now on my wrapped 986 in the form of Opaque.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:46 PM   #20

Quote:

Maguiar's Ultimate followed by Groits Speed Shine in the pic below. Might try Maguiars Quick Detailer after I run out of Speed Shine. Was a big carnuba fan before the full synthetic polymer / hydrophobics came out. Really like the fact that the syn polymer final coats leave no white residue on black parts. Also tried several high end boutique brands throughout the years (decades ) but never saw any advantage over the mainstream stuff. Car finish care products are like oil, everyone has their personal favorite.

#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 06-18-2017 at 07:53 PM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote