View Single Post
Old 02-22-2024, 09:09 AM   #4
maytag
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgyqc View Post
When I remove a transmission it usually stays on the transmission jack till it goes back in, so draining the oil while it is on the ground is not an option. I drain it before removing the transmission and then fill it before reinstalling. The 6-speeds are HEAVY, so the difference in weight is not significant IMHO,
On the IMSB... with the flywheel off you can lock the cams and remove the IMSB flange and instpect the bearing to see if it is loose or binding. I have done this on two engines and they are still running Before reassembling I removed the oil seal so that the bearing gets lubricated by oil. With the seal off you can also see if there is any grease left in the bearing. On a third engine the bearing wasn't loose or binding but what grease that was left was hardened and mixed with a bit of oil. That IMSB I changed.
As I said; drain 1st, do your remove and reinstall, then fill last. no mention of draining it on the ground. But it doesn't really matter much WHICH order... you just asked the question, and specifically mentioned weight..... insignificant as it is. I'm merely asking if you're planning to drain & refill anyway, then why WOULDN'T you drain first / fill last? that's all.

And it sounds like you're well-enough versed in the IMS situation. Carry-on then.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote