View Single Post
Old 01-13-2016, 11:03 AM   #6
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
i have been using Castrol edge 10W/40 since the firs day i owned my cars (thanks to the recommendation of one forum member ). im going to try 5W/40 for the firs time in the next oil change, as i noticed LN is recommending this grade with the spin on oil filter.
definitely interested in this thread, and wondering if the JG has significant advantages over the Castrol.
Primarily in the anti wear characteristics department. Gibbs is very high in ZDDP, much higher than just about any other full synthetic commercially available, while the Edge product (like all the others) had moved to a titanium based anti wear additive package. While the Edge remains an excellent product, Gibbs use of ZDDP rather than another metal salt anti wear additives give it a decided "edge" in protecting internal engine components from long term wear.

Castrol, like all the other majors, is under intense pressure from the OEM's to reduce or eliminate ZDDP from their formulations in order to help catalytic converters live longer (the OEM's are on the hook with the EPA to have to warranty converters for up to 80,000 miles. Zinc salts can shorten that life by irreversibly poisoning the converter media, as can other additives used in things like gas.)

Last edited by JFP in PA; 01-13-2016 at 11:10 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote