View Single Post
Old 04-25-2015, 04:20 AM   #7
KRAM36
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I'm guessing that your research has lead you to the decision that it's LN or nothing? It does clearly seem to be the best retrofit. If I didn't have anything else more fun to do with $3-4k, I'd probably go ahead and have it done. I usually have other things I'd rather spend it on though, and after I spent the money, I'd still probably worry about having one of the other failure modes on my (now more expensive) engine.

Are you sure that the engine has to come out on a tip? Once the flywheel is off, I'm not seeing much difference between the jobs. Of course, with the engine out, it's an opportunity to also get the chain ramps and some other wear items.
Personally, I'd change the IMSB myself and choose one of the lower cost solutions. "Better than the original bearing" is good enough to get me down the road another 50,000-70,000 miles 'till I fell like doing it again. Also if something fails, I would not worry about keeping a matched original engine unless I had one of the 550s.
Well I was told the engine had to come out. You got me checking into more and it does look like you can take out the Tip without taking the engine out. It is a more involving job to do then a manual trans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
Honestly, I'd leave it. If my memory is correct, you have the dual-row in your S as well as a tip and high mileage. From everything I've read, you would be in the super low percentile of your IMS going out. And for $4000 - that'a heck of a down payment on a new engine. Put the $4 g's into an investment, make some money off it and if the IMS goes, get yourself a new, lower mileage engine using the $4000 you've had making some money. Why fix something that odds are will never break?
Just my 2 cents.
That's the way I've been looking at it, but my car does have the single row IMS. JFP in PA told me the $4,000 cost for the IMS Solution was a fair price.

http://986forum.com/forums/433855-post14.html