Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Video Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2018, 06:37 AM   #1

Last HPDE for the season @ AMP

Here's the full length video with comments.
This was the first session of the day and the air temp was already getting very hot, so eventually I had to back off in the second and third sessions since I was seeing oil temps of 245-250F, highest I've seen in this car.
In the first 1/3 of this session, I was trying to pass a C5 corvette with more straightaway power. I think I have to work on being a little more direct in my intentions... But I also wonder if the corner workers are actually paying attention...

For the next season, I'm installing racing seats, harnesses, a fire extinguisher and getting a HANS. PCA is requiring both sides to be the same. For data, I want to install an oil temp sensor so I can data log it. I think my engine oiling is adequate for now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u7VRbvnpj4

2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles

Last edited by AZ986S; 05-26-2018 at 06:51 AM.
AZ986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 06:00 PM   #2

Finally! Did he stay on you or did you leave him? Sometimes I think they really think their power balances your faster driving and they really think it is even..
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 12:01 AM   #3

Thanks for sharing. Scary how often the Accusump comes on and even withthat there’s a pressure drop. Seeing the pressure drop makes me not want too in fear of damaging the engine.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
Thanks for sharing. Scary how often the Accusump comes on and even withthat there’s a pressure drop. Seeing the pressure drop makes me not want too in fear of damaging the engine.
Yes the pressure still drops some at the standard valve cover location. However, it would drop more if I didn’t have the Accusump. Next season, I will turn it off for a single lap to compare. I also want to install a high flow racing oil filter to minimize pressure drop.

If you are running RComps or Slicks, you NEED oiling system mods to keep that M96 or M97 alive longer...though the only sure way is dry sump and I’ve been tinkering with some ideas there since I do have a complete engine sitting in my garage that needs some work...there has to be a lower cost way to do this.
2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles
Old 05-27-2018, 06:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ986S View Post
I also want to install a high flow racing oil filter to minimize pressure drop.
I ran a Canton high flow billet filter last interval and I didn't notice any difference so I am back on a wix filter this time. The canton is also 4" tall, they sent the wrong one and by the time I went to install it it was too late to send it back.

My goal was to try and increase hot idle oil pressure and it did not, and oil pressures while driving seemed the same.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:19 PM   #6
Who's askin'?

AZ986S, what video capture / data logging setup are you using here?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
I ran a Canton high flow billet filter last interval and I didn't notice any difference so I am back on a wix filter this time. The canton is also 4" tall, they sent the wrong one and by the time I went to install it it was too late to send it back.

My goal was to try and increase hot idle oil pressure and it did not, and oil pressures while driving seemed the same.
Steve, you read my mind!
I was looking at either Canton or LNE.
I currently use the Napa Gold 1042, probably the same as a Wix 50142.
The flow is rated at 11-12 GPM hot.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:29 AM   #8

If you want to try it out I'll send it to you if you cover shipping and the cost of the element (I've got a new one, I can install it before I send it). Since you don't have a deep sump it is going to hang way down, but still might be good for some testing and data logging. Since it is the taller one it is rated for even more hot gpm, I think 2-3 more than the shorter 3.5" tall filter.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
AZ986S, what video capture / data logging setup are you using here?

I use the Autosportlabs Race Capture (RC) Track GPS/OBD data logging device with the legacy OBDII adapter. I also have a 4 channel AnalogX 0-5VDC analog input device feeding data to the RC track device via the local CANBUS network (cable from the OBD to the RC). I had to use a 3 way RJ-45 splitter (a real splitter) to connect both the AnalogX and the OBDII to the CANBUS cable going to the RC track device. I run 3x 0-5 VDC pressure sensors that are connected to the AnalogX. 3 more AnalogXs can be connected if needed, for a total of 16 analog I/O (IIRC).

Then I run the free RC app for IOS on my iPhone 6. I also have an Amazon Fire tablet than I run the RC app for Android. Both of those can be connected to the RC track via WIFI, for saving the data to memory, to be later downloaded to my windows laptop AND/OR to display realtime engine parameters and predictive lap times. Sometimes I'll use the iPhone to connect/upload to Podium Live and the Tablet simultaneously to log the data / display realtime parameters and preditive times.

I then use RaceRender (pro) with a special template file that translates the RC app .LOG data file into a format the RaceRender video editing software understands.

Video is off an older GoPro HD mounted on the center of the roll bar. Looking to get a newer GoPro so that the RC app can trigger start/stop automatically.

I have all the details, schematics and P/Ns if anyone wants it. My goal was to set up a low cost capable data logging system that could also allow for analog I/O.

Last edited by AZ986S; 05-28-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
If you want to try it out I'll send it to you if you cover shipping and the cost of the element (I've got a new one, I can install it before I send it). Since you don't have a deep sump it is going to hang way down, but still might be good for some testing and data logging. Since it is the taller one it is rated for even more hot gpm, I think 2-3 more than the shorter 3.5" tall filter.
Hey Steve, thanks for the offer. Yes, it looks like the 4.25 in Canton billet filter runs 15 GPM (3 more) than the 3.4 in one. Since I have a remote filter setup, I do have some extra depth for that 4.25 in filter, so I would be curious to see if it helps with hot pressure. My remote oil filter is 13/16-16 thread. Hope that is what you have. PM me.

I could test it and report any benefits, but I'll have to run it pretty hot on the street for a real comparison since my track season has come to a close...
Old 05-28-2018, 04:50 PM   #11
Who's askin'?

Whoa! you're serious about it! Haha
Quote:
I use the Autosportlabs Race Capture (RC) Track GPS/OBD data logging device with the legacy OBDII adapter. I also have a 4 channel AnalogX 0-5VDC analog input device feeding data to the RC track device via the local CANBUS network (cable from the OBD to the RC). I had to use a 3 way RJ-45 splitter (a real splitter) to connect both the AnalogX and the OBDII to the CANBUS cable going to the RC track device. I run 3x 0-5 VDC pressure sensors that are connected to the AnalogX. 3 more AnalogXs can be connected if needed, for a total of 16 analog I/O (IIRC).

Then I run the free RC app for IOS on my iPhone 6. I also have an Amazon Fire tablet than I run the RC app for Android. Both of those can be connected to the RC track via WIFI, for saving the data to memory, to be later downloaded to my windows laptop AND/OR to display realtime engine parameters and predictive lap times. Sometimes I'll use the iPhone to connect/upload to Podium Live and the Tablet simultaneously to log the data / display realtime parameters and preditive times.

I then use RaceRender (pro) with a special template file that translates the RC app .LOG data file into a format the RaceRender video editing software understands.

Video is off an older GoPro HD mounted on the center of the roll bar. Looking to get a newer GoPro so that the RC app can trigger start/stop automatically.

I have all the details, schematics and P/Ns if anyone wants it. My goal was to set up a low cost capable data logging system that could also allow for analog I/O.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Hey Steve, thanks for the offer. Yes, it looks like the 4.25 in Canton billet filter runs 15 GPM (3 more) than the 3.4 in one. Since I have a remote filter setup, I do have some extra depth for that 4.25 in filter, so I would be curious to see if it helps with hot pressure. My remote oil filter is 13/16-16 thread. Hope that is what you have. PM me.

I could test it and report any benefits, but I'll have to run it pretty hot on the street for a real comparison since my track season has come to a close...
Yes 13/16-16 thread I'll dig it out this evening and change the element, PM me your address and I'll send it to you.

Another option, if you have room, and your remote oil filter adapter has a larger base, is a Wix racing synthetic element with a 13/16-16 thread, from here:

WIX Filters - Racing Catalog

For example the 51060R or 51069R - I have seen some spec boxster guys run this filter on a remote mount in the trunk along with an accusump. I actually bought a 51069R one time from Amazon, not realizing how big around it was - so I ended up giving it to a spec boxster guy at Sebring. These have a 28 GPM max flow and a 61 micron rating (which now that I think about it might be too big and is why these are for racing only...)