Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2006, 12:43 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Allen K. Littlefield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Paltz, NY 12561
Posts: 935
Smile Chrome Lug Nuts

My first attempt at posting a pic here, hope it comes through. I added the chrome lug nuts that I purchased from Vertex, on sale at $99.00 for set of twenty. I really think these add a nice finished to the stock or any other wheels on the Boxster. The heads are rounded and not dished like the unfinished look of the factory units. You will lose the security of the locking nut but since I don't usually park in 'questionable' places I am willing to take the chance. I had similar ones on my 911 and never had a problem. Now for some nice painted crests on the center caps !

986geezer
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 12:53 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 793
Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Those are pretty good looking. I don't like my OEM nuts. They are a bit chipped and showing some rust which takes away from the look of the car.
__________________
I bleed green

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.


http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 02:05 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 3,417
Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
@ Allen,
Check your PM box please.
__________________
-99' Zenith Blue 5-spd...didn't agree with a center divider on the freeway
-01' S Orient Red Metallic 6-spd...money pit...sold to buy a house
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 06:06 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: mid-Michigan
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield
My first attempt at posting a pic here, hope it comes through. I added the chrome lug nuts that I purchased from Vertex, on sale at $99.00 for set of twenty. I really think these add a nice finished to the stock or any other wheels on the Boxster. The heads are rounded and not dished like the unfinished look of the factory units. You will lose the security of the locking nut but since I don't usually park in 'questionable' places I am willing to take the chance. I had similar ones on my 911 and never had a problem. Now for some nice painted crests on the center caps !

986geezer
___________________________
Since I haven't changed my tires or wheels yet, how are you losing the security of the locking nut?
__________________
2000 Arctic Silver Boxster
SPQR
Senatus Populusque BoxsterRomanus
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 06:41 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Allen K. Littlefield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Paltz, NY 12561
Posts: 935
Lock Nut Security Lose

Jeff, you have four regular lug bolts and one needs a special additional socket (found in your tool kit) to take the fifth lug bolt out. This is so a street thief cannot unbolt your rims and have off with them. The five Chrome bolts are regular bolts and do not have a security setup so anyone with a correct socket wrench can unloosen and take wheel, bolts and all. I don't recommend these for daily winter driving as you don't need the corrosion problem and if you tend to park in iffy areas your rims are not protected. They sure do finish off the wheels nicely though, at least in my opinion. They do take the same 130 nm of torge to tighten.

986geezer

'02 Arctice Silver/Graphite Grey 2.7 Tip
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 03:56 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Allen K. Littlefield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Paltz, NY 12561
Posts: 935
Soft Socket

Sorry, I forgot to mention (by product of Geezerhood) that a soft socket will keep the chrome bolts from being scratched or otherwise marred during tire changes. They are available at Vertex and others advertisers.


986geezer
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 06:21 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: mid-Michigan
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield
Jeff, you have four regular lug bolts and one needs a special additional socket (found in your tool kit) to take the fifth lug bolt out. This is so a street thief cannot unbolt your rims and have off with them. The five Chrome bolts are regular bolts and do not have a security setup so anyone with a correct socket wrench can unloosen and take wheel, bolts and all. I don't recommend these for daily winter driving as you don't need the corrosion problem and if you tend to park in iffy areas your rims are not protected. They sure do finish off the wheels nicely though, at least in my opinion. They do take the same 130 nm of torge to tighten.

986geezer

'02 Arctice Silver/Graphite Grey 2.7 Tip
___________________________

Arey you aware of places who will chrome your original bolts?
__________________
2000 Arctic Silver Boxster
SPQR
Senatus Populusque BoxsterRomanus
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 08:31 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northeast USA
Posts: 910
Allen, thx for posting this idea and the lugs look great. The only thing that would stop me from getting them is the tech inspection at DE events. They check the lugs there and those wrenches aren't of the soft kind.
__________________
'06 Boxster S, 6sp, triple-black
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...05_IMGcrop.jpg
z12358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 08:52 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: 1 hour from Deal's gap!
Posts: 103
As a Urologist, I will say, professionally, those are some fine nuts you got.
UroTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 08:58 AM   #10
boggtown
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I went to my tire shop and they ordered some chrome lug bolts from the manufacturer and it only cost me $70. I would have tried that first if I were you.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 02:15 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Allen K. Littlefield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Paltz, NY 12561
Posts: 935
Mfg. bolts vs Vertex

I didn't know that you could order them from the dealer. Will they still have that dished center or will they have a smooth ronded cap, which makes all the difference? Be sure to post pics of them when you install them.

986geezer
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 04:16 PM   #12
boggtown
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I just went to expert tire and they called their guy and said he needed bolts for a porsche boxster, 10 shorter ones and 10 longer ones. They are smooth on top, and have a different taper (straight) because of my new rims.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 04:38 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: mid-Michigan
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by UroTrash
As a Urologist, I will say, professionally, those are some fine nuts you got.
_____________________________
That's just wrong!!
__________________
2000 Arctic Silver Boxster
SPQR
Senatus Populusque BoxsterRomanus
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page