Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2006, 12:43 PM   #1

Smile Chrome Lug Nuts

My first attempt at posting a pic here, hope it comes through. I added the chrome lug nuts that I purchased from Vertex, on sale at $99.00 for set of twenty. I really think these add a nice finished to the stock or any other wheels on the Boxster. The heads are rounded and not dished like the unfinished look of the factory units. You will lose the security of the locking nut but since I don't usually park in 'questionable' places I am willing to take the chance. I had similar ones on my 911 and never had a problem. Now for some nice painted crests on the center caps !

986geezer

Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 12:53 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Those are pretty good looking. I don't like my OEM nuts. They are a bit chipped and showing some rust which takes away from the look of the car.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 02:05 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
@ Allen,
Check your PM box please.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield
My first attempt at posting a pic here, hope it comes through. I added the chrome lug nuts that I purchased from Vertex, on sale at $99.00 for set of twenty. I really think these add a nice finished to the stock or any other wheels on the Boxster. The heads are rounded and not dished like the unfinished look of the factory units. You will lose the security of the locking nut but since I don't usually park in 'questionable' places I am willing to take the chance. I had similar ones on my 911 and never had a problem. Now for some nice painted crests on the center caps !

986geezer
SPQR
Senatus Populusque BoxsterRomanus
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 06:41 PM   #5

Lock Nut Security Lose

Jeff, you have four regular lug bolts and one needs a special additional socket (found in your tool kit) to take the fifth lug bolt out. This is so a street thief cannot unbolt your rims and have off with them. The five Chrome bolts are regular bolts and do not have a security setup so anyone with a correct socket wrench can unloosen and take wheel, bolts and all. I don't recommend these for daily winter driving as you don't need the corrosion problem and if you tend to park in iffy areas your rims are not protected. They sure do finish off the wheels nicely though, at least in my opinion. They do take the same 130 nm of torge to tighten.

986geezer

'02 Arctice Silver/Graphite Grey 2.7 Tip
Old 12-17-2006, 03:56 AM   #6

Soft Socket

Sorry, I forgot to mention (by product of Geezerhood) that a soft socket will keep the chrome bolts from being scratched or otherwise marred during tire changes. They are available at Vertex and others advertisers.

986geezer
Old 12-17-2006, 06:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield
Jeff, you have four regular lug bolts and one needs a special additional socket (found in your tool kit) to take the fifth lug bolt out. This is so a street thief cannot unbolt your rims and have off with them. The five Chrome bolts are regular bolts and do not have a security setup so anyone with a correct socket wrench can unloosen and take wheel, bolts and all. I don't recommend these for daily winter driving as you don't need the corrosion problem and if you tend to park in iffy areas your rims are not protected. They sure do finish off the wheels nicely though, at least in my opinion. They do take the same 130 nm of torge to tighten.

986geezer

'02 Arctice Silver/Graphite Grey 2.7 Tip

Arey you aware of places who will chrome your original bolts?
Old 12-17-2006, 08:31 AM   #8

Allen, thx for posting this idea and the lugs look great. The only thing that would stop me from getting them is the tech inspection at DE events. They check the lugs there and those wrenches aren't of the soft kind.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:52 AM   #9

As a Urologist, I will say, professionally, those are some fine nuts you got.
UroTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 08:58 AM   #10
boggtown

I went to my tire shop and they ordered some chrome lug bolts from the manufacturer and it only cost me $70. I would have tried that first if I were you.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:15 PM   #11

Mfg. bolts vs Vertex

I didn't know that you could order them from the dealer. Will they still have that dished center or will they have a smooth ronded cap, which makes all the difference? Be sure to post pics of them when you install them.

986geezer
Old 12-17-2006, 04:16 PM   #12
boggtown

I just went to expert tire and they called their guy and said he needed bolts for a porsche boxster, 10 shorter ones and 10 longer ones. They are smooth on top, and have a different taper (straight) because of my new rims.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by UroTrash
As a Urologist, I will say, professionally, those are some fine nuts you got.