Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2024, 06:35 AM   #1

BoxsterV8

This car has an 08 LS3/L92 6.2 all aluminum 450+ HP engine. Can you tell?

2003 Boxster S with 2008 400+HP L92 with VVT delete, Comp Cam Thumpr, LS3 intake, 42# injectors, Corvette gas pedal and throttlebody, LS7 lifters, double valve springs, heavy push rods, rocker trunnion upgrade. 2009 corvette MAP. 2009 corvette computer.

Last edited by obthomas; 01-11-2024 at 06:40 AM.
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 07:57 AM   #2

Yes, by its sagging butt from the weight of the LS3...............

Last edited by JFP in PA; 01-11-2024 at 12:12 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 12:35 PM   #3

Not sure if it’s on a hill or something but the front needs to be lowered a bit
Old 01-13-2024, 06:32 AM   #4

Actually, the car is 50 pounds lighter, faster and more reliable with the LS. All together now "NO MORE IMS"
2003 Boxster S with 2008 400+HP L92 with VVT delete, Comp Cam Thumpr, LS3 intake, 42# injectors, Corvette gas pedal and throttlebody, LS7 lifters, double valve springs, heavy push rods, rocker trunnion upgrade. 2009 corvette MAP. 2009 corvette computer.

Last edited by obthomas; 01-13-2024 at 06:34 AM.
Old 01-13-2024, 07:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by obthomas View Post
Actually, the car is 50 pounds lighter, faster and more reliable with the LS. All together now "NO MORE IMS"
And no more value…….. We have had a couple of customers go this route, and in the end, the made the same comment: “Never again!” They all lost money when the tried to sell or trade the vehicles, one even having multiple dealers tell them that they would not even consider taking the car as a trade, and ended up spending months and a lot of $ before they actually sold the car, and then at a signifanct loss to someone that eventually ended up filing a lawsuit against them. “Frankencars” are not for everyone, and in couple of cases, anyone.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 01-13-2024 at 08:02 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 10:44 AM   #6

Interesting. I had not considered that perspective. I purchased my car for $9500 as a bank repo. I sold the engine and exhaust parts for about what I paid for the LS and to make a long story short I do not have that much in the car. That Corvette and that Charger I snunk up on the other day almost makes me even.
Old 01-13-2024, 12:48 PM   #7

Sometimes it takes more than raw power.

We have a customer that happens to own an automotive fabrication shop that installed a Mezger turbo engine out of a wrecked 996 turbo race car into a 986 chassis.. On a dyno cell, the engine made north of 700 HP at the flywheel and turned the 986 into a parts and tire destroyer that could vaporize the driveline from a roll in any gear. By his own admission, the project cost him more than a band new turbo car sitting on the showroom floor, and he did most if not all of the fabrication himself, and I would describe the work as top shelf, beautifully executed and neat.

After destroying several gearbox and axle sets, he put the car up for sale. Six months later, with no one showing any real interest, he pulled the Mezger out, reinstalled the orgianal engine and sold the car and the Mezger engine at a loss. Today, he still calls he episode “an idiotic idea”.

Just because you can do something doesn’t mean it is a good idea, and it takes a lot more than raw power to make a great car.
Old 01-13-2024, 02:41 PM   #8

The engineering consensus is that the Boxster S manual transmission drive train is good for about 500HP. Your customer might have had a better experience if he had observed that limitation. You can have a lot of fun with something different.
Old 01-23-2024, 06:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by obthomas View Post
The engineering consensus is that the Boxster S manual transmission drive train is good for about 500HP. Your customer might have had a better experience if he had observed that limitation. You can have a lot of fun with something different.
I dunno.... I got no problems out of the 5 speed gear box. 20k and counting. Yall talk up that 6 speed box like its some holy grail.

I'm not near the tourque numbers to destroy it I suppose. But my engine will tear up those tires if need be.

Why would you sell a Chevy swapped Porche? I'm in mine for life. Drop that car 6ft in the hole when I die. LOL

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 07:25 AM   #10

Yea right! My worry is that my wife will give mine away when I'm gone.