Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2015, 03:05 PM   #21

Awesome, man! And I agree, those door cards are sweet. Gonna store that pic away for the day when this car retires from DD work and becomes just for crazy fun.

CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:39 PM   #22

There’s still no word on the status of the mounting kit, so I guess for now I just have to suck it up and wait. Today I started cutting the engine compartment to make clearance for the engine. It was a lot harder than I thought, the sheet metal is reinforced and having the car on jack stands does not provide enough room. I found it was easier to first drill out all the tack welds on the reinforcements to detach them from the actual sheet metal. This makes cutting and bending away the metal much easier. There was quite a bit of water in the enclosed compartment, which got me a little worried, but thankfully there was no rust.

Today I only had enough time to do a rough cut on the left side, but hopefully tomorrow I can finish it up if I can find my rotary tools. I also plan on making a reinforcement brace to replace all the missing sheet metal and also make relocation bracket for the e-brake.

The puddle on the floor is all the water that came out

martsink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:48 AM   #23

Looking good man! Yeah this part is a PITA but once you get into it, it becomes clearer. What are you using to cut with? I used an electric cutter/grinder with a 4.5" wheel on it, although I had the car on a lift so I could easily stand under it etc. so I know being on jack stands does not make it easier!

Do yourself a favor and go get a fiberglass welding blanket too if you don't already have one, lots of sparks fly towards the interior. Also will be valuable when welding~ The carpet and insulation on the interior is where most of your fires will start because they glue the foam directly to the body. I tried to remove a bunch and was wasting more time doing that then I did welding - just weld small section, put out fire, weld small section, put out fire

Good luck!
J
BoxsterLS376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:11 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterLS376 View Post
Looking good man! Yeah this part is a PITA but once you get into it, it becomes clearer. What are you using to cut with? I used an electric cutter/grinder with a 4.5" wheel on it, although I had the car on a lift so I could easily stand under it etc. so I know being on jack stands does not make it easier!

Do yourself a favor and go get a fiberglass welding blanket too if you don't already have one, lots of sparks fly towards the interior. Also will be valuable when welding~ The carpet and insulation on the interior is where most of your fires will start because they glue the foam directly to the body. I tried to remove a bunch and was wasting more time doing that then I did welding - just weld small section, put out fire, weld small section, put out fire

Good luck!
J
Hey John,

Thanks! I started with a small rotary tool, but then realised that it was getting me nowhere so I switched to a 4.5" angle grinder. My dad hooked me up with a nice wheel, so it was slicing like butter. Its a little difficult to manoeuvre with the car on the ground, so I will definitely have to finish up with a rotary tool.

My car is as stripped as it gets so I don't really have to worry about the dust or fires
Old 04-09-2015, 02:12 PM   #25

Finally done cutting! This was a huge pain in the butt. I wouldn't suggest attempting this without a good rotary tool and angle grinder. Tomorrow I have to pick up some steel to make a brace.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:57 AM   #26

Looking good Vlad!!
BoxsterLS376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:47 AM   #27

Hey guys,

I just spoke to Renegade yesterday, the kit should be on its way next week! I also started fabricating the reinforcement plate to replace all that metal that I cut out, but I have no pictures to show you. I probably won't be welding it in until I get weld-thru primer and good aerosol 2K primer. I might also get some seam sealer to seal the welds and keep the moisture out. There was a whole bunch of water inside the body when I was cutting it up, so just want to make sure the reinforcement plate doesn't rust.

Since it's been a little slow lately, I decided to run up the total for my build up to this point. You can find the updated BOM here. This does not include everything, I still need: seats, brake lines, starter, alternator, belt, power steering fittings, headlights, water pump, water hoses, and whatever else I'm forgetting.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:48 AM   #28
Beginner

Garage
Awesome thread.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:07 PM   #29

What was the issue with the renegade flywheel?
18x9 Front 18x11 Rear Wheels
Twin-Turbo LSx Boxster :troll:
Lcrivers816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:26 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcrivers816 View Post
What was the issue with the renegade flywheel?
I never really got a straight answer. From what I understand there was nothing really "wrong" with it, they just updated the design to make it more maintenance friendly.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:07 AM   #31

interesting... if you dont mind, shoot me a picture of it when you receive it so that I can compare it to mine.
18x9 Front 18x11 Rear Wheels
Twin-Turbo LSx Boxster :troll:
Lcrivers816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:11 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcrivers816 View Post
interesting... if you dont mind, shoot me a picture of it when you receive it so that I can compare it to mine.
No problem. I should have it on Wednesday
Old 05-21-2015, 02:29 PM   #33

The kit finally arrived and this morning I was able pick up all my parts from the Niagara Falls mailbox. In total 21 packages! Had to pay $150 to the mailbox facility in storage fees while I way waiting on the delayed Renegade Hybrids kit and an additional $460 in border taxes.

There are still a few little things that I will have to buy as I go, but the majority of parts are here. Tomorrow I will begin on the motor assembly and possibly fit the renegade kit to see where everything goes.

My first impressions of the Renegade kit are mixed. The packaging was horrible! The boxes looked like they've been reused about a dozen times, and two of them had holes the size of a grown mans fist. I just hope that nothing fell out in transit. The overall quality looks pretty good, the welds look nice and the paint finish is excellent. All the hardware came in one huge bag with no labels or instructions. I feel like I will have to spend some time figuring out which bolts go where.

The Kennedy Engineering bits look amazing. You can tell that a lot of care went into the design and machining of their parts. Their kit also comes with an installation manual, but I haven't had a chance to look through it.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:48 PM   #34

Hey guys,

Sorry for the lack of updates recently. Last week I put together the engine and tranny. I am using a low profile LS2/LS3 oil pan for ground clearance. At 4.75", this is the thinnest OEM wet sump pan available. I had to get a new o-ring (blue) for the pickup tube, which cost a whoppig $14 from the dealership. I believe all LS pans are interchangeable, so there was no trouble there.

I am also using an LS1 intake manifold. The intake is rotated 180 degrees for clearance. I've heard of issues with the oil pressure sensor getting in the way with LS3 engines, but mine seems to be ok. Nonetheless, I plan on mounting both GM and Porsche oil pressure sensors on a 4 AN line remotely (I will make a post on this with a complete parts list when I'm done).

The Kennedy engineering adapter and flywheel look amazing. The adapter plate was slightly damaged during shipping, but it was nothing serious. The kit comes complete with hardware and instructions. I didn't purchase the optional KEP clutch, so I had to buy the pressure plate bolts myself. These are longer than the OEM Porsche bolts, so please give KEP a call to find what size you need.

I was told that the Boxster S clutch will work for a 5.3L swap, but Kennedy Engineering suggested that I upgrade to a sprung hub disk. The new flywheel is no longer a dual mass design, hence a rigid disk might be a bit too harsh. The KEP clutch is amazing, but its close to $1000, so I had to downgrade to a SPEC Stage 2 clutch for $650. As I was putting everything together, I realized that I was actually sent a rigid disk. The online store where I had made the purchase admitted their mistake and offered me a full refund. I decided to give SPEC a call directly to see if I could just make swap with them instead of shipping everything back to the store. They told me that the Boxster clutch normally only comes rigid, but they could make a sprung disk for me free of charge if I just paid for shipping. I guess for now I'll just bolt up the tranny without the clutch to see how everything fits together.

I used a pallet jack to line up the transmission to the engine. This is pretty easy if you have the right equipment, but I would still suggest an extra set of helping hands.

The Renegade Hybrids kit wasn't so straight forward. All the hardware that comes with the kit is mixed in one ziplock bag. It's not that big of a deal, but it still takes a while to figure out which bolt goes where. I was short a few washers, a harmonic balancer spacer, and a belt pulley. Either these parts were never put in, or they fell out the massive hole in the box during shipping (Steve promised me that the replacements would be on the way shortly). The Wevo transmission mounts which you must purchase separately come with a the bolt and washer for the stock setup. I replaced mine with a 75mm bolt and ground down the square protrusion on the washer.

I had no issues with the rest of the Renegade kit except for clearance around the oil pan. I opened up the bolt holes a bit to allow for some extra clearance.

Last edited by martsink; 06-01-2015 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:53 PM   #35

Today I finally managed to bolt in the engine for the first time. This was a very frustrating experience, especially trying to do this on my own using a set of stands and a pallet jack. At first I thought I could just roll the whole assembly in together and just bolt it all in inside. I played around with it for a few hours and failed miserably. There's just too many things to get in the way and too many holes to line up in one shot.

I partially disassembled the engine mounts and tried fitting everything piece by piece. This was still a huge pain in the butt, but at least I managed to put it all together. The clearance seems to be pretty good, and I don't expect to be doing much more cutting. I am a little more concerned about the air intake situation since there's only 6.75" of space between the manifold opening and the firewall.

The way it is now, the engine is slightly tilted towards the front. I may have to add some spacers to the engine or transmission mounts to level it out.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:57 AM   #36
Registered Abuser

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by martsink View Post
[SPEC] told me that the Boxster clutch normally only comes rigid, but they could make a sprung disk for me free of charge if I just paid for shipping. I guess for now I'll just bolt up the tranny without the clutch to see how everything fits together.
Good to know. I opted for the unsprung "STAGE - 3 !!!!!" clutch. I wasn't aware that they would able to spring it for me. I might have to give this some thought if the solid disc is truly unbearable. I've driven many crappy cars in my day, the bar is pretty high.

Quote:
The Renegade Hybrids kit wasn't so straight forward. All the hardware that comes with the kit is mixed in one ziplock bag. It's not that big of a deal, but it still takes a while to figure out which bolt goes where.
This * 10!

Don't get me wrong, I love what Renegade has done and I never would have thought this was even possible without their pioneering, but they could have taken the 4 weeks they were waiting for the new Kennedy parts to draft up a simple step-by-step manual. Something like this would surely prevent many otherwise preventable phone calls to the shop in Las Vegas.

Quote:
I was short a few washers, a harmonic balancer spacer, and a belt pulley.
Wait, I was supposed to get a balancer spacer? If so, chalk mine up as missing as well.

Also, did you get a belt tensioner with your kit? I have no idea how the belts are supposed to be routed or what tensioner to use.

Also, the bolts supplied for the front lateral cross member were waaay too short. IIRC, the kit came with two M12x65 bolts. There were maybe two threads protruding above the mount with these bolts. I had to use a pair of M12x80s instead. A parts list / bill of material would have been REALLY helpful through all this.

Quote:
Today I finally managed to bolt in the engine for the first time. This was a very frustrating experience, especially trying to do this on my own using a set of stands and a pallet jack.
Whenever my wife questions my justification for this early 40th b'day gift I bought for myself last month, I'll show her your comments here. An additional post about how "dangerous" and "unsafe" you felt would also help tremendously in my cause.

I love hearing updates. Keep 'em coming! Personally, I'm keeping my project on the down-low until I'm closer to completion. However, I think we are both pretty close in regards of progress at this moment. I'm sure I'll be coming to you with more questions in the near future.

-Andy
Bayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:40 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayley View Post

Wait, I was supposed to get a balancer spacer? If so, chalk mine up as missing as well.
Yeah I think that was supposed to be there

Quote:

Also, did you get a belt tensioner with your kit? I have no idea how the belts are supposed to be routed or what tensioner to use.
I was referring to the tensioner as a pulley. I'm not sure if I can use it since I'm only running an alternator, but I haven't really looked into the belt stuff yet

Quote:
Also, the bolts supplied for the front lateral cross member were waaay too short. IIRC, the kit came with two M12x65 bolts. There were maybe two threads protruding above the mount with these bolts. I had to use a pair of M12x80s instead. A parts list / bill of material would have been REALLY helpful through all this.
Yes, I also found my bolts were way too short. I'll have to get some longer ones. So M12x80 works well? The bolts that came with Wevo mounts are M12x95. Do you think they will be too long?

Quote:
Whenever my wife questions my justification for this early 40th b'day gift I bought for myself last month, I'll show her your comments here. An additional post about how "dangerous" and "unsafe" you felt would also help tremendously in my cause.
Haha safety always comes first! Tell your wife "Don't be a fool, use the right tool!"

Last edited by martsink; 06-02-2015 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:52 PM   #38

Quote:
Hey Andy, btw is your engine sitting flat? Mine is tilted towards the front and I'm not sure why. Could you please measure your engine mounts height when you get a chance? I didn't use the mounts recommended by Renegade, but they are all supposed to be OEM corvette height. Mine are from Jahns Fabworks
Old 06-02-2015, 06:45 PM   #39

Today I tested an early 986 Boxster throttle cable to see how it would work with the engine. From what I’ve read on other blogs, the cable is too short and the pedal travel only gives you about 60% throttle. The only alternative is to run a drive by wire setup, which requires some fabrication to mount the GM pedal and a lot of money to buy the whole setup. I would have to get a C5 corvette ECU, harness, TAC module, and pedal. This setup is about $800 used if you can actually find it. I was able to find a cable and pedal setup from an early 986 Boxster for $50, so I decided to give it a try first (these are rare, but believe some pre 99 models came with cable throttle).

There are no mounts on the new chassis for the cable, but it’s easy enough to bolt on. The cable is perfect length and you get about 90% throttle without any modifications. If you grind down the pedal stop you can go up to about 95%, which I am happy with. I will have to figure out a custom throttle cable bracket, but that’s pretty much it. The other issue is the space for intake hoses, but that's a whole other project.

Old 06-03-2015, 04:45 AM   #40
Registered Abuser

Garage
Quote:
Yes, I also found my bolts were way too short. I'll have to get some longer ones. So M12x80 works well?
Don't quote me on that, but M12x80 or 85 sounds like what I wound up using.

Quote:
The bolts that came with Wevo mounts are M12x95. Do you think they will be too long?
I'm using the stock transmission mounts. I butchered up the original trans mount brackets to use as a spacer between the cross member and the bolt. The round hole on the cross member was ground out to a square'ish hole to hold the OE mount in place while torquing. I know the color quality is off, but it's otherwise difficult to get a picture of the high gloss pieces in a dirty engine bay.

Also, note my two LEFT frame rails that I was given my kit.

Quote:
Hey Andy, btw is your engine sitting flat? Mine is tilted towards the front and I'm not sure why. Could you please measure your engine mounts height when you get a chance? I didn't use the mounts recommended by Renegade, but they are all supposed to be OEM corvette height. Mine are from Jahns Fabworks
I unfortunately have not mocked my engine up yet. I'm making my own custom pedestal mounts with a different poly isolator. The placement of the C5 mount is awful and creates all sorts of fitment / clearance issues. I am instead making a mount that will go directly to the front Renegade cross member, eliminating the left / right rails that otherwise interfere with the exhaust and starter. I'll probably start fabbing those up this weekend.

Bayley is offline   Reply With Quote