Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2015, 05:15 AM   #161

Intake almost done

Greetings everyone,

Got a bit more done and will hopefully get back over to the shop today~ Intake is almost fabricated, I think I am going to forget about the factory box due to potential restrictions and just go with a cone filter and create a cold air box.

One thing which I didn't really think about was the fact that the GM MAF sensor bung is aluminum, not steel so you will need to have some aluminum tiggin' skillz and straight aluminum pipe plumb it into. Unfortunately I already got the 4" steel pipe so I decided to make it work, plus my aluminum tigging skills are shall we say not that great so... JB WELD TO THE RESCUE!!!!

I sometimes forget how awesome JB Weld is - scuff it up a bit, lay it on, then a nice final finishing finger weld and BAM!! Like it cam out of the factory that way!

So otherwise I also got started on the cooling system a bit... In case you don't remember the original motor cracked a cylinder head or something and the oil/coolant started to mix badly in the end. At minimum the entire cooling system needs to come apart for cleaning which is what I am starting on.

I decided in stead of spending money to have the 3 radiators, coolant reservoir and the heater core properly cleaned I would rather put it towards new parts as the stuff on the car is already 15 years old so I think it is the right way to go.

I have talked to quite a few people who have had trouble cooling these motors in other applications and really don't want to run into that issue so I am upgrading the radiators to CSF full aluminum, and getting a new heater core and coolant reservoir.

After pulling out the heater core yesterday I think I made the right call - the stuff coming out of it is nasty sticky goo, I'm sure the radiators are about the same.

Here are a few pics of the intake setup thus far~
Thanks for following~
J

BoxsterLS376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:51 PM   #162

JJ, Your build reminds me of a day when I had much more ambition and energy, except you've MUCH MORE TALENT lol............Great thread..................
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:27 PM   #163

The intake is looking really good. I wish I had some welding skills.
martsink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:30 PM   #164

Hey,
Do you think it's ok to use an LS1 oil pan? Those low profile LS2 pans are impossible to find used, and they cost a fortune brand new. This is the one I'm talking about: F-Body Camaro/Firebird LS1 Oil Pan Dimensions
Old 03-10-2015, 10:23 AM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
JJ, Your build reminds me of a day when I had much more ambition and energy, except you've MUCH MORE TALENT lol............Great thread..................
Thank you sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by martsink View Post
The intake is looking really good. I wish I had some welding skills.
Thanks a bunch! I am using a 30 year old welder so the welds are not as nice as I would like but I'm going to use a different one for the exhaust~ You just need to get a welder and practice a bit, that is really all it takes. I learned on my 1988 944 Turbo S which had a slight bend in one of the front supports due to the previous owners son having a slight offroad excursion over a curb. Bent it back pretty straight and went to town Definitely not pretty but it worked and I've been hooked ever since!

Quote:
Hey,
Do you think it's ok to use an LS1 oil pan? Those low profile LS2 pans are impossible to find used, and they cost a fortune brand new. This is the one I'm talking about: F-Body Camaro/Firebird LS1 Oil Pan Dimensions
hrm... I would have to check out an LS1 pan to see. I'll try to run down the street to my friends shop, they use the LS1 pans to install the motors into RX-7's and actually take off the low profile LS2 pans (that is where I scored mine from! ). I'll check and see if he has any more although you may want to check Ebay, there was a whole oil pan kit on there for like $197 if I recall correctly, just took it off my watch list last week or else I'd provide a link~

I'll let you know what I dig up~
J
Old 03-10-2015, 08:49 PM   #166

I think I just found an LS2/LS3 low profile pan for $200. Been looking for one for almost a month now, and the day I complain about it it shows up... It would still be nice if you are able to confirm for those planning to do it in the future. I tried to find out from Renegade and they told me any oil pan is fine as long as its not from a truck. I'm glad I stubled across your post about ground clearance issues before I made a dumb purchase.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:06 AM   #167

This is such a bad A** thread!!!! I love my Boxster, but when I bought it and found out it had a spun rod bearing I was so tempted to go down the path of an LSx swap (I had a lot of previous experience with my 98 WS6 that I built). The potential is now almost limitless! In a year or two when you get used to the power and it no longer feels "fast" a cam swap and FAST intake manifold can net you another 100hp! Fuel system and cylinder heads can net you an additional 150! Why can the 3.2 be so easily modified :-(!!

Good luck, and again amazing job!!!
2010 CBR1000RR- Sold
Wilson01S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 04:53 AM   #168

Cooling and exhaust~ Suggestions??

Good morning everyone,

Just figured I would chime in with a quick update. Nothing really exciting as I'm waiting on a few parts to show up and need to get some more stuff ordered but exciting things are in the works

I really dug into the cooling system this week and I did want to mention that I have decided that the entire cooling system needed a refresh. After cracking it open that was a great decision as this motor had cracked a cylinder head and mixed oil into the cooling system pretty badly.

The heater core, and all 3 radiators were filled with goo of the nastiest kind so ALL rubber hoses are being replaced with fresh ones, heater core has been replaced and for the radiators I am going with the CSF all aluminum units. They aren't cheap but it is definitely the way to go if you have had oil in your cooling system. You could waste money trying to clean them, but in the end you still have a 15 year old radiator and after looking at them, they were just about done anyway so it is the right call.

Once I get all the stock stuff replaced i'll dive into fabricating the rest of the system. Since it looks like I may be in this V8 swap thing for the long haul I am getting a pipe bender so that I can make as much out of aluminum pipe as possible. It the end it is much cheaper then ordering a bunch of bent pieces, plus I can hopefully make them exactly how I want. Ordering some 1.25" and 1.5" aluminum straight pipe to make it with.

***EXHAUST***

*EDITED* Measure twice, buy once. Don't trust everything you read on the internets~

My plan at this point is to work from the headers back - 2.5" stainless steel flanges with a 2.5" to 3"expansion pipe, a few bends, then a set of magnaflow catalytic converters, magnaflow mufflers then making a custom tip from with the 3" stainless.

I'm going to try and have everything ordered by this evening so I can have it by next weekend so chime on in!

Thanks!
J

Last edited by BoxsterLS376; 03-15-2015 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:59 AM   #169

So it looks like my plans for a 3" exhaust may be foiled by the muffler... looks like the biggest size I can get is 2.5" in/out on the same side. Anyone know of a muffler out there which has 3" in/out on the same side? Otherwise it may be a 2.5" system using this muffler - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-14210
Old 03-16-2015, 07:31 AM   #170

http://www.spintechmufflers.com/mufflers/race-mufflers/400-psc-180-series/cat_18.html

344SCT Sportsman Splitcase 3 - Sportsman SplitCase 300SC Series - SPLIT CASE 300SCS & 300SCT - 344SCT Sportsman Splitcase 3" inlet 3" Outlet @90 Degrees - SpinTech Performance Mufflers

Might use this on my setup...

maybe this might help.

Last edited by Lcrivers816; 03-16-2015 at 08:35 AM.
Lcrivers816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:10 AM   #171

Thanks for finding these! May be good for a future project I've been researching and gotten a PM or two (Thanks Bill!) regarding the exhaust and some other bits. It looks like 2.5" should be fine and is what Renegade is using on many of their cars. I went ahead and ordered most everything and it is trickling in this week.

Got a few of my new radiators/hoses yesterday and the mufflers showed up as well. Don't know if the rest of the fabrication stuff will be here before the weekend or not but putting the cooling system back together should keep me busy enough, then next week can start making the exhaust and the rest of the cooling system.

Also sounds like the cooling system could be lacking due to the water pump inefficiency so that needs some more research~

I'll get some pictures posted of the radiators and stuff soon, probably another video too because it is easier

Thanks!
J
Old 03-20-2015, 09:07 PM   #172

Cooling system update~

Greetings all~

Dug into the cooling system last week and wanted to share what I've found... So far it's pretty ugly

I did make the decision to go ahead and order the CSF aluminum radiators and am glad I did. As soon as I pulled off the bumper and started to loosen the radiators I knew it was the right move. Radiators were fairly clogged up with road debris in between the radiator and A/C. When I started to take off the hoses they were pretty shot too so they are getting replaced as well.

Since this car's motor failed with oil getting into the cooling system is gucked it up something baaaaad. Already got the car on a lift at the shop so I should be able to pull the rest of the coolant pipes to clean them so I can have it wrapped up this weekend. You can see the poo in the video.

http://youtu.be/q5fBq6p1Mkk

So this week more stuffs continued to trickle in and got my radiator and many hoses, although I think I need more. Amazing how many hoses are on these damn cars!! Also got my air filter so I can finish up the intake as well. Also got the mufflers and my pipe bender so once my next order from Verocious arrives we can start fabricating the rest of the cooling system and make the exhaust!

Thanks for following~
J
Old 03-21-2015, 07:07 AM   #173

Garage
Thanks for the video update, looking great
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:14 AM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Thanks for the video update, looking great
Thanks Bruce, I appreciate it!

Well no video from this weekend as I was to tired and not that much to report to make it an exciting enough video! I was able to get all of the coolant pipes and hoses pulled out and cleaned this weekend, got all the new aluminum radiators installed so that part of the project is about 95% wrapped up, just waiting on a few more coolant hoses then I can strap the bumper and fender liners back on and that will be that~

It looks like the rest of my exhaust and cooling system bits will be here tomorrow so as long as I can motivate myself to spend another weekend in the shop then this bad boy is going to be pretty darn close!! I also ordered an IMI starter from Kennedy Engineering - I think it was like $239+ shipping... hopefully that shows up soon too.

Still a few weeks out I'm sure as I do need to make the whole exhaust system and fabricate the cooling system but hopefully that won't be too bad.

Stay tuned!
Thanks
J
Old 03-24-2015, 06:35 AM   #175

Renegade should be paying you
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:55 PM   #176

I love that the Boxster has two trunks. Lots of space to store all the parts

How long do you think until you have it running?
Old 03-25-2015, 06:21 AM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
Renegade should be paying you
Well they have my address but haven't seen a check yet Thanks!

Quote:
I love that the Boxster has two trunks. Lots of space to store all the parts

How long do you think until you have it running?
Haha yeah lord knows I have used up every bit of that, plus everywhere else to throw stuff although this weekend I thinned out the pile quite a bit getting those radiators in...

There are still a few major hurdles which need to be tended to and I want to take my time to make sure it is pretty much tip-top before I try to run it. That being said I really need to sit down and make a list of things to do, guess I can start here...

1. Wiring - There are not that many wires required to get the GM motor running... only about 4 I believe, but to make it talk and jive with the car will require a bit more. Also need to tap and re-thread the cylinder head to accept the Porsche coolant sensor, then figure out where to wire that into the system. May need to pull the motor back out to tap it properly :/

2. Cooling system - I should have about 85% of what I need today but still need to order an inline thermostat and some T's for the cooling system. Need to fabricate all of the piping to connect the new motor into the existing cooling system. Also a bit more research on the coolant reservoir itself... pretty sure i'll use a factory reservoir, just need to figure out how to plumb it correctly.

3. Fuel System - I have used the factory fuel line which runs for the filter to the back of the engine compartment and need to adapt it to the GM fuel feed which may be as simple as a rubber hose and some clamps, but I really doubt that I have some questions which some of you may have answers for... My biggest concerns right now are I believe the GM motor does not appear to have a return fuel line back to the tank so I don't yet know how that will affect the Porsche system. Plus all the fuel vapor lines and stuff, maybe you just plug them up? We will need to do more research on this...

4. Exhaust System - I should have everything I need to do this today and I am pretty confident on this one. Good plan in place and will just take a bit of time to fit everything in correctly as I need to go ahead and get the axles, lower bracing and underbody tray stuff in place to make sure it all fits...

5. Intake system - Almost wrapped up, just need to properly mount the new air filter and fabricate a cold air box or at the very least a good way to shield the filter from the exhaust system.

6. Hand controls/Interior - This is something I was thinking about this weekend as the emergency brake holder had to be relocated lower into the tranny/coolant tunnel so i'll have to figure out how to mount that back in properly. Also the shifter and cables should not be a big deal but may need to get some flame proof shielding as they will need to run down by the exhaust on the passenger side...

7. Reassemble the car!!! I'm sure there are things I'm missing but once all is said and done and running with the V8, the car is still in about 1000 pieces!! It just all takes time

So in looking over my newly made list I'm sure I'm still a month off or so... unless I take a week off work, to come into work, to try and finish it...

Damn I need a vacation!!
Thanks everyone
J

Last edited by BoxsterLS376; 03-25-2015 at 06:24 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:06 AM   #178

Wow, can't wait to see this thing run! Great job. Thanks for sharing÷
Niche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:38 AM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niche View Post
Wow, can't wait to see this thing run! Great job. Thanks for sharing÷
You and me both!! Thanks

Well got my shipment of bits from Verocious today and looks like one of the mandrel J-bend pipes wasn't shipped, but hopefully they'll be able to get that here before the weekend.

I did a quick test run bending the aluminum pipe with my el-cheapo pipe bender and clearly more strategy will need to be used as the pipe is not bending as cleanly as I hoped. Need to try filling it with sand and see if that helps... hopefully things work better with the 2.5" stainless or I may have wasted money on this pipe bender!

Got everything else for the exhaust, flanges, catalytic converters etc so hopefully we will make some more progress this weekend!

Thanks!
J
Old 03-26-2015, 05:35 AM   #180

Got my IMI Starter~

Hey guys,

Got home last night with another package waiting on my porch, turned out to be the starter I ordered! YAY! I did try to buy it directly from IMI but you have to sign up on the website just to see pricing, so I just called up Kennedy who makes the adapter plate kit and they sell the starters - easy peasy. You may be able to find them cheaper elsewhere but for this one I figured I'd go right to the people who made the adapter plate to make sure I got the correct one.
The adapter plate kit can use a factory GM starter or an IMI high torque starter - I opted to go with the IMI as factory starters are pretty pricy at around $300~ This one set me back $235 plus shipping & handling which came in at a somewhat ridiculous $25~ for UPS ground but whatever, it is what it is. The price seems to be better then anywhere else based on a quick google search so I'm fine with it.

The other advantage to the IMI starter over stock other then being a "hi-torque starter", is that the starter can be clocked to 4 different positions to accommodate more clearance from engine/exhaust. I'll show it in the pics/vids this weekend~

Part number for the starter is IMI-140 for those who are interested~ But if your configuration is different then mine you may want to call and double check with the folks at Kennedy - they are great and will make sure you get the right stuffs~

Thanks
J