Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2014, 11:49 PM   #1

Thumbs up Just got my first Porsche

Hi Everybody,
I've been signed up here for a few weeks so it's about time I showed you my new (to me) Boxster. This forum has already been invaluable in helping me pick this car, that I bought off of the original owner It's a 2002 base manual, black on black, 18 inch wheels, and unusually for 2002, Litronic lights, so no nasty orange indicators. I had a PPI done, which was worth every penny for piece of mind. The original owner has been super careful with it so it's in about as good condition as I think you could get for the year. He even put mats on top of the original Porsche mats to keep them like new! Only done 85K Kilometres, so it should last me a while as it's going to continue being a garage queen, although I don't hold back when I'm driving it. A few of my friends have assumed it was brand new when they first saw it, and interestingly most have thought it was a Ferrari as well. Strange. It's an absolute ton of fun to drive as you all know, the only downside is that we pay SO much for cars in Australia compared to you lucky people in the US. Now all I have to consider is the usual IMS question. My current plan is to get that done when the clutch wears out, and to try not to worry too much until then By the way, I've seen a few comments that the Boxster base is too slow. I'm happy to say that I have no complaints on the performance front at all having driven it a few times. I'm not sure what the problem is!

Last edited by Pominoz; 09-12-2014 at 11:55 PM.
Pominoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:08 AM   #2

Garage
Nice I'm beginning to see a trend, almost every car posted recently is black.

The base it not really slow. As a daily drive they are more than peppy enough. They run well in AX events because of the power and overall balance. Now put it on the track with 911's Caymans Corvettes Camaro's GT2's GT3's and other performance brands, you'll soon want to increase the HP so your not watching the mirror more than the windshield.

No offence to spec Boxster which are quick on track but they have removed hundreds of pounds to get that speed. Increasing the power to weight ratio buy weight reduction.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:56 AM   #3

Drive it and have fun. When you get to where you are going, everyone will be wondering why you are smiling so much.
And don't stress the IMS too much. Remember - you are still far more likely to not have IMS issues than you are, so odds are pretty darn good you are safe. Not saying you shouldn't get that insurance at some point - but try to enjoy the car while you can now.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:56 PM   #4

Congrats!

Beautiful car. I love the look of a black car (when it's clean). And, if you're interested, JC Whitney has an adapter kit to move the steering wheel to the correct side.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnellman View Post
Beautiful car. I love the look of a black car (when it's clean). And, if you're interested, JC Whitney has an adapter kit to move the steering wheel to the correct side.
Black does look great when clean, but keeping it clean is the problem. My Boxster only gets driven on sunny dry days, and I clean it off when I get home. It then stays under a show car cover in the garage until the next time it goes out!

I guess I could have a steering wheel on both sides of the car, that way everybody would be happy
Old 09-13-2014, 06:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
Drive it and have fun. When you get to where you are going, everyone will be wondering why you are smiling so much.
And don't stress the IMS too much. Remember - you are still far more likely to not have IMS issues than you are, so odds are pretty darn good you are safe. Not saying you shouldn't get that insurance at some point - but try to enjoy the car while you can now.
Thanks. I was quite worried about the whole IMS thing when I first found out about it, but I'm starting to calm down about it now.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
Nice I'm beginning to see a trend, almost every car posted recently is black.

The base it not really slow. As a daily drive they are more than peppy enough. They run well in AX events because of the power and overall balance. Now put it on the track with 911's Caymans Corvettes Camaro's GT2's GT3's and other performance brands, you'll soon want to increase the HP so your not watching the mirror more than the windshield.

No offence to spec Boxster which are quick on track but they have removed hundreds of pounds to get that speed. Increasing the power to weight ratio buy weight reduction.
I'm sure you can NEVER have too much power when you are on the track

The speed limits in Australia overall are pretty pathetic, and the cops in Victoria, my state, give you absolutely no leeway. The fines are steep, so it's basically very aggressive revenue raising. Unless you get well out into the country, you pretty much spend all your time driving round in second and third gears. A Boxster S would be even more frustrating
Old 09-15-2014, 12:50 AM   #8

It really looks like a brand new boxster. Congrats!
roux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 01:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pominoz View Post
Hi Everybody,
I've been signed up here for a few weeks so it's about time I showed you my new (to me) Boxster. This forum has already been invaluable in helping me pick this car, that I bought off of the original owner It's a 2002 base manual, black on black, 18 inch wheels, and unusually for 2002, Litronic lights, so no nasty orange indicators. I had a PPI done, which was worth every penny for piece of mind. The original owner has been super careful with it so it's in about as good condition as I think you could get for the year. He even put mats on top of the original Porsche mats to keep them like new! Only done 85K Kilometres, so it should last me a while as it's going to continue being a garage queen, although I don't hold back when I'm driving it. A few of my friends have assumed it was brand new when they first saw it, and interestingly most have thought it was a Ferrari as well. Strange. It's an absolute ton of fun to drive as you all know, the only downside is that we pay SO much for cars in Australia compared to you lucky people in the US. Now all I have to consider is the usual IMS question. My current plan is to get that done when the clutch wears out, and to try not to worry too much until then By the way, I've seen a few comments that the Boxster base is too slow. I'm happy to say that I have no complaints on the performance front at all having driven it a few times. I'm not sure what the problem is!

She's absolutely gorgeous! Spring, Great Ocean Road, top-down are the words that came clicking through. Enjoy your ride mate!
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pominoz View Post
Hi Everybody,

The base Boxster is NOT too slow. Not at all, at least not for street driving.
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:21 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmboxster View Post
The base Boxster is NOT too slow. Not at all, at least not for street driving.

The base is preferred on track even. I drive an S and if you have an autobahn it's great, and you do feel the difference. However, I found the 2.5 almost more fun because more of its speeds was accessible at a legal pace.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:05 AM   #12

Looks very good. Enjoy it!!!!

Greets John

ducati11 is offline   Reply With Quote