Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 08:12 AM   #61

Racing Stripes

Hey guys,

Devoted Saturday to applying my racing stripes on the hood and trunk of my car. I personally like it, but let me know what you think. Thinking about the fender stripes but I wanted to have the hood and trunk stripes be kind of the center piece so I have currently decided against it. Anyhow check it out!

Attached Images

Old 01-31-2011, 08:14 AM   #62

Here's my teaser

Too bad they don't all populate so you can see them all at once.
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2011, 08:17 AM   #63

Spyder Emblem

Check out the spyder emblem...it comes from the factory in a dull black. So I went ahead applied red to the top surface.
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2011, 08:20 AM   #64

Last few pics from the rear

Here are a few more pics from the rear angle
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2011, 02:42 PM   #65

This thread is a great example of why the show & tell forum is my favorite on here. I wish there were more like it!

Incredible work on that 986! It really looks amazing! I really like the way it looks like one fully cohesive concept, instead of a few tacked-on catalog parts. I see a lot of that junk going down the road. (think hondas & jeeps...)

Mostly, I wanted to post up to compliment you on having the guts to do that stripe. I don't think I could do it, and when I was reading your post about a stripe before I actually saw the pics, I was thinking..."stripes? Really? On a Boxster? Uh...not so sure..." But your pics have seriously proven me wrong! They look fantastic!

And by the way, not only am I a stripe skeptic, but i'm also a a stripe hypocrate. My non-striped 986 S shares grarage space with my fully striped Mini Cooper S.

Oh - and one last BTW: If I haven't said already that I think the car looks great, it does. But I'm personally not a fan of the Spyder emblem, only because it isn't one. I've thought to myself about putting a Porsche emblem on the back in place of the Boxster emblem, but haven't done it yet. Nothing against the Box emblem, just wanting something different, so I can understand why you have Spyder on yours.

Last edited by KellyC; 01-31-2011 at 07:45 PM.
KellyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:29 PM   #66
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
I like it too! Great job!
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:38 PM   #67

Car looks, sweet.
jbs986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:25 PM   #68

Garage
Nice one Trieu!

Your car just gets better and better, loving the stripes but I think you may be due an amberectomy pretty soon the finishing touch?
Christian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:39 PM   #69

Thx

Hey Christian,

Thanks for the nice compliment, it's an old car but it has been a joy to work with. Surely, a newer car would be great to own but there is a satisfaction to take what you already have and make the most of it. If I had to redo things, I probably would have went the route of wrapping my dash and doors in alcantara instead...but some things are only meant to be done once, at least when it comes to my patience.

Regarding the amberectomy, does anyone have extreme close up shots...Christian do you have pics? I like the clear look but I'm not a fan of jagged plastics or rough edges if that is the best that can be done to remove the amber. I often wanted to heat the covers of the headlight to separate it from the main portion to get at the amber. Has anyone ever done it that way? If I did that, I would probably matte black out a certain portion of the headlight as well to give it a more aggressive look. But that may be far fetch...I should have tested my idea on the old set of lights I had.

Next for me is to matte black my rims. I've kinda rendered out what I would like to do with it. I am kinda wondering if I should powder coat it or use the matte black vinyl to wrap the rims. The wrap is definitely less permanent if I decide I want to bring back the original polished rims...in my rendering I deambered the lights for you Christian.
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2011, 05:34 PM   #70

holy fuk. awesome.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:46 AM   #71

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trieullionaire
Hey Christian,

Thanks for the nice compliment, it's an old car but it has been a joy to work with. Surely, a newer car would be great to own but there is a satisfaction to take what you already have and make the most of it. If I had to redo things, I probably would have went the route of wrapping my dash and doors in alcantara instead...but some things are only meant to be done once, at least when it comes to my patience.

Regarding the amberectomy, does anyone have extreme close up shots...Christian do you have pics? I like the clear look but I'm not a fan of jagged plastics or rough edges if that is the best that can be done to remove the amber. I often wanted to heat the covers of the headlight to separate it from the main portion to get at the amber. Has anyone ever done it that way? If I did that, I would probably matte black out a certain portion of the headlight as well to give it a more aggressive look. But that may be far fetch...I should have tested my idea on the old set of lights I had.

Next for me is to matte black my rims. I've kinda rendered out what I would like to do with it. I am kinda wondering if I should powder coat it or use the matte black vinyl to wrap the rims. The wrap is definitely less permanent if I decide I want to bring back the original polished rims...in my rendering I deambered the lights for you Christian.
Hey Trieu

You have obviously put a lot of time effort and money into your car and you derserve to be proud of it, it certainly has more character then a lot of newer cars today!

I woke my Box from it's winter slumber and took a few close up pics for you to study

I used the soldering iron technique you can remove the complete amber lens through the indicator bulb mounting hole this does not leave any plastic jagged or otherwise behind!
Completing the first light did make me sweat a bit but it was well worth it.

As far as spliting the full lens cover off I know some VW guys use hot air guns or warm the lights in an oven/stove to separate the lens from the main body of the light but I think it could all end in tears on the Boxster light.

In my first picture it still looks like it has a slight amber glow but I think it must have been the flash reflecting on the silver indicator bulb.

With regards to your wheels either wrapped or painted they will look sweet
Old 02-04-2011, 08:38 AM   #72

That works for me

Hey Christian, thank you so much for doing that for me. That works for me, out with the amber and in with the clear! By the way, your paint looks really great up close...beautiful polish, awesome color too.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:49 PM   #73

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trieullionaire
Hey Christian, thank you so much for doing that for me. That works for me, out with the amber and in with the clear! By the way, your paint looks really great up close...beautiful polish, awesome color too.
Cheers fella!

Any problems with the amber removal, send me a pm
Old 02-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #74

wow your car is so different from earlier pics back in the day both exterior and interior. Great work!

And yeah I had the same idea of blacking out bits of the headlight. I'd love to see what photoshop prototypes you come up with
cbbepop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:00 AM   #75

Very Nice.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:04 PM   #76

Some New Pics Taken Late Afternoon

Here are some of my latest pics...one special new edition is the Klisstle roll bar overlays, one of the forum sponsors. I received the roll bar overlays a little while back and haven't had time to get it painted. It was pretty easy since the overlays come primered, so over the weekend I finally got it done and installed. Anyhow, check it out and let me know what you think.
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #77

A few other pics

I wouldn't of included these extra photos since you guys are probably sick of seeing my car from every angle possible but the sun in the late afternoon really makes lights and shadows more dramatic...so here are a few more pics!
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2011, 01:40 PM   #78
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
I think it looks great! I will admit I'm biased. Not only is it white, but it has Klisstle Overlays.

BTW, I think the wheels powder coated in black will look fantastic!

Keep the pictures coming. I never get tired of looking.
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:17 PM   #79

Love this photo

I agree Derek, the roll bar overlays really freshen up the rear. My brother says the car looks newer with the overlays on.

I did another rendering w/ the black wheels...this time a bit more intricately to show the red calipers...I don't think I have much choice now. I love how it looks. For some reason, that angle really gives the car a very low slung look...got me thinking about lowering the car a wee bit now too. Too many mods not enough time.
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2011, 04:12 PM   #80

looks great.

You should loose the amber in the headlights: http://hverheyen.vssi-eda.com/box_pics/lights/index.html