Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2009, 04:47 PM   #41

Color Dye

Jinster, thanks for the compliment. The color dye is actually made specifically for vinyl and leather. I researched it on the various Porsche forums including this one and came across ColorPlus.com. (I also came across Leatherique but went with ColorPlus because they sent me a leather care pamphlet).

So far so good...It took too many applications of paint to cover the grey interior dash and door parts that I never got around to doing the seats. I did test a small amount of it though on the seats and it does look like it penetrates the leather. On vinyl, since it doesn't really absorb it is more like a flex type paint than a dye in my opinion. But it works pretty good when you get the hang of it.

trieullionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:33 AM   #42
JTP

Do you get alot of glare off that white dashboard?
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:16 PM   #43

Glare

Actually I don't notice much glare at all. In person, it is more creamy in color...not the pure white like the Carrera white which would probably hurt your eyes with the top down. The other thing is it has somewhat a flat finish which doesn't reflect as much if it was glossy. I am contemplating whether to use Armor All on it though...to see how it would look still undecided.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:38 PM   #44

how did you apply that stuff? do you rub it on with a rag or do you paint it on with a brush? so you basically painted the vinyl dash/door parts with leather dye?

it looks cool! wish I could see it in person!
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:35 PM   #45

Yes

I did paint my vinyl pieces with the leather dye. I bought a soft hair brush from the company as well, for minor touch ups...but winded up using the brush for the entire project. I had a lot of raised eyebrows around my garage at first. People thought I was mad applying on the paint with a brush. But the finish product, I myself was pretty surprised how well it turned out.

I took it to Porsche in the Parks, a Suncoast Porsche event in Sarasota, and got a lot of nice compliments for those who got a chance to take a closer look...I even made a grand entry when I pulled in and my car dumped a good gallon of coolant all over the sidewalk.

The great thing was I learned some very useful information from the coolant dumping saga. I got great help from a Suncoast technician who took care of replacing the fluids for my car so I could make it home. He also gave some very practical recommendations as to replacing the reservoirs and flushing the coolants using their vacuuming system. I also met the very nice and knowledgeable Pedro there who taught me a couple tricks on how to air out the coolant system. Thanks to them, I was able to drive my car home without any issues.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:12 PM   #46

one word sums up the work done on this Boxster...

STUNNING!
- 19x8.5 front PS2 235/35/19, 19x10.5 rear PS2 275/30/19
- Kenwood HD6990 Navi, Voce speakers, 8" sub and Hertz amp
yoyo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:28 AM   #47

Garage
Sexy, very Porsche-gini.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:19 PM   #48

This great pictures, thank you for sharing them. I will return to post the picture on this forum and you'll find them great.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:08 PM   #49

Awsome work! I am in process of installing a momo hub for a new steering wheel. Do you have any instructions or pointers on the install? Do I need the spacer that momo is talking about and what did you do to disable the airbag warning. If you used the spacer what does it look like and where can I get one. Thanks in advance! Aloha
hi-boxster168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:42 AM   #50

Steering Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi-boxster168
Awsome work! I am in process of installing a momo hub for a new steering wheel. Do you have any instructions or pointers on the install? Do I need the spacer that momo is talking about and what did you do to disable the airbag warning. If you used the spacer what does it look like and where can I get one. Thanks in advance! Aloha
Hi-Boxster168,

Yes, there is a steering wheel hub adapter you will need that is from MOMO...The replacement is fairly simple, you shouldn't have problems with it. Link to the part: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOMO-Porsche-Boxster-Steering-Wheel-Hub-Adapter-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem45f48cd19eQQitemZ30045 5612830QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries
Old 09-13-2010, 01:59 PM   #51

wow pristine.

& I always wanted a two tone leather seat interior. This color-plus just might be the affordable DIY solution :dance:
cbbepop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:31 PM   #52

Im my sig is a pic of my car with tinted tails and 3rd brake light. Basically sanded them down with a foam sand paper rated at 1000 grit. Mixed up some clear as usual then added some black paint to it. Did the same to my heads and markers which I think looks really good on the black car. The fronts are not nearly as dark and need redone because of the bugs/rocks. Just sprayed the tails an extra time or 2 to get the effect I was going for
Old 09-14-2010, 03:15 AM   #53

Garage
Best thread hijack ever

Nice looking Boxster Jake
Christian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:55 PM   #54

Clutch & Flywheel Upgrade

My clutch started to slip recently, it's currently at 156,000 miles now...I figure since the 2.7 engine has relatively little you can do to upgrade the DME for increased performance, I would upgrade my clutch and flywheel since I have to replace the clutch regardless.

So the Aasco LWF and SPEC Stage 2 clutch kit has been ordered and I should have it installed by next week. I will keep you guys posted on how it performs, hoping it feels like driving a new Boxster again but perhaps with a bit more ooomph! Excited to have my car back to drivability...
Old 12-06-2010, 04:13 AM   #55

That's look really awesome and the main thing I like in it is the dash board. I think you have made it a great looking with such a nice stuff there. GPS is also attached in the system panel. That's cool looking while.
brayanfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:51 PM   #56

1000 miles into my new clutch & lwf

Got new seats too! I know it's not everybody's thing but I was trying to continue with my decor...so I had to swap seats once I saw these. Fortunately for me, they are the least of the expensive ones from Sparco...but how often do you find something that suites your taste and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Impression on the seats. Very firm and supportive, makes the original factory seats seem mushy. I really like the side bolsters on the seats too, they keep you from sliding during the corners.

Impression on the upgraded clutch and lwf...LOVE IT! The first 500 miles I took it real easy but now it's a real hoot to drive. I have a hard time not giving it a bit of gas...between 3 and 5k rmp, the acceleration feels very effortless.

Next on the mod is the cold air intake...well after I get new tires. Any one have experience with Nitto Invo tires? I have Kuhmo Ecsta right now and the tire compound doesn't seem to give me as much grip as I like...had a couple scary moments so looking for a different set of tires to replace them soon.
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2010, 06:52 PM   #57

Red face Sparco Seat

Here is another view
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2010, 06:54 PM   #58

Sparco Seat

Last pic from the side
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2010, 07:45 PM   #59

Garage
Those seats

are the nuts. Well done sir.
gthompson999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:04 PM   #60

Garage
Looks AMAZING! love the handbrake touch. Did those seats mount on the stock sliders?

Last edited by kyleturner2020; 12-16-2010 at 01:11 PM.
kyleturner2020 is offline   Reply With Quote