Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2008, 09:16 AM   #1

'03 Side Vent mod to '02 Boxster

Attempting to post photos of my '03 vent mod.

AKL

Last edited by Allen K. Littlefield; 04-19-2008 at 09:50 AM.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:25 AM   #2

Cool '03 Side vent mod

OK, so far so good as one of the 4 photos I attempted to attach came through so if necessary I will do a single post on each of the next three.

What you are looking at is how I bent up and attached 1/4" galvanized hardware cloth ( actually steel) after spraying it flat grill black (Krylon). You will note the series of three ridges that I have cut out and ran my attaching wires under in order to keep it firmly in place. This is ala Grizzly who inspired me to do this mod. I also bought my '03s from the LA dismantlers that Grizz did. I will dig up the URL if you would like. For around $200 you can do this easy mod. Taking the vents off for cleaning de-snorking or whatever is a cinch since all you now do is remove the top screw and work the vent off as the two lower front tabs keep it in place and the screw holds the whole deal fast.

AKL
Old 04-19-2008, 09:42 AM   #3

I havent seen this mod on Grizzly's car. Hey Grizz, can you post some detailed shots?
Gemballa red face gauges ..(FOR SALE)

http://i28.tinypic.com/2zzlq29.jpg
986speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:42 AM   #4

Side view with new vents

Here are three views. I like the front '02 style bumper as it most resembles the 550 spyder types that I am so fond of. You can also see that I added clear Halogen lights and clear side markers with the silver bulb that flashes yellow. The rear shows painted bumperettes, de-badged rear deck lid, clear tailights (again with silver bulbs that blink yellow) and the clear LED third brake light. I am keeping the 17" wheels for the time being and maybe forever as they are rather unique and in great shape. The addition of the side vent with the raised vent ribs just sets it all off for me. The car is rather bland from the side (running for my bunker) and I feel the visual impact from the '03 vents create a nice focal point that has a Ferrari-ish look to it. So I am now at a point where I don't think there are any other visual mods I wish to make.

Performance wise I have only added the M030 sway bars fore and aft and they do make the machine corner flatter. What the future holds....who knows....but right now I am enjoying the car to the fullest.

AKL

'02 Arctic Silver 2.7 Tip gray interior :dance:
Old 04-21-2008, 07:30 AM   #5

Allen's car...

Nice work Allen!

986 Speedster - The whole side vent discussion is here - http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14437&highlight=side+vents
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet

Last edited by Grizzly; 04-21-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:03 PM   #6

Allen, Very nice work. I have been looking for some sort of vent mod as well. I was looking forward to meeting you and seeing your car in person at Florio's New Windsor Meet on May 10th, but my Daughters Communion is the same day. Please let me know when the next coffee run is or Bear Mt meet AND I'll be sure to make it.
Couper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:50 AM   #7

Couper 1, as I got back to you on PM, I am looking forward to meeting you at the Club race at Lime Rock park this Sat. I will be at or around the HVR hospitality tent. Any of you other Boxsteroids planning on attending the race on Sat? Perhaps we could have a informal gathering some where and exchange ideas or whatever.

AKL