Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2004, 01:42 PM   #1
Forum Member

Front console delete

Hi guys!

I've got a 550 on order (I'm in England so it's one of the ones you guys don't want!) and need to decide whether to go for the front console bit or not.

I'm inclined to add it in (it's a no cost option) but if I don't like it, take it out.

I've searched the site but, being a technical numpty, can't quite work out what bits and pieces I would need to get from Porsche if I did decide to remove it. The dealer is not a lot of help.

Can anyone help? A description and part numbers would be perfect so I can cost the 'delete' option (in the UK).

Thanks

Lizzie

lizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 03:36 PM   #2
Regional Moderator

Check out my pictures here:
http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=431

Personally, I would recommend leaving the console out. On the SE, your serial number plate will be installed on the back carpeted piece. You'd have a hard time doing that later.

I did the console delete for more room, not for looks. But now I realize how much improved the car looks without that fat console in the middle. My opinion, of course!
CharlesGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 10:54 PM   #3
Forum Member

Thanks for the reply, Charles. The jury is still out though! I've looked at your thread and I can see what I lose, but I'm still not sure what I would need to get in place of the console. Obviously I need the bit you've pictured which goes in front of the shifter, but what else do I need?

Lizzie
Old 04-07-2004, 08:45 AM   #4
Regional Moderator

It is hard to understand what you are looking at, but it is a surprisingly large carpeted piece (probably about 6 inches wide). It covers the "back wall" and extends below, in front of, and behind that. 2 more carpeted pieces snap to it also. I'm sorry I don't have a picture of it.

Without those pieces in place, there is a lot of exposed metal and wires.

Last edited by CharlesGordon; 04-07-2004 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:02 AM   #5
Forum Member

Sorry if I'm labouring the point (I'm new to all this) - but did the carpet bits come pre-cut from Porsche? If so, don't happen to have part numbers do you?

I appreciate your help. I'm going to see if I can track down a Boxster without the console at any of the local OPCs over the weekend.

Lizzie
Old 04-07-2004, 10:48 AM   #6
Regional Moderator

Yes, everything in the kit snaps together. I think there were a couple of misaligned holes in mine, but I still got the whole thing done in about an hour.

You need the kit (about $120), the little plastic piece in front of the shifter, and a new bezel for the climate control system (since it will move from the console to the upper dash).

Wouldn't you just rather get this from the factory? Installed, plus it will have the "#X of 1953" plate in the middle of carpet.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:37 PM   #7

Lizzie -

The carpet pieces are all pre-cut and mounted to a plastic frame that covers the airbag sensor and other bits and pieces behind the console. The attached picture has a rough outline I added of the size of the console's carpeted area from my install. Suncoast sold me my kit and I can't find the invoice to give you the part numbers, but Porsche makes them in all 2003-2004 interior carpet colors and has the matching trim piece for each console color. It takes a lot longer to get unique colors. I had a Natural Brown Leather console on order for two months before changing my mind on an order and buying a Boxster S out of stock. The new car's Savanna Beige color was in stock and shipped the day I ordered it. Here's Suncoast's web page on the console:

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=gt3console&Category_Code=986sport

The only glitch in doing it yourself as Charlie mentioned is that the front mounting hole on the kit are too smal lto fit over the bolts.

I'd recommend getting the 500 SE model with the console delete and adding a non-smoker kit (also on Suncoast's website) for a storage niche if you want storage at hand.

Good luck!!

Brian
BrianF1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 06:43 AM   #8

Never understood the urge to get rid of that console. I find it very handy to have it there. It looks naked and ugly without it IMO. To each his own I guess.
mjbliemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 05:42 PM   #9
Support Local Music

here's mine. my knee doesn't bang into the edge anymore.
red*farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 08:14 PM   #10

Hey red*farm,
Yeah that is something I need. A cup holder in that location. Where did you get it? Also where can I get the parts needed to do the delete? like carpet or anything else I might need...help would be appreciated
Not that I am anxious to get rid of the extra storage space, but my knee always starts to get annoyed with the console and gets sore when doing any extended driving from resting on it
jfmillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 03:07 AM   #11
Regional Moderator

That's funny...I went without that little plastic piece for a months while it was backordered, and I thought about putting something there. Very clever!
Old 04-13-2004, 03:11 AM   #12
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by jfmillr
Not that I am anxious to get rid of the extra storage space, but my knee always starts to get annoyed with the console and gets sore when doing any extended driving from resting on it [/B]
Just do it! You can remove the console in less than a hour and drive around without it for a week. At the end of the week you can decide to either reinstall the console or order the kit to cover up some ugly metal/wires.

IMHO it really makes the cockpit less claustrophobic feeling. Plus the added room for your knee is great.