Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2007, 01:35 PM   #1

Brake pad swapout?

Are the brake pads in a 01 base Boxster very difficult to swap out? I've done brake pad swaps on other vehicles, and it's no problem. Are there any special tricks or obstacles on the Boxster? No special tools needed?

I need to swap all the pads very soon, and yes, I'll get a Bentley manual, but I might not have it beforehand, so I wanted to ask here first.

FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 01:52 PM   #2

It's pretty easy, especially if you have the Bentley manual.

Basically - (insert any and all possible disclaimers about safety here) but.. remove wheel... locate brake caliper... remove "pin" and "clip"... may need to spread the calipers to loosen the pad... remove pad sensors.. remove pads. Insert new pads, apply sensors, replace clip and pin, re-install wheel.

* if you can't fit the new pads in because the pistons have closed up again, carefully spread them apart. Also, if your brake fluid resevoir is pretty full, be aware that when the pistons are "pushed in" it could push fluid out the overflow line. Brake fuid is very corrosive.

The manual will be very helpful with pictures/descriptions as needed.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:06 PM   #3

Piece of cake

try this website for detailed explanation and pics

http://bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/brakes/

Took me a bit longer the first time but now it only takes a about 5 minutes per wheel (excluding jacking, and wheel removal).
Old 01-05-2007, 02:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
Are the brake pads in a 01 base Boxster very difficult to swap out? I've done brake pad swaps on other vehicles, and it's no problem. Are there any special tricks or obstacles on the Boxster? No special tools needed?

I need to swap all the pads very soon, and yes, I'll get a Bentley manual, but I might not have it beforehand, so I wanted to ask here first.
Hi,

If you've done it before, its pretty straightforward, not really different at all except for maybe the Brake Wear Sensors.

racer_d is correct about overflowing the Brake Fluid Reservoir. I always use a Turkey baster and extract the fluid down to the fill line. Then, when you spread the calipers (which you will almost certainly have to do with worn pads to accomodate the thickness of the new ones), you aren't in danger of overflowing the reservoir. Once finished, just top the system back up.

* remember, the Brake Fluid change interval on the Boxster is every two years. If you don't know when it was last changed, now would be a good time to do it and establish the benchmark...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 03:11 PM   #5

Thanks guys, I was hoping it would be straight forward. Had the car at the dealer for a little thing (license plate lights), and they said the rear pads are just about completely gone, and the fronts are at about 20%. I'm sure they have a LITTLE life in 'em, but I am not going to pay a dealer big $$$ to do something I can handle myself. Pelican has OEM pads at a pretty good price, so I'll just order some and swap them out in a week or so.

Acid, thanks for the link. It does look like a straight forward job. I bet I could do all four wheels in a couple hours!

I'll have to post a report when I do it in a week or two! Thanks guys!
Old 01-05-2007, 06:31 PM   #6
boggtown

I was lucky, when I did my BMW's pads I expanded every caliper and put new pads in and the fluid line went right to the fill line.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:37 PM   #7

So I thought I saw it on that how-to site... what are the minimum thicknesses for the front and rear rotors? I figure I'll check them while I'm in there. I figure they'll be within spec, but I'd like to be sure.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:42 AM   #8

I just finished the brake pad swap. EASY. Only took a couple hours for all four. Only cut myself ONCE, too!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
Old 01-12-2007, 03:18 PM   #9

Funny thing...The Boxster has been the EASIEST car I have ever worked on! And trust me...I am no mechanic! Brake pads and rotors,plugs,belts,fluids...etc are very easy DIYer processes. The mystique of this car being some "exotic" has only been good for the dealerships who justify the large amounts of money they charge.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by xclusivecar
Funny thing...The Boxster has been the EASIEST car I have ever worked on! And trust me...I am no mechanic! Brake pads and rotors,plugs,belts,fluids...etc are very easy DIYer processes. The mystique of this car being some "exotic" has only been good for the dealerships who justify the large amounts of money they charge.
Hi,

Amen to that!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote