View Single Post
Old 01-05-2007, 02:39 PM   #4
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
Are the brake pads in a 01 base Boxster very difficult to swap out? I've done brake pad swaps on other vehicles, and it's no problem. Are there any special tricks or obstacles on the Boxster? No special tools needed?

I need to swap all the pads very soon, and yes, I'll get a Bentley manual, but I might not have it beforehand, so I wanted to ask here first.
Hi,

If you've done it before, its pretty straightforward, not really different at all except for maybe the Brake Wear Sensors.

racer_d is correct about overflowing the Brake Fluid Reservoir. I always use a Turkey baster and extract the fluid down to the fill line. Then, when you spread the calipers (which you will almost certainly have to do with worn pads to accomodate the thickness of the new ones), you aren't in danger of overflowing the reservoir. Once finished, just top the system back up.

* remember, the Brake Fluid change interval on the Boxster is every two years. If you don't know when it was last changed, now would be a good time to do it and establish the benchmark...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote