Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2006, 01:29 PM   #1

How do you time the top transmission?

I need to replace the top cables, one of them snapped. Dealer says it's $700 worth of labor, I found the part for $35/cable. He says the issue is timing the transmission.

I searched and searched, but couldn't find directions on how to complete this repair. Any help appreciated.

thanks, Jeeter

jeeter15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 08:30 PM   #2

Hi,

Replacing the cable isn't too difficult, but it gets involved. Timing it is pretty easy - you'll need a ruler or gauge and a portable drill.

Here's the procedure:
  • 1. Open Top approx. 5" from windshield Header. Remove Ignition Key to prevent accidentally triggering it.

2. Remove Lower Ball Socket tensioning cable from L,R sides.

3. Remove Fabric Flap at the Rear Panel (push downward at both clips).

4. Fold rear of Top back until you feel it catch (for Glass window tops, use retaining strap to support glass).

5. Use a screwdriver to remove Hard Tonneau Ball Socket from Transmission Drive Lever.

6. Remove Drive Lever Mounting Bolt.

7. Remove Drive Lever from Transmission and fold forward.

8. Remove Plastic cover for Transmission.

9. Remove Plastic screws holding foam insulation over transmission and fold back.

10. Remove Transmission Mounting Bolts and pull Transmission out along with the cable.

11. Remove Transfer Gear cover screws to remove cable.

12. Attach new cable to transmission cover and loosely attach Drive Lever to Transmission. Be sure to align the casting marks on the tranny case. Use a portable Drill to turn cable to move lever if necessary.

13. Remove Lever and reattach transmission to body (16 ft.-lbs.), reattach Plastic Cover and Foam Insulation.

14. Reattach Drive Lever to Transmission Body (59 ft.-lbs.).

15. Using a Ruler, raise/lower Drive Lever (using Drill) measuring from the pivot link to the Gasket for the Top Tonneau (195mm ± 0.5mm).

16. Once both sides are equal, attach cables to Motor and reattach Tensioning Cable Ball Sockets on both sides, drop rear of Cloth Top and reattach Fabric Flap. Carefully operate Top to check operation. Caution - the Top Tonneau is Aluminum and will easily bend and crease if the measurements are not exact and equal.

Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:44 AM   #3

Thanks Jim, appreciate the reply. I guess I'll go ahead and order the cable!

-Jeeter
jeeter15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeter15
Thanks Jim, appreciate the reply. I guess I'll go ahead and order the cable!

-Jeeter
Hi,

No worries. It pays to replace both cables because if one went, the other will follow it in short order.

Before beginning, be sure to familiarize yourself with the Top's various parts and operation. Once you can visualize how it all works, then proceed, you'll avoid errors which could cause greater damage. PM me with your email addy and I'll forward an exploded view of the Top and Mechanism as a Word document. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote