Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2022, 03:12 PM   #1

Garage
99 Boxster Ims/Engine issues

99 Boxster has sat for 10 years. Finally getting to it. I can get the engine to turn but not start. Can I post here and and as the forum gives me suggestions I can try them? I have replaced, ignition switch and a few minor modules to get things back up and running.

jax944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 11:36 AM   #2

Garage
You don't seem to be getting much help, so here is my 2 cents worth. Get an OBD reader, even a cheap one might give you some indications of what is going on. Try starter fluid in the intake (remove the air filter for access?). Pull a spark plug to see if you have a spark. Engines still run on 2 things, fuel and spark... plus the will of the electronics gods... which depends on a few thousand other things.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 04:59 PM   #3

Garage
And don't forget a manual. There's a lot of info specific to the Boxster in there. Without it and a code reader, you're flying blind.
Old 03-20-2022, 10:24 AM   #4

Garage
I found the fuel pump with sender unit damaged. Have the parts today and will repair tonight. I know the gas was the issue today but the car still has some issue from 10 years ago. So that will be tomorrows post. I will puta video here tomorrow. I have duremetric software but it seems to not register anything and from my memory the car had to be started to get into the nooks and crannies. Correct me if Im wrong. I can activate some things like locks, fans and a few others but the core engine codes are now showing up YET! I look forward to tomorrow and see what is next on the list.
Old 03-22-2022, 08:01 PM   #5

Garage
Join Date: Jul 2009 and your first post was in 2022. Thats impressive
CharlesE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 03:39 PM   #6

Garage
Not much progress.

I had 2 registrations for my 944 and this one. i was injured for most of this period that the car sat so I was limited mentally on focus and physical mobility. Good news. Mobility is back lol. Mental … well lets light candles and hope for the best. I am posing a video of the work I did last night. Im still not getting the fuel pump to prime or sound like its working at all. Did the relay jumper as well. Here we go. Please stnd bye and be gentle. We cant load video here?
Old 06-06-2022, 05:31 AM   #7

Garage
Good luck sorting the issues out! I think you can only post a link to a video.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 10:13 AM   #8

Garage
Link to videos

https://youtube.com/shorts/3cKfVexGY4I?feature=share
Here is a link to a youtube channel I created to share my videos. Here is my process.

Used Durametric software to obd port but no errors are recorded. I cannot start the car to get the software to diagnose anything YET.
Replaced ignition coils and inspected sparkplugs.
Replaced fuel pump, sending unit and filter.
Removed relay under dash and replaced with bridge wire for fuel pump bypass.
Used a can of spray gas to get the engine to start.

The 2 videos show that unless I use the dry gas I cannot get any ignition out of the engine. Tomorrow ... Tues/June 7th.... I will be tracking down the wiring for the fuel pump and associated components to make sure an electrical current is there and activating the pump etc. Any other ideas that anyone may have is greatly appreciated. I would like to be able to research and collect the tools to work on any of your suggestions as I am doing my check. If you cannot view the videos please let me know. Thanks.
Old 06-06-2022, 10:15 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgyqc View Post
You don't seem to be getting much help, so here is my 2 cents worth. Get an OBD reader, even a cheap one might give you some indications of what is going on. Try starter fluid in the intake (remove the air filter for access?). Pull a spark plug to see if you have a spark. Engines still run on 2 things, fuel and spark... plus the will of the electronics gods... which depends on a few thousand other things.
I have 2 obd readers and 1 of them is the durametric software for a pc. Until I can get the car to start and generate codes.... both are useless at the moment.
Old 06-06-2022, 10:37 AM   #10

Garage
Boxster 99 Ignition IMS

I am not sure where the post I just did went... Lets try this again.

I am providing a link here to the youtube videos of the ignition attempt.
2 vides are posted and this is where I am at.

https://youtube.com/shorts/3cKfVexGY4I?feature=share
https://youtube.com/shorts/KLIwHPbqBeM?feature=share

I have completed and prepped for.....

Replaced Ignition coils and inspected sparkplugs.
Replaced Fuel pump, sending unit and fuel filter
Removed fuel pump relay and connected the 1 wire bridge to force the fuel pump to perform but I do not hear anything coming from the fuel pump in regards to priming or hearing any activation to pressurize the fuel line.
Fuel is present in the line after the fuel filter replacement.
Tomorrow June 7th I will be doing an electrical trace to see if any wiring is damaged and not providing a current.
I have the durametric software for pc and a hand held odb reader but both are not showing anything until I get the car to fire up.

Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated so I can run that down while I am doing my checks.

Thanks...
Old 06-06-2022, 10:39 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgyqc View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I have completed both of them and will do it again tomorrow. I am also removing the spark plugs and putting my finger over the opening to check for suction/pressure but unfortunately I have to enlist someone to turn the key lol. I will keep updating the thread.
Old 06-06-2022, 06:44 PM   #12

If the car is turning over but not starting, you have either a fuel or spark problem.

As you mentioned, fuel pump can be bypassed to check flow volume. After replacing the pump, did you do this? You should at least 700 or 750cc/min (I forget the exact number)

If you have fuel, it may be a spark problem. Cracked coil housings are common. Have you checked for spark on your plugs yet?

The catch here is the immobilizer. If your key isn't clearing the immobilizer, it won't send spark to the coils. So if you find no spark on any coil while turning over, this could be the problem.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2022, 10:18 AM   #13
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
The catch here is the immobilizer. If your key isn't clearing the immobilizer, it won't send spark to the coils. So if you find no spark on any coil while turning over, this could be the problem.
If it sat for 10 years, there's a very good chance the immobilizer got wet.

Was the car stored inside or outside?

Check the drains under the convertible top, if they are clogged that is the first clue water may have overflowed and gotten under the driver's seat at some point. Next step is to remove the seat and inspect the immobilizer. There are some places you can send the immobilizer to for repair if it's not too far gone.
Old 06-08-2022, 08:23 AM   #14

Garage
On the first video your engine was running for a couple secs when you were spraying into the intakes, so you have spark but seems like there is no gas. My 99 boxster also sat 11 years and the fuel lines inside the tank got very brittle and cracked, producing similar isssues. If the fuel pressure builds up properly in the rails, I would pull the connector from one of the injectors and measure with a multimeter if it gets power while cranking. If not, somehow the DME blocks fuel injection.

Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
99boxster