Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2022, 05:07 AM   #1

HPDE - Radio Interference w/Engine Speed

Hi Folks,

Hope everyone is well.

I went to my regional PCA group's HPDE day this weekend and noticed that when I have the radio turned on to chat with my instructors, there is an audible whine or "interference" if you will, and the pitch adjusts to the engine speed.

Is this normal or is there something I need to look at more seriously? My guess are some grounding points but I'm not even sure where to start. Any leads appreciated. Thanks!

Old 06-06-2022, 06:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Hi Folks,

Hope everyone is well.

I went to my regional PCA group's HPDE day this weekend and noticed that when I have the radio turned on to chat with my instructors, there is an audible whine or "interference" if you will, and the pitch adjusts to the engine speed.

Is this normal or is there something I need to look at more seriously? My guess are some grounding points but I'm not even sure where to start. Any leads appreciated. Thanks!
You have interference from a ground loop. You can buy loop isolators for headphone and RCA jacks online. They are not perfect but work well. Otherwise you need to ground your audio system directly to the battery.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2022, 02:20 PM   #3

I should clarify - the radio I am referring to is the radio box between me and my instructor, the on dashboard radio/deck. Thanks!
Old 06-07-2022, 04:00 PM   #4

Many intercom communicators have this issue.

HMS' Trac-Com's v2.0 has greatly reduced this feedback/interference issue compared to their v1.0 and the Chatterboxes out there. For a while HMS was offering a reduced price to upgrade to v2 from v1 - not sure if they still do but worth the ask.

https://www.hmsmotorsport.com/item/trac-com-intercom-v2/trac-com

Good luck!
Old 06-07-2022, 09:06 PM   #5

Yes, I assumed as such. This is a common problem with aftermarket audio installs.

You have a headset, yes ? (I'm assuming your system isn't wireless)

Try this (for 3.5mm back) - https://www.amazon.com/BESIGN-Ground-Isolator-Stereo-System/dp/B06XQYN77L/ref=asc_df_B06XQYN77L/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198076596450&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1257800385607848135&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=21156&hvtargid=pla-350233567378&psc=1

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2022, 05:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
Many intercom communicators have this issue.

HMS' Trac-Com's v2.0 has greatly reduced this feedback/interference issue compared to their v1.0 and the Chatterboxes out there. For a while HMS was offering a reduced price to upgrade to v2 from v1 - not sure if they still do but worth the ask.

https://www.hmsmotorsport.com/item/trac-com-intercom-v2/trac-com

Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
Yes, I assumed as such. This is a common problem with aftermarket audio installs.

You have a headset, yes ? (I'm assuming your system isn't wireless)

*Edited*
This is the exact radio our club uses.

And yes, I am plugged in to the box using the student helmet boom. The feedback pitch goes up and down with my engine speed, so I'm not sure if its my Continental aftermarket radio that needs to be further ground or if it's something else. I took out the CDR-220 as it was defective and installed a factory look-alike from Continental. For what it's worth, the Continental head unit is turned off during instruction.

Last edited by bcrdukes; 06-08-2022 at 05:21 AM.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote