Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2021, 06:36 AM   #1

Alignment Recommendations

Hi Fellow Boxster Owners,

My 2001 S is lowered on H&R springs (1" drop) on Koni Special Active (also known as Koni FSD.)

Seeing as my car is lowered, I have the current alignment settings:

Front Left / Front Right
Camber: -1.81 / -1.85
Toe: 0.02 / 0.01

Rear Left / Front Right
Camber: -2.50 / -2.50
Toe: 0.13 / 0.14

I got a nice Pelican Parts gift card from some friends a while back and finally pulled the trigger to get some fun parts, and one of them is the Rennline adjustable rear toe control arm kit with the rubber boots.

Since this now allows for rear toe adjustment, any recommendations on alignment settings? If I'm lucky, I'll hit the track once or twice this year, but it looks grim based on the COVID situation. Otherwise, it's mostly street and spirited drives, mostly on highway, taking sweeping highway exits etc. I'm open to a compromise-type of alignment until I spend more time at the track next year. I'm not super concerned about tire wear. Car will likely hit up the alignment rack this Thursday should all things go well. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by bcrdukes; 07-06-2021 at 06:39 AM.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 02:49 PM   #2

thats more rear camber than I'd want for a street car. Rest looks fine.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 02:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
thats more rear camber than I'd want for a street car. Rest looks fine.
After lowering the rear 1" you should try to get the Minimum negative camber that you can, and should be able to get it around the -2 degrees neighborhood
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 03:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
After lowering the rear 1" you should try to get the Minimum negative camber that you can, and should be able to get it around the -2 degrees neighborhood
agreed, 2 is a good number
Old 07-08-2021, 05:00 PM   #5

Sent the car to the shop today and nobody could change the camber. It's these darn H&R springs. 2 would have been the ideal number but it was a no go.
Old 07-09-2021, 12:43 PM   #6

kind of odd, but ok, not a huge deal. As long as your toe is in decent shape, your tire wear will be decent. I run 2.5 rear with 3.25 in the front and the balance is decent, but I don't think you'll notice too much of an issue out there.
Old 07-09-2021, 02:47 PM   #7

Odd indeed. Any thoughts?

I'm now thinking of maybe bringing the car back to stock height. I don't know if I want to stick with the H&R springs anymore. They are more hassle than they are worth mainly because I scrape almost every time I go over speed bumps where I live. That would also let me bring the camber back up to factory specs with some wiggle room.

I still have my factory springs - re-use them? or get brand new springs? Not sure if spring sag is applicable in this situation.
Old 07-10-2021, 08:15 AM   #8

"Wiggle Room!" I saw what you did there!

Larry (the Bald Eagle)
Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 05:34 PM   #9

[QUOTE=bcrdukes; I'm now thinking of maybe bringing the car back to stock height. I don't know if I want to stick with the H&R springs anymore. [/QUOTE]

Bcrdukes, The 986 chassis it's an awesome driving machine right out of the box (assuming that all of it's components are in good shape), and with the aftermarket components you just added, it should sharpen the handling noticeable.

IMHO many people lower their cars mainly for looks, some love the lowered stance even if means the added attention required when you are diving a lowered car, like a steep driveway, speed bumps, parking lot curves, etc.,

Why don't you drive it for a couple of days, considering the hazels mentioned above and then decided if the looks and handling alone would make you keep it the way it is now.

PS: if you cross the speed bumps diagonally you can help the scrapping part (you'll get used to fairly quickly..) I had been lowering my cars for about 40+ years and just look the stance of a lowered car, but is not for everyone

Last edited by Gilles; 07-11-2021 at 05:40 PM.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote