Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2022, 08:44 AM   #61

Good info Ike and much appreciated. I understand what you're saying.

Here's the tail of the tape. I have an IPD plenum and GT3 throttle body already on the top end. I'm recently officially retired for 1 yr now although I've been semi-retired for 5 yrs before that. Cash flow is an issue since income is now more important than when I was employed. The initial est for this job was $23K but I'm fairly certain the final number will be somewhere around $26-27K. The "while you're in there's" will prob be around $2K of that total. Toss in the $8K trans that was only supposed to be $2500 (not part of the orig $23K est) and you see the project is WAY over budget as it currently sits. No room for an additional $5K for headers / cats, etc. Maybe down the road.

I'm not sure if the guys at SLM will want to take the time to do exhaust swaps and multiple runs to compare. They probably want their big check too since this has been an 11 mo adventure. And I know they're backed up with work since it took them 2 wks to get to my car after the engine arrived back in OMA. They said they're already short a mechanic and 1 was out sick for a period of time. Bottom line is they're probably just as happy to see Sydney out the door as I will be.

2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 10:05 AM   #62

I hear ya, sometimes wants can't always line up with needs.

Fwiw, I can send you the parts list for building a 2.5" exhaust setup. The only part that will need to be fabbed is a 2 to 2.5" adapter which is paid a buddy $25 and took him 30 min. All together my setup cost me under $500, including the headers midpipes cats mufflers and tips, with everything being enamel coated and then wrapped in heat wrap.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2022, 06:06 PM   #63

It's ALIVE!!!

Old 05-09-2022, 08:26 PM   #64

Beautiful!

Old 05-10-2022, 05:27 AM   #65

Garage
Great news!
Old 05-10-2022, 03:00 PM   #66

Sounds awesome, congratulations!
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 06:15 PM   #67

Old 05-11-2022, 06:40 PM   #68

Sydney's on the dyno. Break-in Thu afternoon. Getting closer to the Done Sign.

Old 05-13-2022, 06:58 PM   #69

Sydney's home! :dance:

It's been almost a yr. Her engine was pulled June 1 of last yr. She really runs well now. Seems to have more of a growl than my Box, which also has PSE. I'm so happy.

But I won't be able to put another 1000 mi on her for an oil change and trans fluid change before next week's DE. Can't have everything, I guess.

Daytona in the fall!
Old 05-13-2022, 09:53 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
Sydney's home! :dance:

It's been almost a yr. Her engine was pulled June 1 of last yr. She really runs well now. Seems to have more of a growl than my Box, which also has PSE. I'm so happy.

But I won't be able to put another 1000 mi on her for an oil change and trans fluid change before next week's DE. Can't have everything, I guess.

Daytona in the fall!
Oh come on, that's only about 17hrs of driving! Leave tomorrow morning and you'll be home in time for church

Old 05-14-2022, 03:04 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
Oh come on, that's only about 17hrs of driving! Leave tomorrow morning and you'll be home in time for church

If that was all I had on my agenda, I could knock it out in no time. But next wk's DE is also our Club Race and besides being a CDI and instructor, I'm also our club's registrar so I have a lot of paperwork, badges, and emails ahead of me. And I need to be at the track Thu afternoon and the track is 2.5 hrs away.

Plus I'm in the process of moving. I've got most of the stuff moved to my new house but still have a few rooms to go (thankfully the garage and basement are done). The cleaners come on Mon and the carpet cleaners on Tue. Then photo shoots by the realtor. Want to get my current house sold before the mkt collapses. I've lived there for 34 yrs - you accumulate a lot of crap in that time, so it takes a while to go thru everything and decide if you need to keep or toss it.

And it's not just an oil change after 1000 mi. I also need to change the trans fluid, which is a bit more involved. Since I didn't do it the last time I changed trans fluid, I plan to cut / drill a hole in the triangle plate so I won't need to take it off the next time I change fluid (I'll be changing trans fluid a lot more often, per the trans expert in AZ). That will add time to the project as I want to measure multiple times and drill once. The old "if you fail to plan..."

So having Syndey ready to go by Thu morning to make the DE is a pipe dream. But I've waited a yr, a few more wks isn't going to kill me. Just like cars for sale, there's always another DE around the corner. Gotta take the long view.

Last edited by husker boxster; 05-14-2022 at 03:14 AM.
Old 05-14-2022, 03:53 AM   #72

Garage
Quote:
Gotta take the long view.
Yes Sir.

And my message was to short….
Old 05-14-2022, 06:03 AM   #73

I feel ya on the move. Wants vs needs, again, lol. Good luck to you

Old 06-10-2022, 12:22 PM   #74

Ever since I got Sydney back, I've been wanting to put the clear engine cover on. Trouble is, with the move, I can't find the mounting pins. I know where the cover itself is, but can't locate the pins. I know they made the move as they rolled around in the trunk of my moving vehicle for about a wk. But I finally took them out and placed them somewhere and now I can't find them. I've probably spend at least 2 full hrs looking. Generally I can remember what box has stuff in it and remember where the box is in the basement. But this wasn't in a box, I put them somewhere. My next thing is to look where my 1st inclination to put them. That's generally worked. But not for those stinking pins. Dog gone it!

Then 2 days ago I found them. I'd put them in an upstairs room of stuff that we didn't sell for my mom's estate sale (I'm moving into her house). I guess my thought process was I'd be moving items out of that room not long after I moved there. Well it was 10 days, so I guess that was close. Anyway, the pins are found and now I can show off my $28K engine.

Old 06-12-2022, 05:01 AM   #75

Garage
That's really a nice view, but how loud is it?
Old 06-13-2022, 04:06 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsguy View Post
That's really a nice view, but how loud is it?
Obviously a tad louder in the cabin with the foam and carpet removed, but certainly not intrusive. The new engine actually sounds better. The orig had a whooshing sound in the 2500-3500 rpm range that you could hear quite clearly with the clear cover on. That whoosh is gone, replaced with sweet revving sounds now.
Old 06-13-2022, 09:28 AM   #77

Quote:
Ever since I got Sydney back, I've been wanting to put the clear engine cover on. Trouble is, with the move, I can't find the mounting pins. I know where the cover itself is, but can't locate the pins. I know they made the move as they rolled around in the trunk of my moving vehicle for about a wk. But I finally took them out and placed them somewhere and now I can't find them. I've probably spend at least 2 full hrs looking. Generally I can remember what box has stuff in it and remember where the box is in the basement. But this wasn't in a box, I put them somewhere. My next thing is to look where my 1st inclination to put them. That's generally worked. But not for those stinking pins. Dog gone it!

Then 2 days ago I found them. I'd put them in an upstairs room of stuff that we didn't sell for my mom's estate sale (I'm moving into her house). I guess my thought process was I'd be moving items out of that room not long after I moved there. Well it was 10 days, so I guess that was close. Anyway, the pins are found and now I can show off my $28K engine.

Man, that looks nice. Makes me want a clear engine cover.
MHudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 08:23 PM   #78

Congrats man

spdrcr21 is offline   Reply With Quote