Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2021, 01:11 PM   #1
Veteran & Boxster Padawan

Seeking a little more sound on my 2001S

Ok, so I’ve been reading posts here on the forum (very helpful - great group of car enthusiasts) there are recent tips/mods while others from years past with many after-market products no longer available or have been replaced/upgraded. Some mods simply require a drill bit or punch like the Crios exhaust modification...

So, I am seeking some updated advice surrounding the Crios modification for my S/3.2 versus “second CAT elimination pipes” (which I cannot seem to find online) added to the “stock” (no holes) factory muffler system. Only ones I see on EB are ~$500 and that can’t be right otherwise pretty easy decision for me to just plug in that drill!

Basically, saving my pennies for items like AOS, coolant reservoir, and other parts when (and they will at some point) need replacement - but, in the meantime really want “a little more sound” out of this car without spending $$$ on aftermarket exhaust.

So Crios or 2nd CAT eliminated (tell me where to purchase those pipes please) I know exhaust sound is subjective, but I wanted to refresh the subject as get some feedback before taking drill in hand.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by Farmlifer; 01-09-2021 at 01:17 PM.
Farmlifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 01:36 PM   #2

Odd...I recall paying $150 for mine, but that was about 5 years ago now. Bought them from Top Speed (an ebay brand). No idea why they would be so pricey now as they really have no reason to be.

Thought about doing the crios mod myself but wasn't crazy about the fact that it's not reversible, not to mention its much more time consuming to replace the muffler than the midpipes if you don't like the sound. Lots of people seem to be happy with the crios mod, however. If I were to do it, I would start with small holes and go from there.

This is my 04, stock exhaust except for the bypass pipes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BDSL28XgZI
boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 01:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxxster View Post
Odd...I recall paying $150 for mine, but that was about 5 years ago now. Bought them from Top Speed (an ebay brand). No idea why they would be so pricey now as they really have no reason to be.
That’s what I was hoping to spend about ~$150 - sounds good just what I am looking for both price and sound...

I must have the wrong pipes “00-04 Porsche 986 Boxster Secondary Cat Bypass Pipes” which are $595 and I cannot find anything like those from Top Speed???
Old 01-09-2021, 02:36 PM   #4

Weird, I just checked Top Speed's site and they don't have any for sale. Circuit Werks only has them for the 2.5, and they are $128, which makes sense. The prices and lack of availability must be due to some sort of covid related worldwide test pipe shortage or something lol
Old 01-09-2021, 03:16 PM   #5

Well, fingers crossed I put a WTB out there maybe someone has one to sell after they upgraded entire exhaust system - never know.

So they have for the 2.5 you’d think the 3.2 would be in stock too - guess I will have to be sure to read the fine print to make sure I get the right one assuming I can locate.

Thanks for chatting!
Old 01-09-2021, 03:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Weird, I just checked Top Speed's site and they don't have any for sale. Circuit Werks only has them for the 2.5, and they are $128, which makes sense. The prices and lack of availability must be due to some sort of covid related worldwide test pipe shortage or something lol
Are these the right ones? I did not know to look for “test pipe” versus cat delete...

Porsche Boxster 986 00-04 2.7/3.2 TestPipe

https://www.circuitwerksusa.com/product/circuit-werks-porsche-boxster-986-00-04-2-7-3-2-test-pipe-cat-delete-testpipe-tp/
Old 01-09-2021, 03:35 PM   #7

Actually yes, those are them! Sorry, must have missed them when I looked. Those are what you're after.
Old 01-11-2021, 05:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Those are what you're after.
Boxxster, based on your experience performing the removal do you see this CW version being an easy DIY? I noticed these plates which are not on the Top Speed version.
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2021, 08:45 AM   #9

Should be just as easy. You'll notice when you take the stock midpipes off they have brackets in the same place (extra support because the cats are pretty heavy). Bypass pipes are pretty light so those plates become kind of superfluous. I guess circuit werks included them anyways. Use them if they line up nicely and it makes you feel better. If they're making aligning the rest of the pipe a pain, I don't see any harm in chopping them off.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:06 AM   #10
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Internal exhaust mod

This is what you want to do. Pretty easy and if you can weld it's free. If not i'm sure a shop will do it for less than an aftermarket muffler. I've done the CRIOS mod and tried a Circut Works muffler. The link is by far the best sound and no drone. It's a great winter project if you live in colder weather.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:57 AM   #11

An easy "one off" of this type of mod is to get a long drill bit and drill into the internal baffle chambers from the exhaust tips. It has the same effect only no welding required.

I have done a bunch of exhaust mods to mine so here's my take on them (from easiest to hard)

- desnorkle. Just do it. Fantastic intake roar over 4k. Easy to do, no tools required other than philips head screwdriver, and if you're worried about the "cigarette butt in the I take" thing just duct tape some window screen over the inside of the grill.
- drill into internal baffles. Easy to do, the bit will cost you $10. There's is a drone from 2800-3000 but it will subside over time. Some really like this mod. Others (including myself) aren't crazy over it. There's a bit more low range rumble but it verges on the sound of an exhaust leak.
-china muffler. Not bad, a bit better than the baffle drilling, but drone is worse. Db killer inserts into the tailpipes help a bunch with that but then what are you really doing?
- test pipes (secondary cat delete pipes). A fair bit louder than baffle drilling, but if used with stock exhaust will not wind up getting you pulled over. I never tried it with china muffler, but I would imagine it would be quite loud. Note though that the secondary cats actually do most of the emission scrubbing and by deleting them you will fail a sniff test (although you would pass an obd2 test since your readiness checks are all still ok)
-straight pipe! Currently in the process of this using catless long tube headers and pieced together aftermarket 2.5” downpipes. I'm probably going to need hearing aids in a few months.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2021, 03:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
Hope this helps
Thanks much for the help!

Delayed too long to order test pipes will have to wait on availability and bolt up to the stock exhaust.

I have a WTB here on forum and EB search running maybe a slightly used will become available.

Can’t wait for a little more roar from my 3.2!
Old 01-18-2021, 12:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Should be just as easy
Found a set - paid for and inbound should be here in about a week... can’t find any YouTube audio clips on this configuration with stock exhaust hoping I don’t regret...

Boxxster you like the sound correct? So “stock exhaust” being too quiet (1) and aftermarket China or Borland being LOUD (5) these are just right when installed on factory exhaust (3)?

I want something I can still ride around neighborhood and with my wife yet know it is a sports car but not a track car... 😎
Old 01-18-2021, 02:22 PM   #14

I can't speak to how the ebay mufflers sound on their own (I've only used one in conjunction with the aforementioned bypass pipes) but on a scale of 1 (all stock) to 10 (bypass pipes plus china muffler), I would say stock muffler with bypass pipes is like a 3.

You'll see when you install them. The sound change is definitely noticeable at full throttle and/or higher revs (a slight bump in volume and some more rasp) but don't expect to have your mind blown. Totally worth it for $150 though as they also save some weight and add maybe 5-10hp. Plus you can always change the headers and/or muffler if you decide you want more.
Old 01-18-2021, 03:49 PM   #15

A word of caution - I found that the top nut on the flange between header and downpipe was WELDED ON!! This was present on both sides. This car was bone stock when I bought it and there's no way the previous owner did this, so it very well may have come from the factory like that. If that's the case, you're in for a helluva time separating those in order to install your new downpipes.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2021, 04:01 PM   #16

Mine was like that too. I just left it there and re used it!
Old 02-09-2021, 08:28 AM   #17

Warning about running those cheap China mufflers............they eventually fail. I had a TopSpeed and initially it looked great however the inside baffling was causing a rattle and I was getting this odd fiber dust all over the rear of the car. Needless to say I removed it and added a much higher quality Borla with NHP secondary cat-delete midpipes.
2001 Boxster 986 S, 6spd, arctic silver, black interior with black rear glass top, 18" staggered black powder-coated Porsche twists, aftermarket exhaust, smoked headlights and taillights, 20mm rear hubcentric billet wheel spacers, 5mm front billet wheel spacers, de-snorkled, passenger airbag switch, 997 shifter upgrade, LN engineering dual row update, Koni FSD with H&R sport springs, Joe Toth composites rear duck tail spoiler.
marcoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:49 AM   #18
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
An easy "one off" of this type of mod is to get a long drill bit and drill into the internal baffle chambers from the exhaust tips. It has the same effect only no welding required.
Nope. Nuh-uh. Not even close.

You’re referring to the “Crios mod” and it sounds nowhere near as good as the internal exhaust mod. Not only are they not even in the same class, their classes aren't even adjacent.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 01:14 AM   #19

Send a message via Skype™ to Terryg
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Nope. Nuh-uh. Not even close.

You’re referring to the “Crios mod” and it sounds nowhere near as good as the internal exhaust mod. Not only are they not even in the same class, their classes aren't even adjacent.
Particleweave is correct, I have had the Crios and the bypass (eternal pipes are more common in the UK), the Crios is a decent cheap mod but the bypass pipes (or internal mod) are much better
Terryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 06:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryg View Post
Particleweave is correct, I have had the Crios and the bypass (eternal pipes are more common in the UK), the Crios is a decent cheap mod but the bypass pipes (or internal mod) are much better
Thank you, not sure but will check a good muffler shop and see if they can modify my stock exhaust (now have a 2003 and that rear bumper might be problematic). The Brombacher Sound Version are reportedly a nice sound but pricey...

Will see what I can come up maybe just remove secondary CATS no Crios mod for now.