Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2020, 04:41 PM   #21

Garage
Any idea what the hp and torque will be on the new engine

I am at the beginning of the process, I just submitted a ticket yesterday

Cheers Bart

My Beast 2004 Boxster SE #0174
- 3.8 with all the internal goodies, Under-mount Pulley, IPD Plenum, 996 Intake, Softronic Tune, 987 Factory Sport Exhaust, skid plates, IMS solution, Ohlins R&T, RSS Toe Links, Camber Plates, Michelin Pilot Super Sport on all 4 corners, Alpine Double Din c/w new speakers & amps.

Last edited by Muskoka Minute; 12-16-2020 at 12:47 PM.
Muskoka Minute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 04:54 PM   #22

Wow, 550s seem to need more power
Old 12-16-2020, 08:01 AM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Wow, 550s seem to need more power
Everything needs more power.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 10:55 AM   #24

Sorry to be so dense but the post intrigued me so I went to the flat six website. I couldn't seem to find the "tune" that was mentioned unless I am misinterpreting. It looks like these are all complete engine rebuilds and pretty detailed at that even on the "Stocker". I assume that your air/fuel ratios and octane "tune" was part of one of the rebuild packages, correct? Thanks
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 12:28 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgkram View Post
Sorry to be so dense but the post intrigued me so I went to the flat six website. I couldn't seem to find the "tune" that was mentioned unless I am misinterpreting. It looks like these are all complete engine rebuilds and pretty detailed at that even on the "Stocker". I assume that your air/fuel ratios and octane "tune" was part of one of the rebuild packages, correct? Thanks
Hi Jgk,

Custom dyno tuning is not included in most FSI builds but it is available as an option for a build. FSI does not offer tuning for any engine that they did not build. The only exception I know of is a forum member that had his IMS Solution installed at FSI. In any case, there are no canned tunes, each car is individually tuned using its own DME download as a base, with specific requests by the customer addressed for their tunes (hp and torque profiles, fuel, other ancillary options) and in consideration of each individual’s other mods (usually intake and/or exhaust).
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 12:33 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
Everything needs more power.
Amen to that
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Old 12-16-2020, 12:50 PM   #27

Thank you Fred! I didn't realize that 10/10ths also had his engine rebuilt by Jake as well but that makes perfect sense. Sure am having fun living vicariously through you guys! Take care...
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 12:55 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgkram View Post
Thank you Fred! I didn't realize that 10/10ths also had his engine rebuilt by Jake as well but that makes perfect sense. Sure am having fun living vicariously through you guys! Take care...
You’re welcome! I don’t know if 10/10s had a complete rebuild but if I’m not mistaken FSI did have hands on his car for the IMS install and tune.

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 12-16-2020 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-17-2020, 02:51 AM   #29
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

No....

.....I did NOT have my engine rebuilt.

When I bought the car in 2015, FSI performed maintenance work in addition to complete engine builds.

They have since stopped performing regular maintenance work and only build engines for customers these days.

Since I am a previous customer, Jake is using me as a “control sample” for lack of a better term, to see how these engines wear out over time.

He was kind enough to allow me to ship my car to his shop for her five year major maintenance.

He and Lake Speed developed a new oil called GP-1 and I had been running his previously developed oil called DT40.

Jake wanted to use me as a test subject for the GP-1 and since I needed new water pump, AOS, et al, I agreed. So he dropped the sump and completely drained out all of the old oil and R&R’d all my old parts. I also needed a new fuel pump and O2 sensors and other bits. Long list of parts.

Anyway, this Boxster is used for our vacations all over North America. I need her to be absolutely reliable. So Jake replaced the crank angle sensor and all the known failure parts for me as preventative maintenance to ensure another five years of trouble free motoring.

I decided that since the car was already at his shop, and since she was getting all these new parts, I might as well have him dyno tune her while she was there. Why not? It’s only money. I can’t afford one of his badass engines like Old Car Guy, but I had enough coin for the tune and tuneup.

So that’s what happened and the car is awesome.

Not as awesome as Old Car Guy’s I’m sure, but good enough for now.

Cheers.

550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote