Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2020, 08:10 AM   #1
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Performance Tune installed.....

....WOW!!!!!!

Just got my 2004 Boxster S “50 Years of 550 Spyder Edition” back from Flat 6 Innovations.

I shipped her to Jake Raby and the team to install their performance tune.

I am just blown away by the power increase. I cannot believe how much power was hidden inside this car.

I have to totally recalibrate how I drive her now. This machine is soooo much faster at the end of the straights on my twisty roads, and she is putting down epic wheel spin coming outta 2nd gear corners now.

I wish I had this done five years ago when I bought the car.

If you folks want some easy power, just send your Box to Flat 6 Innovations have them do their magic.

Wow.

550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:44 AM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
....WOW!!!!!!

Just got my 2004 Boxster S “50 Years of 550 Spyder Edition” back from Flat 6 Innovations.

I am just blown away by the power increase. I cannot believe how much power was hidden inside this car.

I have to totally recalibrate how I drive her now. This machine is soooo much faster at the end of the straights on my twisty roads, and she is putting down epic wheel spin coming outta 2nd gear corners now.

If you folks want some easy power, just send your Box to Flat 6 Innovations have them do their magic.

Wow.

Stock engine ?
Old 11-24-2020, 09:05 AM   #3
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Yes...

Yes.

Stock engine.

Only engine mods are deleted secondary cats and the FVD Brombacher “Sound Version” muffler.

I needed new plugs and coil packs, so Flat 6 installed their “performance” ignition coils that are of their own design on top of stock plugs.

I had always thought performance tunes on a stock engine were a bunch of malarkey. But Flat 6 had always been good to me over the years and while I had the car there for some maintenance parts, water pump, A/O, coolant tank, etc., I went ahead and decided to invest in their tune.

I wish I had had them do that five years ago when I first sent it in for the IMS Solution.

I am just shocked that it really has given me that much more power. I can’t believe it.

Cheers.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:53 AM   #4

Garage
10/10ths which tune did you decide to go with?
Old 11-24-2020, 11:48 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Yes.

Stock engine.

Only engine mods are deleted secondary cats and the FVD Brombacher “Sound Version” muffler.

I needed new plugs and coil packs, so Flat 6 installed their “performance” ignition coils that are of their own design on top of stock plugs.

I had always thought performance tunes on a stock engine were a bunch of malarkey. But Flat 6 had always been good to me over the years and while I had the car there for some maintenance parts, water pump, A/O, coolant tank, etc., I went ahead and decided to invest in their tune.

I wish I had had them do that five years ago when I first sent it in for the IMS Solution.

I am just shocked that it really has given me that much more power. I can’t believe it.

Cheers.
You must live close to Flat 6.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:40 PM   #6
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Any before and after dynos?
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 03:08 PM   #7
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

No....

What would you call “close” to Flat 6?

I shipped my car to them on a flatbed.

I don’t have dyno numbers, sorry.

The tune is actually four different tunes with a hand held controller that plugs into the OBD port. I have:

93 octane performance

91 octane performance

87 octane

Fuel Economy

Those are my four choices.

I use the car as a cross-country vacation car. I drive to Colorado a lot and can only get 91 octane there.

Also, around my home area, 87 octane is all you can get in some places.

I figured this has me covered for how I use the car.

The goal was to get the air/fuel ratios right with my deleted secondary cats.

The “aggressive” tunes maximize power for that given octane fuel. It works.

The midrange bump is impressive.

Cheers.

Last edited by 10/10ths; 11-24-2020 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:31 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
What would you call “close” to Flat 6?

I shipped my car to them on a flatbed.

I don’t have dyno numbers, sorry.

The tune is actually four different tunes with a hand held controller that plugs into the OBD port. I have:

93 octane performance

91 octane performance

87 octane

Fuel Economy

Those are my four choices.

I use the car as a cross-country vacation car. I drive to Colorado a lot and can only get 91 octane there.

Also, around my home area, 87 octane is all you can get in some places.

I figured this has me covered for how I use the car.

The goal was to get the air/fuel ratios right with my deleted secondary cats.

The “aggressive” tunes maximize power for that given octane fuel. It works.

The midrange bump is impressive.

Cheers.
10/10th you can get 100 octane 1/4 mile south off kipling on Alameda Mobile gas station in Lakewood, Colorado.

4 gallons of 100 octane and the rest in 91 will get you to 93 octane

91 X 14 (Ga) = 1274
100X4 (Ga) = 400 1274 X 400 = 93 Oct

Try this formula. I believe it was posted by H2OSkier a month or so ago.
1. (Octane of fuel #1) X (# of gallons of fuel #1) = X
2. (Octane of fuel #2) X (# of gallons of fuel #2) = Y
3. X + Y = Z
4. Dividing Z by the total number of gallons of both fuels gives you your total octane number.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:00 AM   #9

I'd be curious to see what power you are making. Any plans to dyno?
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 06:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
10/10th you can get 100 octane 1/4 mile south off kipling on Alameda Mobile gas station in Lakewood, Colorado.

4 gallons of 100 octane and the rest in 91 will get you to 93 octane

91 X 14 (Ga) = 1274
100X4 (Ga) = 400 1274 X 400 = 93 Oct

Try this formula. I believe it was posted by H2OSkier a month or so ago.
1. (Octane of fuel #1) X (# of gallons of fuel #1) = X
2. (Octane of fuel #2) X (# of gallons of fuel #2) = Y
3. X + Y = Z
4. Dividing Z by the total number of gallons of both fuels gives you your total octane number.

Propane is 110 octane... hehe

I'm gonna go back to lurking now.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 01:27 AM   #11
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

No plans to dyno....

..She’s just a street car. We use her for fun drives and vacations. I’m sorry. I shipped the car to have maintenance done for reliability and the fuel tuning was simply to get the air/fuel ratio right. The performance aspect was simply a bonus and I requested the ability to change the tune to allow different fuel octane optimization because we travel all over the country in the car and I didn’t want a high performance only option and find myself out in Leadville with only 87 octane available and detonating a hole in a piston.

I’m just a working stiff and had already blown my budget on the maintenance items and stretched to find the coin for this tuning. I couldn’t afford to get fancy and have dyno plots printed of HP & Torque curves. As I said, the mission was to get the air/fuel ratio correct with my deleted secondary cats and aftermarket muffler.

I just thought I’d post my surprise and delight at the added power. I was not expecting this big of a butt dyno power boost. The driveability is night and day better and the car is faster and easier to drive faster. They should come like this from the factory. I had no idea the EPA regs forced such a docile factory tune that an aftermarket tune optimized for the proper air/fuel ratio and ignition timing to take full advantage of 93 octane gas could wake up this car to this degree. It’s amazing.

Cheers!
Old 11-26-2020, 03:06 AM   #12
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Has the throttle map been adjusted? If so that might account for some of the feeling a bit like a Sprint Booster or Sport Chrono.
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 05:44 AM   #13

Hi 10/10ths,

My 550SE is at FSI now for its 3.8L Street Performer+ build. Like you I have secondary cat delete pipes (Fabspeed) along with the Brombacher sound muffler. During my contract discussions with Jake and Jud we decided that the FSI custom dyno performance tune was worth the cost because of my modified exhaust and the 997 air box & plumbing up to the MAF. I’m doing the same four tunes as you along with Jake’s coils and a bunch of other ‘while you’re there’ stuff.

My engine cleared qualification and just entered the build phase. I’m in regular communication with Jonathan (my build coordinator) and I’m receiving pics, videos, docs, etc in the Dropbox FSI set up with me. Scheduled completion is end Dec, with Jake’s break-in service and custom dyno tune to follow. Barring any transport delays due to weather I should have the car back in mid to late Jan. Can’t wait, especially after hearing your success with the tune!

I’ll post an update when I get the car back and can take it out on dry roads.

Quote:
....WOW!!!!!!

Wow.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 11-26-2020 at 05:51 AM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:07 AM   #14

Quote:
I was not expecting this big of a butt dyno power boost. ..... It’s amazing.

Cheers!
Butt dyno's ususally mean 10-20% increase in power.

Amazing is all that counts. I typically don't dyno things unless goaded to by people I know.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
Hi 10/10ths,

My 550SE is at FSI now for its 3.8L Street Performer+ build. Like you I have secondary cat delete pipes (Fabspeed) along with the Brombacher sound muffler. During my contract discussions with Jake and Jud we decided that the FSI custom dyno performance tune was worth the cost because of my modified exhaust and the 997 air box & plumbing up to the MAF. I’m doing the same four tunes as you along with Jake’s coils and a bunch of other ‘while you’re there’ stuff.

My engine cleared qualification and just entered the build phase. I’m in regular communication with Jonathan (my build coordinator) and I’m receiving pics, videos, docs, etc in the Dropbox FSI set up with me. Scheduled completion is end Dec, with Jake’s break-in service and custom dyno tune to follow. Barring any transport delays due to weather I should have the car back in mid to late Jan. Can’t wait, especially after hearing your success with the tune!

I’ll post an update when I get the car back and can take it out on dry roads.
How does the 997 air box work in there? Your car would have come with a 987 box which is mid engine friendly and will support big power
Old 11-27-2020, 03:16 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
How does the 997 air box work in there? Your car would have come with a 987 box which is mid engine friendly and will support big power
Sorry Jaykay, typo! I meant 987 air box.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Old 11-27-2020, 05:43 AM   #17
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Old CarGuy....

....That’s awesome!!!!!

I am sooooo jealous.

I just can’t afford the engine build.

I think our cars were side by side at the shop.

We need to get together for a drive.

As far as the question about his air box, all of the 2004 550 Special Edition cars were built at the end of the 986 production run and they actually have the 987 airbox installed in them from the factory.

OldCarGuy, please keep us updated.
Old 11-27-2020, 06:17 AM   #18

Quote:
....That’s awesome!!!!!

I am sooooo jealous.

I just can’t afford the engine build.

I think our cars were side by side at the shop.

We need to get together for a drive.

As far as the question about his air box, all of the 2004 550 Special Edition cars were built at the end of the 986 production run and they actually have the 987 airbox installed in them from the factory.

OldCarGuy, please keep us updated.
We definitely need to meet up for a drive next season. Did you see the pic Jake posted on FB? I’m on the far left.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-2020, 12:48 PM   #19
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Yes....

.....Mine is the one on the far right, completely parked on the grass.

Cheers!
Old 11-27-2020, 01:29 PM   #20

Well at least our 550s were able to meet in person

Quote:
.....Mine is the one on the far right, completely parked on the grass.

Cheers!