Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2006, 02:33 PM   #1

2nd gear 60mph clutch slip?

hi, i was wondering how fast a 2.5 boxter should be going in 2nd gear at red line? i'm thinking my clutch might be slipping in the higher rpms, the tires will chirp at a red line shift from 1st to 2nd but but it kind of feels like its slipping in the higher rpms. does anyone have a breakdown of what the top speed is in each gear at redline???

yfz/700R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 02:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yfz/700R
hi, i was wondering how fast a 2.5 boxter should be going in 2nd gear at red line? i'm thinking my clutch might be slipping in the higher rpms, the tires will chirp at a red line shift from 1st to 2nd but but it kind of feels like its slipping in the higher rpms. does anyone have a breakdown of what the top speed is in each gear at redline???
Hi,

I'm not sure that chirping the Tires on a 1/2 shift at Redline is gonna make the Top Ten on the How to Preserve and Prolong the Clutch list...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 02:48 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
The maximum speed you should be in each gear is listed in the car manual.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:51 PM   #4
blkboxster

here you go,
the info is from road and track for the 2.5
1st 38mph (6600)rpm
2nd 61,mph (6600)rpm
3rd 91 mph (6600)rpm
4th 128mph (6600)rpm
5th 149 mph (6085)rpm
Old 10-20-2006, 02:53 PM   #5

I have always tested clutch "grab" by putting the car in top gear.... ie 5th or 6th depending on your car at about 25 mph and pressing the accelerator to the floor.
This will show if your clutch slips or not. Watch the rpms and the mph needle they should climb together at the same rate. If the clutch is going to slip, you will know it.
The rpms will jump up and the car will not accelerate.

Best of luck...

By the way, I get over 72 mph out of second in my car???
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 02:57 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDIOGUY
I have always tested clutch "grab" by putting the car in top gear.... ie 5th or 6th depending on your car at about 25 mph and pressing the accelerator to the floor.
This will show if your clutch slips or not. Watch the rpms and the mph needle they should climb together at the same rate. If the clutch is going to slip, you will know it.
The rpms will jump up and the car will not accelerate.

Best of luck...

By the way, I get over 72 mph out of second in my car???
you sure your digital MPH isnt set to KPH

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 03:09 PM   #7

thanks for the quick replies, audioguy thanks i will try that. mnboxter they do it on their own, i just shift really quick
Old 10-20-2006, 03:30 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
thanks for the quick replies, audioguy thanks i will try that. mnboxter they do it on their own, i just shift really quick
You speed shifting, I use to do that in my Eclipse GST. It really does a number on your syncro's. Try not to do that too much. I cant even shift moderatly fast from 1st to 2nd in the 6000 rpm range without the syncro's grinding. Other gears dont grind.

Im going to try changing the gear oil with Royal Purple 75w-90 and hopefully it'll help some...Im hoping my gear oil is pretty old and the new gear oil will cure some of the grinding.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 03:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
You speed shifting, I use to do that in my Eclipse GST. It really does a number on your syncro's. Try not to do that too much. I cant even shift moderatly fast from 1st to 2nd in the 6000 rpm range without the syncro's grinding. Other gears dont grind.

Im going to try changing the gear oil with Royal Purple 75w-90 and hopefully it'll help some...Im hoping my gear oil is pretty old and the new gear oil will cure some of the grinding.
i thought speed shifting was shifting without letting up on the gas? i do let off the gas completely. on a side note, i have a sand rail with a 2.0 turbo subaru putting out 227hp to the wheels on 33'' sand paddles and i'm running an 091 vw bus box, one would think the tranny in a porsche would hold up to quick shifting.
thanks for the info though, i didnt know the boxters had weak trannies
Old 10-20-2006, 04:03 PM   #10
blkboxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
you sure your digital MPH isnt set to KPH
how do you get 72mph in 2nd the max ive gotten is 61mph.i know you have a 2.5 but what other mods do you have either then the desnorkel?
Old 10-20-2006, 04:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkboxster
how do you get 72mph in 2nd the max ive gotten is 61mph.i know you have a 2.5 but what other mods do you have either then the desnorkel?
is that 61mph on your digital speedo or is that after you subtract the +4 mph that most digital boxter speedos read?
i know before i bought my 2.5 i test drove a 2000 3.2 ''S'' and the digital speedo read 67mph in second @ redline

Last edited by yfz/700R; 10-20-2006 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:32 PM   #12
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
My 2.7 does 72 indicated in second...
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 02:13 PM   #13
blkboxster

well today when i was driving i got up to 65mph in 2nd gear.so you guys may be right.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:22 PM   #14

Definately get over 70 mph in 2nd according to the dig. read on the speedo. I cannot vouch for the actual speed as I havent ever checked the calibration of the speedo. I think it is probably about + 3 to 5 mph. My prior M Roadster burried in the rpms would get about 63 to 64 mph.. 2nd in the Box seems a little bit taller.
Anyway, I dont recommend redlining second all day, but it does have a certain fun factor!

AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote