Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2020, 07:16 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 70
Garage
Engine removal

I will be replacing an engine (again, don't ask) and would like some input.
I have a 2-post lift and the last time I used a friend's hydraulic lift table. The shortcoming is that it only goes up a little over two feet and it's capacity is only 500 pounds.
This time, I would like to take the engine and trans out as a unit.
What are you using to do this?
Thanks!

__________________
A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin.
-H. L. Mencken
Newsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:51 AM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker
 
78F350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,594
Garage
I'm cheap. I use a HF motorcycle jack with a 3/4" plywood bed and some scrap 2x4 pieces for shoring. I have a rolling jack that I use for adjusting tilt and correcting balance as it comes down and away from the car. It is not optimal, but for slow and incremental drop/lift of the drivetrain it works.

Remove the handle:
__________________
I am not an attorney, mechanic, or member of the clergy. Following any advice given in my posts is done at your own peril.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:16 AM   #3
Who's askin'?
 
maytag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I'm cheap. I use a HF motorcycle jack with a 3/4" plywood bed and some scrap 2x4 pieces for shoring. I have a rolling jack that I use for adjusting tilt and correcting balance as it comes down and away from the car. It is not optimal, but for slow and incremental drop/lift of the drivetrain it works.

Remove the handle:
same method I use. Once I had a friend loan me some fancy-schmancy tools that support the engine from a crossbeam across the opening..... I didn't use them.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:18 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 70
Garage
Great! That's a lot better than their table lift at $229.
It just isn't very high, but having that much weight a lot higher might be a problem anyway.
Thank you.
__________________
A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin.
-H. L. Mencken
Newsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:38 AM   #5
Motorist & Coffee Drinker
 
78F350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,594
Garage
If you need it a little more height, consider some 4x4" or similar wood blocks. I keep some around the garage that are 8" to 24" long and they come in handy for lots of things Once you lower the jack, you can pull them out to lower the engine further.
__________________
I am not an attorney, mechanic, or member of the clergy. Following any advice given in my posts is done at your own peril.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:27 AM   #6
Who's askin'?
 
maytag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
If you need it a little more height, consider some 4x4" or similar wood blocks. I keep some around the garage that are 8" to 24" long and they come in handy for lots of things Once you lower the jack, you can pull them out to lower the engine further.
Once again; "Ditto".
I bet our garages look a lot alike! haha (Except I have fewer Boxsters than you do )
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 12:50 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Clifton, NJ
Posts: 897
I've done it on a 2 post and a scissor lift, both with the 1000lb harbor freight lift table. You seem to dislike yours, but for me it was the absolute best purchase ever.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:37 PM   #8
Artist, 986S tinkerer
 
NewArt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 1,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
same method I use. Once I had a friend loan me some fancy-schmancy tools that support the engine from a crossbeam across the opening..... I didn't use them.
I actually have that cross beam and have used it when dropping an engine. I find it quite useful for supporting and maintaining the balance of the engine/trans. Wouldn't it be great if we all lived in the same region: we could borrow and swap tools all the time. I have way too many tools!
__________________
James
2004 986 S
987 air intake TB and plenum, Mantissport 2 litre sump, UDP, Bilstein B6 with H&R lowering spings, re71-rs for track, other stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/user/12shoes2
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 06:26 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Qingdao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Charleston
Posts: 212
I used a HF engine lift with a long chain. Hooked the engine from the top and lowered it to a creeper on the floor. Longer boom might have helped but the cheapo hoist did the trick.



^^^looks closer to the side of the car than it is.
__________________
'99 engineless Base boxster
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:22 PM   #10
Motorist & Coffee Drinker
 
78F350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,594
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Once again; "Ditto".
I bet our garages look a lot alike! haha (Except I have fewer Boxsters than you do )
I hope that your garage is bigger than mine and a lot less cluttered. I expect that Ferrari needs some personal space.
__________________
I am not an attorney, mechanic, or member of the clergy. Following any advice given in my posts is done at your own peril.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 03:54 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bastrop, Tx
Posts: 2,412
I've used a floor jack, I've used a motorcycle jack and I've used a table jack to remove a motor and transmission out of a 986 and 996. Hands down the table jack is far better than the other two.
__________________
Woody
itsnotanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 03:28 PM   #12
Will there be cake?
 
tonythetiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: East Coast
Posts: 474
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsguy View Post
I will be replacing an engine (again, don't ask) and would like some input.
I have a 2-post lift and the last time I used a friend's hydraulic lift table. The shortcoming is that it only goes up a little over two feet and it's capacity is only 500 pounds.
This time, I would like to take the engine and trans out as a unit.
What are you using to do this?
Thanks!
well, now I gotta to ask...why are you replacing an engine again?
come forth
:+)
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 02:52 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
I've used a floor jack, I've used a motorcycle jack and I've used a table jack to remove a motor and transmission out of a 986 and 996. Hands down the table jack is far better than the other two.
I combined a table jack along with the support from an adjustable homemade cross beam and it's pretty stable specially when you don't have a helper
.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 05:05 AM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 70
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
well, now I gotta to ask...why are you replacing an engine again?
come forth
:+)
The first one had an intermix problem.

__________________
A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin.
-H. L. Mencken
Newsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page