Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2006, 01:40 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
How about the bars without the springs and shocks??

I'm going to give my car the RoW 030 kit.....in time. Unfortunately to I don't have the funds at the moment for the full kit.

Would there be a benefit to adding the front and rear sway bars/bushings from the RoW before the shocks and springs?

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the M030 and RoW 030 suspensions share the same sway bars?

Old 10-17-2006, 05:46 AM   #2

Are you autocrossing or doing other driving events? If you aren't than might I suggest spending it on something cooler for looks and/or sound?

I'm not saying that it would be a waste of money, but unless you are pushing your car to the limits I think suspension mods would hardly be noticeable other than maybe a harsher ride. The bottom line is these cars handle awesome and unless you need that extra bit of stiffness for racing I just don't think you would be happy with the results (unless you like the harsh ride of a stiff suspension).

If you are racing please let me know how your mods work out.

In my case I'm considering a bunch of mods to try and make my car faster and handle better and frankly I'm coming up empty in terms of bang for my buck. A little here and a little there might help a little, but I then will be moving to a different race class. I'm thinking of saving my money and putting it into stereo and overall looks. I sure do like the clear headlights and the GT3 bumpers!
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 07:55 AM   #3

the M030 is awesome. i did the upgrade in phases; i started with the sway bars and followed up with the springs. the sways (particularly the rear) make the biggest difference. it's not a waste of money at all.

i'd go ahead with the sways now; install the rest when you can.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:04 PM   #4

just be careful,

I added the M030 sway bars before I added the coil overs

the main result I noticed from the sways is it makes the car go more neutral, and the back end gets much looser.

Right after I put em on, I took her for a spin, and damn near DID spin!

But I needed new tires too!
Evo Intake
Partial Carbon Interior
Black Leather Sport seats
M030 Sway Bars
Litronics w/ Clear Corners
Boxster S brakes
B&M Short Shifter
PnP rear Speakers + Amp
pecivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 06:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
Are you autocrossing or doing other driving events? If you aren't than might I suggest spending it on something cooler for looks and/or sound?

I'm not saying that it would be a waste of money, but unless you are pushing your car to the limits I think suspension mods would hardly be noticeable other than maybe a harsher ride. The bottom line is these cars handle awesome and unless you need that extra bit of stiffness for racing I just don't think you would be happy with the results (unless you like the harsh ride of a stiff suspension).

If you are racing please let me know how your mods work out.

In my case I'm considering a bunch of mods to try and make my car faster and handle better and frankly I'm coming up empty in terms of bang for my buck. A little here and a little there might help a little, but I then will be moving to a different race class. I'm thinking of saving my money and putting it into stereo and overall looks. I sure do like the clear headlights and the GT3 bumpers!

Hi,

I agree. Porsche gave the car some Bias and Understeer to make it practical on the Street. And, most suspension upgrades will harshen Ride Quality to whatever extent. This hashness can get old, maybe not for you, but especially for passengers of the Female pursuasion.

If you neutralize it too much, it can rear up and bite you when you least expect it. I don't want a neutral car on the Street, I want it more predictable, I think it's safer. I have adjustable lower links on my Esprit for the Track, but afterward, I reinstall the OEM ones to reestablish the Street Ride...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 06:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecivil
just be careful,

I added the M030 sway bars before I added the coil overs

the main result I noticed from the sways is it makes the car go more neutral, and the back end gets much looser.

Right after I put em on, I took her for a spin, and damn near DID spin!

But I needed new tires too!
i agree completely with the looser back end assessment. that's one of the reasons i installed the system. the car had a strong tendancy to push in the corners; the M030 cured that completely. i personally prefer the M030 set-up, but i can see how some would prefer a bit more understeer....i did have to play with the tire pressures a bit to get it dialed in just right; the factory 28/36 doesn't cut it with the M030; way too tail happy. 30/32 seems perfect to me.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 07:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by insite
i agree completely with the looser back end assessment. that's one of the reasons i installed the system. the car had a strong tendancy to push in the corners; the M030 cured that completely. i personally prefer the M030 set-up, but i can see how some would prefer a bit more understeer....i did have to play with the tire pressures a bit to get it dialed in just right; the factory 28/36 doesn't cut it with the M030; way too tail happy. 30/32 seems perfect to me.
30/32 (F/R) worked for you (I'm assuming this is for the track, if not, please ignore my comments)? Have you ever tried higher pressures? I have found that 36/38 works great for me. It keeps the front end planted and makes the rear predictable without fear of losing it. If I bump up the front it starts to push too much. If I used lower pressure I find that I lose overall grip.

I'm running 17" Victoracers and found that when I ran my 18" Goodyear F1's on the track, the successful pressures were very similar. Also note that my events are autocrosses and not driving events so my "hot" pressures are not going to increase that much.

BTW - I run the stock pressures on the street, but I drive like a wuss on the street due to a fear of spinning out and hitting something/someone.

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote