Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2020, 05:49 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Florida
Posts: 28
Top Down, 1-95 in Palm Beach... Cough Cough - Codes, Rough Idle, Erie Rattle

Sudden Check Engine Light, Codes, Rough Idle & Rattle Sound! What do you think is going on?

1999 Boxster 55,000 miles, mint condition as of last week

Codes from my blue tooth reader are...

P117 - Mass air flow sensor? or O2?
P1121 - Throttle posisiton sensor?
P0140 - O2 Sensor (Bank 1, Sensor 2)
P0304 - Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected


Last edited by 986Eve; 05-31-2020 at 09:26 AM.
986Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:38 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Florida
Posts: 28
HELP? Kindly, spoon feeding is okay. Really, I need all the advice I can get. The o2 sensor code was existing. My main concern is piston 4 is damaged and compression has failed causing a lack of power. Hoping to follow the leader on this one...
986Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:58 AM   #3
Registered User
 
husker boxster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 2,367
Pull the #4 plug and check its condition. If it's fouled, clean it up and replace. Swap the coil to another cyl. Clear the codes. Start it up and see if the misfire is still there. Check the codes. If the misfire code has moved to the cyl with the #4 coil now on it, you've got a coil issue. If the misfire is still on cyl #4, you've got either a bad plug or bigger issues.
__________________
PCA National HPDE Instructor
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 12:06 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Florida
Posts: 28
Thank you Husker - I'll take a look. And update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
Pull the #4 plug and check its condition. If it's fouled, clean it up and replace. Swap the coil to another cyl. Clear the codes. Start it up and see if the misfire is still there. Check the codes. If the misfire code has moved to the cyl with the #4 coil now on it, you've got a coil issue. If the misfire is still on cyl #4, you've got either a bad plug or bigger issues.
986Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 05:19 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Florida
Posts: 28
Be nice if they put an access door... aka.. hood with this model. Will investigate tomorrow
986Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:59 PM   #6
1999 base
 
Meir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Coral Springs FL
Posts: 1,593
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Eve View Post
Be nice if they put an access door... aka.. hood with this model. Will investigate tomorrow
They do. But anyway, you access the spark plugs from the wheel well.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 03:56 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Florida
Posts: 28
(I forgot to swap the coil pack so I'll do that here tonight or tomorrow morning and update)

Changed the plug. I put a new cheap autolight double platinum.

She still coughs. Less coughing, but quite bad. Actually throws the car around quite a bit. I don't think it's derivable out of second gear.
New codes...
P0300
P0304
P0305
P0306

Please advise. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I have the nicest little blonde that I can call the moment this car is derivable. And no, I can't show up in a rental.

Last edited by 986Eve; 05-27-2020 at 04:00 PM.
986Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:42 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 290
Maybe its bad fuel,check fuel filter for moisture.??
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:56 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Woodland Wa
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Eve View Post
(I forgot to swap the coil pack so I'll do that here tonight or tomorrow morning and update)

Changed the plug. I put a new cheap autolight double platinum.

She still coughs. Less coughing, but quite bad. Actually throws the car around quite a bit. I don't think it's derivable out of second gear.
New codes...
P0300
P0304
P0305
P0306

Please advise. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I have the nicest little blonde that I can call the moment this car is derivable. And no, I can't show up in a rental.
All misfire codes on the same bank.
P0300 is a general misfire code that is telling you the misfires are strong enough to damage the Cat.
the other three codes are the individual cylinders on the same bank.

So you have an issue that is affecting one bank only.
So not a fuel problem
not a vacuum leak
most likely not 3 bad plugs all at once. although it could happen.
most likely not 3 bad coils all at once . although it could happen.

possibly an electrical problem in the wiring to the fuel injectors for that bank

you need to look for something that would affect all three cylinders on that one bank.
But doesn't affect the other bank.

In your first post you mentioned a metallic rattle.
There could be internal problems on that bank with the cam timing.
You Could have a failed variocam actuator or failed actuator pad.
or chain tensioner issues. I think they have a wear pad as well but not positive.
any of the cam chain issues mentioned can create slack in the chain and throw cam timing off creating misfires.
A compression test on that bank may tell you if your cam timing is off.
A leak down test would be better.

The O2 sensor code in your first post is telling you (if I am reading things correctly. I mess up sometimes)
that DME is not getting a signal from the O2 sensor.

P1121 is your throttle position sensor
could be a shot sensor.
could be a problem with the wiring to the sensor.

The P117 code in your first post?
Sorry I believe all OBDII codes are 4 digit. But I could be wrong!!!
So I have no info on that one.

Last edited by blue62; 05-27-2020 at 07:07 PM.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:48 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Florida
Posts: 28
Thank you Blue62 for the thoughts. I appreciate your knowledge.

Logically, it seemed like bad fuel. Mechanically this car has run perfect. Like new and has been babied.

The odd part is the sudden change in performance the moment the new fuel was added.

Gonna swap the coil and see whats up - will update here in a bit.
986Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:40 AM   #11
Registered User
 
husker boxster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 2,367
Since you now have codes for all 3 cyl on bank 2, swapping a coil on the same side will not prove anything. You'll need to swap it to bank 1 for an effective test. Clean up the plug you took out and put it back in the original cyl you took it out of. It sounds like you just threw a random spark plug into your car and that's not good.

Bad gas would not selectively choose to foul just bank 2 cyls.
__________________
PCA National HPDE Instructor
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:47 AM   #12
1998 Boxster Silver/Red
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: 92262
Posts: 1,851
"... an access door...".

"... cheap autolight double platinum..."

"... has been babied".

That doesn't reconcile. You say the car has been babied... yet you don't know how to access the spark plugs? The car hasn't been babied if you don't know how to reach its heart (engine).

Cheap autolite...? There's a difference between cheap and inexpensive. You don't go cheap with a baby.

You say you will "investigate". You might consider doing some reading... get to know your car better. I would recommend The 101 Projects book (that will be a big help, and will mitigate the "mystery" of our cars. Also... pick up the service manual.)

Finally... read every new post that pops up in this, the best, 986 forum. So many wise minds are resident here. In a year you'll be upon these pages answering newbie questions Yup).

Pics. Post pics.
__________________
1998 Porsche Boxster
1986 BMW 325es
2012 Ford Edge Sport

"Ignore the guilt, and take your turn"
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 05:15 AM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Florida
Posts: 28
Ummm... Starter Bro I bought the car 5 thousand miles ago. I get laid. I also learned that criticizing is a great way to alienate people. Something tells me you haven't read How to Win Friends and Influence people. Respectfully, I'm too busy keeping the really hot women of Palm Beach happy to read every post. I'd rather ask an expert and not reinvent the wheel.

I'm hoping the wit and wisdom of other men that actually get pussy will help me out... and some divine intervention would be appreciated as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
"... an access door...".

"... cheap autolight double platinum..."

"... has been babied".

That doesn't reconcile. You say the car has been babied... yet you don't know how to access the spark plugs? The car hasn't been babied if you don't know how to reach its heart (engine).

Cheap autolite...? There's a difference between cheap and inexpensive. You don't go cheap with a baby.

You say you will "investigate". You might consider doing some reading... get to know your car better. I would recommend The 101 Projects book (that will be a big help, and will mitigate the "mystery" of our cars. Also... pick up the service manual.)

Finally... read every new post that pops up in this, the best, 986 forum. So many wise minds are resident here. In a year you'll be upon these pages answering newbie questions Yup).

Pics. Post pics.
986Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 05:24 AM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Florida
Posts: 28
You da man Husker. Thank you. I thought about this when swapped 4 to 6 - the coil.

So an hour ago I swap the coil from 4 to 6 and she is worse. Same condition as the original but now the check engine light flashes continuously.

Using Touque Lite I have no current codes driving around the block twice.

Pending Codes are...

P1319
P1318
P1316
P1317

In that order.

I will clean up the original plug back in. It looks good. I plan to put all new premium plugs in due time.

I will swap the coil to the other side in an hour or so.

I have Torque Light and Scan Master Pro is not connecting. Are there other features to this app to help diagnose the issue?

There is a possibility - very small that I put the wrong gas in. That pump has 3 handles... 6 buttons and it's hot as hell. I even checked the receipt, and I'm fairly certain I bought premium. It's worth noting. If it was easy, i would drain every drop of fuel to eliminate that possibility.

Kindly - check out this link... https://www.renntech.org/topic/32676-p1316-p1317-p1318-p1319/

This guy changed the MAF, the air intake tube looked loose on the throttle body. After wriggling it around he found it to be disconnected. Should I clean the MAF and inspect the air intake tube on the throttle body?

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
Since you now have codes for all 3 cyl on bank 2, swapping a coil on the same side will not prove anything. You'll need to swap it to bank 1 for an effective test. Clean up the plug you took out and put it back in the original cyl you took it out of. It sounds like you just threw a random spark plug into your car and that's not good.

Bad gas would not selectively choose to foul just bank 2 cyls.

Last edited by 986Eve; 05-28-2020 at 05:34 AM.
986Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 05:34 AM   #15
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6
 
paulofto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Posts: 1,090
Garage
Okay, I held back long enough. If ‘getting pussy’ is your motivation for getting your car fixed I think you have bigger issues than throwing CEL codes.

Listen to guys like Starter986, blue62 and anyone else willing to steer you in the right direction, but the idea of You doing some research here is the right idea. Having someone else do your home work for you will never get you the knowledge you need to correct the litany of problems your car is exhibiting.

Chasing pussy is one thing, being one is a whole other issue.

BTW, repeatedly telling everyone how often you get laid grows tiresome very fast. This may be news to you but everyone has sex. Some of us just have better discretion about when and where we discuss it.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 05:59 AM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Florida
Posts: 28
Umm... I'm on an island. In paradise. This is end game. That's all I need the car for...

I've obviously done some research... and I've owned a **************** load of F-150s with 5.4 3 valves. I'm not a douche. The problem is douchy.

Politely, no... most dudes don't get hot pussy. And that is probably why the man is arguing and criticizing. And yes this car is one of those in Paradise with that girl that everyone wants. It's not chasing pussy, it's attracting pussy and showing men how it's done. And Yes, that is quite important.

Respectfully, what the fuk else is the car used for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
Okay, I held back long enough. If ‘getting pussy’ is your motivation for getting your car fixed I think you have bigger issues than throwing CEL codes.

Listen to guys like Starter986, blue62 and anyone else willing to steer you in the right direction, but the idea of You doing some research here is the right idea. Having someone else do your home work for you will never get you the knowledge you need to correct the litany of problems your car is exhibiting.

Chasing pussy is one thing, being one is a whole other issue.

BTW, repeatedly telling everyone how often you get laid grows tiresome very fast. This may be news to you but everyone has sex. Some of us just have better discretion about when and where we discuss it.

Last edited by 986Eve; 05-28-2020 at 06:12 AM.
986Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:36 AM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Clifton, NJ
Posts: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
Okay, I held back long enough. If ‘getting pussy’ is your motivation for getting your car fixed I think you have bigger issues than throwing CEL codes.

Listen to guys like Starter986, blue62 and anyone else willing to steer you in the right direction, but the idea of You doing some research here is the right idea. Having someone else do your home work for you will never get you the knowledge you need to correct the litany of problems your car is exhibiting.

Chasing pussy is one thing, being one is a whole other issue.

BTW, repeatedly telling everyone how often you get laid grows tiresome very fast. This may be news to you but everyone has sex. Some of us just have better discretion about when and where we discuss it.
thank god someone else said it.

And why does this guy think that his $5,000 20 year old boxster is impressing anyone?
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:37 AM   #18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Clifton, NJ
Posts: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Eve View Post
Umm... I'm on an island. In paradise. This is end game. That's all I need the car for...

I've obviously done some research... and I've owned a **************** load of F-150s with 5.4 3 valves. I'm not a douche. The problem is douchy.

Politely, no... most dudes don't get hot pussy. And that is probably why the man is arguing and criticizing. And yes this car is one of those in Paradise with that girl that everyone wants. It's not chasing pussy, it's attracting pussy and showing men how it's done. And Yes, that is quite important.

Respectfully, what the fuk else is the car used for?
well this is pathetic.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:35 AM   #19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Woodland Wa
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Eve View Post
You da man Husker. Thank you. I thought about this when swapped 4 to 6 - the coil.

So an hour ago I swap the coil from 4 to 6 and she is worse. Same condition as the original but now the check engine light flashes continuously.

Using Touque Lite I have no current codes driving around the block twice.

Pending Codes are...

P1319
P1318
P1316
P1317

In that order.

I will clean up the original plug back in. It looks good. I plan to put all new premium plugs in due time.

I will swap the coil to the other side in an hour or so.

I have Torque Light and Scan Master Pro is not connecting. Are there other features to this app to help diagnose the issue?

There is a possibility - very small that I put the wrong gas in. That pump has 3 handles... 6 buttons and it's hot as hell. I even checked the receipt, and I'm fairly certain I bought premium. It's worth noting. If it was easy, i would drain every drop of fuel to eliminate that possibility.

Kindly - check out this link... https://www.renntech.org/topic/32676-p1316-p1317-p1318-p1319/

This guy changed the MAF, the air intake tube looked loose on the throttle body. After wriggling it around he found it to be disconnected. Should I clean the MAF and inspect the air intake tube on the throttle body?
The pending codes are telling you the same thing the other codes told you.
You have misfires on all 3 cylinders of one bank.
The misfires are damaging to the CAT.

Bad fuel will affect all 6 cylinders not just 3 on the same side so it is not bad fuel.
Same with the MAF its not the MAF leave it alone
Same with the air intake tube its not the air intake tube leave it alone.
It is some thing that affects just one bank one the engine.

If you drained the fuel and changed it or cleaned or changed the MAF
Or this or that with the throttle body or air tube.
You would be doing things that are most likely not related to the problem.
A lot of wasted time, wasted money, and the possibility of creating further unrelated problems.
And doing nothing to fix the current misfire problem.

You said in your first post that you have fair mechanical ability.
This is not a slam on you BUT
you are not following the simplest most basic diagnostic procedures.

Last edited by blue62; 05-28-2020 at 07:44 AM.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:10 AM   #20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Florida
Posts: 28
You are welcome.


Last edited by 986Eve; 05-31-2020 at 09:53 AM.
986Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page