Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2020, 06:01 PM   #1

Garage
A/C compressor not getting power

I have a '97 Boxster. The A/C is not working. I took it in to have the system properly charged, but it still does not work. The mechanic said that the compressor is not getting any power to it. He said there are no error codes and ll the fuses look good. I have an appointment for him to do a deeper dig, but was hoping to be able to identify the problem myself.

Any suggestions where to start?

s a side not neither of my key fobs work, I have tried all the tips and trick and cannot get them to work. I am not sure if this is tied to it at all. I do have an aftermarket radio and have had a car audio place ensure it is all installed correctly so I am not messing anything up there.

Any help would be much appreciated.

SpenceBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:41 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpenceBoxster View Post
I have a '97 Boxster. The A/C is not working. I took it in to have the system properly charged, but it still does not work. The mechanic said that the compressor is not getting any power to it. He said there are no error codes and ll the fuses look good. I have an appointment for him to do a deeper dig, but was hoping to be able to identify the problem myself.

s a side not neither of my key fobs work, I have tried all the tips and trick and cannot get them to work. I am not sure if this is tied to it at all. I do have an aftermarket radio and have had a car audio place ensure it is all installed correctly so I am not messing anything up there.

Your mechanic says the fuses look good!
That doesn't tell you much.
Is there power to the proper fuse?
If not you have to find out why not.
If there is power to the proper fuse.
Then is there power to the A/C switch?
If not you have to find out why not.
And on and on and on.
You have to trace the power from the power source (Battery).
To the end source (Compressor).
Could be a faulty switch, wiring, connection, relay, fuse, ground.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpenceBoxster View Post

The AC system has two "safety" switches that prevent power from being applied to the compressor clutch;, both are pressure switches, one for too high gas pressure, the second for too low gas pressure. Most likely, one of these is engaged. Start by running a system pressure test.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:41 AM   #4

A quick test is at the trinary switch see if there is power there. It has 4 wires.
One low pressure /high pressure /12v live and power out to ac clutch.
With switch on and engine running see if you have 12v at trinary if yes then as stated pressure is to high/low if no work backwards

Blue99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioning