Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2020, 12:58 PM   #41
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
If you are talking about the very top of the strut, with the 3 threaded rods pointing up that go through the slots and bolted on top with the 3 nuts, no, it is metal to metal there both with the OEM strut tops and also the various aftermarket versions.
there was a rubber lip on on the stock stuff, but if my stuff is OK, metal to metal, Im gpiong with it.

tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:35 PM   #42

I'm very happy I found this thread because just yesterday I went to check my tire pressures and seen a 360 degree wet circle in my front right fender plastic coming off the inside of the tire.

So I took off the tire and thought it was break fluid at first but finally figured out it was coming from the round plate the bottom of the strut spring sits in.That area was full of shock oil and running down to everything below then finally ending up on my inner tire throwing it out to the fender well.

I'm just like you Tony in that I only drive a little spirited around town and that's it.So I'm looking myself for something better than stock but keeps the same height and rides smooth as glass.
Side skirts / Bought from original owner
99Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 04:43 PM   #43
Will there be cake?

Garage
considering new coilovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Roadster View Post
I'm very happy I found this thread because just yesterday I went to check my tire pressures and seen a 360 degree wet circle in my front right fender plastic coming off the inside of the tire.

So I took off the tire and thought it was break fluid at first but finally figured out it was coming from the round plate the bottom of the strut spring sits in.That area was full of shock oil and running down to everything below then finally ending up on my inner tire throwing it out to the fender well.

I'm just like you Tony in that I only drive a little spirited around town and that's it.So I'm looking myself for something better than stock but keeps the same height and rides smooth as glass.

So far, the yellowspeed have been great. They aren’t anything special, but well priced, all one unit and easy to install. The take a couple of weeks to get (they are built on demand from China) but no complaints. The springs are a little softer then race shocks, making them more street friendly but made a huge difference in ride. You might need some of the links and arms replaced also, it’s tough to tell when they are worn as they seem fine until you do new ones. I sourced meyle and TRW stuff all around, replacing everything and it made the entire car tight and responsive. No clunks. There are kits out there for front and back at 1100 bucks or so if you shop it. All told, this was about 2200 (maybe a touch more) dollars but it’s done and I’m really happy. It takes some muscle and it’s a little scary, but you can do it. Glad to share experience with you to use on top of the YouTube videos out there. The videos are great, I’m thankful for them but some of those guys make it harder then it has to be. And watching people take a hammer to the suspension parts just ain’t right. I didn’t have to pound on anything.
You need a ball joint separator, a long pry bar, some in between wrenches, like 18mm. Impact torx and hex sockets. You’ll break cheap ones. Breaker bar and a 1/2 torque wrench. I used a big punch to help line up the holes on suspension parts also, plus a little floor jack is handy to hold and raise suspension without muscling your large floor jack around.

Argh, I talk to much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by tonythetiger; 06-16-2020 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:37 PM   #44
Will there be cake?

Garage
went out today on a fast road

So Ive had the suspension and the coilovers in for a few days now, and today had the chance to get out on a fast road. I took the car up near 100 and it glides like glass. I used to get a mild shake/shimmy above 70. Happy to report that is gone.
I replaced everything in the front suspension and steering, (rear suspension was done last year, because I had a low speed clunk.) but haven't had the alignment done yet.
I think Im pretty close just using my tape measure, and today is proof.
Old 09-14-2020, 01:32 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
So Ive had the suspension and the coilovers in for a few days now, and today had the chance to get out on a fast road. I took the car up near 100 and it glides like glass. I used to get a mild shake/shimmy above 70. Happy to report that is gone.
I replaced everything in the front suspension and steering, (rear suspension was done last year, because I had a low speed clunk.) but haven't had the alignment done yet.
I think Im pretty close just using my tape measure, and today is proof.
After 3 months how's it feel? A good solution for a daily driven car that also doubles as fun car in the canyons every now and again?
beater986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:19 AM   #46
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by beater986 View Post
After 3 months how's it feel? A good solution for a daily driven car that also doubles as fun car in the canyons every now and again?
dont think I could be happier. these are tight and reduce bodyroll in hard turns while very civilized over the bumps. I dropped the car about an inch and havent experienced any issues over the speedbumps in my neighborhood either. Cant compare these to other coilovers without trying them. that said, no regrets. They are also really good looking, when i show the car off, folks comment on them. :+)
Old 03-21-2021, 07:12 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
Pulled the rear struts moments ago and looking at them side by side. The new strut is MUCH shorter and doesn't have the mounts for my antilock brake sensor and brake wear indicator wires. The strut didnt stick out the bottom like the fronts...this is wrong!
reviewing ECSY post earlier in this thread (he bought the same coilovers) calms my nerves a little as he shows his rear and the new side-by-side and they look the same, but what about the wires?

Sanity check?

Attachment 22398

hi , so what did you do with your wires etc , bracket is there from fronts , but nothing for rears ??
minimark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 12:43 PM   #48

I've just upgraded to their Clubsport version. Really happy with them.
Escy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 07:32 AM   #49

Just finally got around to installing my YSR coilovers and they ride very nice.....I put the fronts on last year which was very easy compared to the rears but I got'er done.
Everything looks good except I couldn't get the rear camber angle very straight but after some searching I found out that on racing type cars you want to have a negative camber on the rear tires anyway so it looks like I'm GTG.

Side skirts / Bought from original owner
99Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote