Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2023, 08:27 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert986 View Post
Thatīs not the way to do it.
What you actually need is a new MAF-table for the larger MAF-tube, thus the DME can understand the MAF-signal again. Then if you really want you may map it on the rolling road, but I think the DME will manage this by itīs own with such small changes.

My tuner made me a new MAF-table just for this, you may inbox me for contact info to my tuner, Iīm sure he can help you with this table.
Thank you very much.
I will pm you
Cheers

Nitro V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 10:05 AM   #62

the only real difference with the SE tune is the maf table to compensate for the larger tube. dunno what the tuner charges but it's a 15 minute job for anyone with a pst2. but you need the programming codes. not sure if tuners require these codes to get in.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 04:29 PM   #63

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
the only real difference with the SE tune is the maf table to compensate for the larger tube. dunno what the tuner charges but it's a 15 minute job for anyone with a pst2. but you need the programming codes. not sure if tuners require these codes to get in.
I guess you are correct, I didn"t manage to find a SE tune so my tuner made the updated table.
Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 08:16 AM   #64

Garage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro V8 View Post
Old thread revival!

I have collected all the parts together to do the 74mm tb conversion on my 2003 facelift s.
74mm tb, 996 plenum, 80mm silicone and Ali tubing, various jubilee clips.
I also have a modified 987 airbox and 987 maf tube and maf.

A few questions to those in the know
1) Will I still get improvement in power by fitting the 74mm tb and 996 plenum but retaining the 986 airbox and maf?
2) If I fit the 987 airbox do I need to fit the 987 maf or will there still be benefit if I retain the 986 maf tube?
3) If I fit the 987 maf does it definitely need a re flash to make it run correctly and not throw a cel?

Thank you
I am new to this so sorry if this is incorrect, but where did you find the 74 mm TB that fits the 986/987 IPD plenum?
I have the original 2.5 tb but am trying to find the upgraded TB and am not having any luck so I am curious if there is a throttle body spacer or adapter that is out there to mate these two? Have you heard of an adapter?
NotthatJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 07:00 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotthatJake View Post
I am new to this so sorry if this is incorrect, but where did you find the 74 mm TB that fits the 986/987 IPD plenum?
I have the original 2.5 tb but am trying to find the upgraded TB and am not having any luck so I am curious if there is a throttle body spacer or adapter that is out there to mate these two? Have you heard of an adapter?
@notthatjake I just saw your question, for the 2.5 as it is a throttle-cable TB, you would have to find an equivalent 996 cable operated TB, and I'm not sure on the sizing of those. I presume they are larger, but your options are much more limited there, none of the 987 ones will work.

In terms of an adapter, the best option is to use the associated "Intermediate Piece" (I think that's what Porsche calls it)

Last edited by redpepperracing; 02-20-2024 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Added more info
redpepperracing is offline   Reply With Quote