Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2020, 12:43 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
So I'm moments shy of buying a PST2 for this same purpose.
I understand from other threads that I'll need a 996 VIN and associated password, in order to load that 986 flash to my 986 DME. (Correct?)
In anticipation of this, I called my dealer today to see what it'd take to get them to help me with that VIN and password. No joy. They basically mocked me, that I'd think they'd just hand that out. They're kinda dicks over there.

So, question: some of y'all who've done this (TRK?) Do you have a VIN and associated pass code you can share? And if not, do you know a dealer who is supportive of this, who I could contact?

I'd sure like to know I've got a clear pathway before I pull the trigger on the PST2.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Your Dealer in Utah is the worst in the country. I've heard multiple stories from 986 owners. I have a 996 ROW tune on my street boxster but my DME and immobilzer came out of a 996. Pretty simple switch, but I'm not sure about putting a 996 tune into a 986 dme. The immobilizer will still know it's a boxster (I think). I just put a 996 intake on my 2.7 rallycross boxster and was going to also switch over to a 996 tune. Give me a few days and I can tell you what happened

Last edited by itsnotanova; 03-26-2020 at 08:26 AM.
itsnotanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:37 AM   #42
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
Your Dealer in Utah is the worst in the country. I've heard multiple stories from 986 owners. Try Porsche of Plano. They're pretty laid back there and might give one to you. I have a 996 ROW tune on my street boxster but my DME and immobilzer came out of a 996. Pretty simple switch, but I'm not sure about putting a 996 tune into a 986 dme. The immobilizer will still know it's a boxster (I think). I just put a 996 intake on my 2.7 rallycross boxster and was going to also switch over to a 996 tune. Give me a few days and I can tell you what happened
Ha! You're a stud.

Yeah, I'm quite disappointed with the dealer options we have in Utah.

I'll watch for your update! Thanks!
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:29 AM   #43

LOL. I haven't been called a stud in awhile. Text me your vin at 512-925-9171. I'll get you a code when I get one. I have a source but I normally only ask him for codes for myself. It's a source I don't want to wear out
Old 03-26-2020, 08:31 AM   #44
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
LOL. I haven't been called a stud in awhile. Text me your vin at 512-925-9171. I'll get you a code when I get one. I have a source but I normally only ask him for codes for myself. It's a source I don't want to wear out
Do I need the code for MY VIN? Or for the VIN of a 996 whose flash I want to load? How does that work?
Old 03-26-2020, 08:42 AM   #45

Garage
Hey Maytag; I notice no one has brought up something that should be mentioned here. I believe you have said that Utah smog for your year, like Ca. consists of OBD interrogation. Since the diesel gate saga, Ca. smog test checks that the OBD program has not been altered as this will be a fail. You might want to check this if you license your car for street duty.

PS Dealers especially VW/Porsche dealers in an "enhanced smog inspection" state will be far less likely to supply info to alter the OBD programs which could open them up to litigation. Unlike a State that does not do smog testing.

Last edited by 911monty; 03-26-2020 at 08:56 AM. Reason: PS
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:18 PM   #46
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
Hey Maytag; I notice no one has brought up something that should be mentioned here. I believe you have said that Utah smog for your year, like Ca. consists of OBD interrogation. Since the diesel gate saga, Ca. smog test checks that the OBD program has not been altered as this will be a fail. You might want to check this if you license your car for street duty.

PS Dealers especially VW/Porsche dealers in an "enhanced smog inspection" state will be far less likely to supply info to alter the OBD programs which could open them up to litigation. Unlike a State that does not do smog testing.
Thanks for the heads-up, Monty. I don't know how to find out if they check to see if it's been altered. They do NOT do a "sniff" test, with the probe up the tailpipe (I think those start when the car is 50 yrs old... that's when the procedure became mandatory for me, anyway ) the Utah IM test (or at least my county) consists of a visual inspection and then plug-in to the OBD for pass/fail check.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:36 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Do I need the code for MY VIN? Or for the VIN of a 996 whose flash I want to load? How does that work?
Your vin to start. I've never installed a 996 tune into a 986 dme so it's new to me. I don't think getting a 996 vin will work but I'll ask when I get the codes.
Old 03-10-2023, 03:03 PM   #48

Garage
Any updates in this story? What happened?
87 Alfa Romeo Milano
77 Alfa Romeo Alfetta Sedan
nuvolari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 01:28 PM   #49

Garage
996 tune

Reflashing to a 996 tune is possible.
I got a ROW done to eliminate the secondary cats and the air pump.
Alas, I never got to experience the result. The replacement engine I bought seized after a mile.
Old 04-20-2023, 05:01 AM   #50
Tyler

Garage
If anyone is still interested in this mod, I have done it and run it successfully on my 2003 986S without any problems for over 2 years.

I used the stock MAF holder and coupled it with larger diameter tube on either side, so there is an unavoidable loss through the MAF if you want it to run properly. I still feel that the flattening of the torque curve and power increase is more than worth it.

Former: 2005 Mercedes C230K 6MT.
redbox986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 05:18 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbox986 View Post
If anyone is still interested in this mod, I have done it and run it successfully on my 2003 986S without any problems for over 2 years.

I used the stock MAF holder and coupled it with larger diameter tube on either side, so there is an unavoidable loss through the MAF if you want it to run properly. I still feel that the flattening of the torque curve and power increase is more than worth it.
Do you have comparisons of dyno numbers or LTFT before and after?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2023, 09:37 AM   #52

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbox986 View Post

Very interesting, so you say you can definitely feel a difference with only the 987 air box? I might do this while my engine is out, simply because the expense seems fairly low and the possibility of added power/torque is tempting. And then a further upgrade to a larger throttle body and MAF would be very simple, other than required software needed.

How about sound? Does it change the intake sound at all?

And as ike, I would love a dyno test but doubting you have one since that doesn't really make sense for just changing the air box.

But further details on power improvement and feel would be appreciated.

Thanks.
87 Alfa Romeo Milano
77 Alfa Romeo Alfetta Sedan
nuvolari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 11:47 AM   #53

Sorry double post

Last edited by Nitro V8; 10-31-2023 at 10:58 PM.
Nitro V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 04:02 PM   #54

Garage
What you need to know is that if you go to all this trouble, you may as well put in the 987 airbox. The other thing to know is having done it, I don't see how it is accomplished with the engine in place! I do think you get a better and bigger filter with the 987 airbox if I remember correctly.
Old 10-31-2023, 10:57 PM   #55

987 MAF or not

Old thread revival!

I have collected all the parts together to do the 74mm tb conversion on my 2003 facelift s.
74mm tb, 996 plenum, 80mm silicone and Ali tubing, various jubilee clips.
I also have a modified 987 airbox and 987 maf tube and maf.

A few questions to those in the know
1) Will I still get improvement in power by fitting the 74mm tb and 996 plenum but retaining the 986 airbox and maf?
2) If I fit the 987 airbox do I need to fit the 987 maf or will there still be benefit if I retain the 986 maf tube?
3) If I fit the 987 maf does it definitely need a re flash to make it run correctly and not throw a cel?

Thank you
Old 11-01-2023, 04:55 AM   #56
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Just do what I did….

……it’s much easier.

Just buy a 2004 “50 Years of the 550 Spyder Edition Boxster S” like I did.

She comes WITH a 987 Airbox.

550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 11:13 AM   #57

most of the power benefits come from the airbox.

i ran with the 986 tube adapted to the 987 airbox for quite a while.

if you fit the 987 tube you will need to get the SE flash. at which point you will have an SE for half the price.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 09:37 PM   #58

1 - no
2 - no
3 - yes

If you want power, you need everything from the box to the TB to be larger. Plenum geometry making more power is bull****************, but needs to be swapped to fit the larger TB.

She won't run without a tune. The ECU won't be able to interpret flow data with a larger maf housing and run lean (detonation lean)

Also, your next project should be to gut the exhaust. Power gains will be muted if she can't exhale.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2023, 09:27 PM   #59

I wonder if a re mapping session on a rolling road can tune for the 987 maf rather than having to get an actual 550se tune put on the DME?
Old 11-12-2023, 07:31 AM   #60

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro V8 View Post
I wonder if a re mapping session on a rolling road can tune for the 987 maf rather than having to get an actual 550se tune put on the DME?
That´s not the way to do it.
What you actually need is a new MAF-table for the larger MAF-tube, thus the DME can understand the MAF-signal again. Then if you really want you may map it on the rolling road, but I think the DME will manage this by it´s own with such small changes.

My tuner made me a new MAF-table just for this, you may inbox me for contact info to my tuner, I´m sure he can help you with this table.

Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote