Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2010, 03:12 PM   #1

Garage
Installing Pedro's Hi-Flo Air Intake 986 2.5L (Success!)

My wife and I bought all the supplies for this mod. We were really excited to install it and then we opened up the engine compartment and discovered two tubes attached to the OEM air intake (see pictures). What do we do with these? lol Perhaps they're addressed in the DIY (http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Make_a_Hi-Flo_Intake.html) but we didn't see any mention of how to connect them to the new tube or if we simply discard them?

I'd like to finish the air intake today if possible. Does anyone have a minute to offer further instruction on finishing this?

thanks!!

Last edited by Pianohawk; 05-30-2010 at 08:29 AM.
Pianohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 05:13 PM   #2

Garage
i have done this mod on my car and well... I dont remember that tube there! sorry I cant help but does it look important? where does it connect?

sorry I couldnt hel[ but at least I could give you a bump
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:44 PM   #3

Why don't you just call Pedro and direct him to this post. I'll bet he can tell you.

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:00 PM   #4

Garage
We've been in email contact. The collective experience of everyone couldn't hurt too, right? My wife and I did it! Those extra hoses don't lead anywhere. They're just for sound muffling. Pedro told me to get rid of them with the original intake tube and it turned out fine.

Now we just hope it continues to run the next couple days.... : )

Old Air Intake

Old Air Intake - In Car

New Air Intake
99 2.5L Boxster: 135,800 miles, AVIC-Z2 In-dash navigation/DVD receiver w/bypass switch, made and installed Pedro's hi flow air intake, custom laser engraved wind-stop, hacked convertible top relay, de snorkeled.

Last edited by Pianohawk; 05-29-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:21 AM   #5

How did this turn out? Sound? Power changes?

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:39 AM   #6

Garage
thats good it worked out well. I like my pedro mod So im hoping you will too. what parts did you use? pvc or aluminum?
Old 05-30-2010, 07:11 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudanova
How did this turn out? Sound? Power changes?
Surprisingly, the idle is more steady than ever now. The tiptronic transmission is shifting really smoothly now too. Before it used to hesitate slightly when going into 2nd, fourth, and fifth. The sound is louder, especially when I accelerate. It added more bass resonance to the exhaust. Still trying to get used to it.

For now, it seems there may be slightly less power in the higher gears but I was afraid to drive it hard since I accidently disconnected one end of the J-tube trying to get the new intake in. Duct tape is the only temporary solution I had. I'm going to replace the lock on that end or the entire J-tube in a few days.

Give me a week and time for the car to adjust to the greater air flow and I'll post another update. Not sure which changes are permanent yet.
99 2.5L Boxster: 135,800 miles, AVIC-Z2 In-dash navigation/DVD receiver w/bypass switch, made and installed Pedro's hi flow air intake, custom laser engraved wind-stop, hacked convertible top relay, de snorkeled.

Last edited by Pianohawk; 05-30-2010 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:18 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo1186
thats good it worked out well. I like my pedro mod So im hoping you will too. what parts did you use? pvc or aluminum?
We used PVC pipe. Took only 10 inches or so of PVC since the 90 degree rubber elbows were so big. It also took us 5 hours from buying the materials to getting it installed. I wouldn't recommend it to a fellow novice. There is almost NO space to move around in that engine compartment...very difficult to get these new pieces in securely. Of course, this was our first real mod (aside from de-snorkeling and hacking the top relay).

Last edited by Pianohawk; 05-30-2010 at 07:21 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:03 AM   #9

Garage
Awesome mod, the sound is amazing! I fixed the J tube, no issues at all now. Going to clean out the TB this week.

Has anyone added a cold air intake filter system with this mod?
Old 06-01-2010, 09:02 AM   #10

Sorry, but I just can't endorse using plumbing materials from Home Depot on an automotive application.

Want to do this the right way? Get the appropriate sized silicone elbows, aluminum hard pipe, and silicone joiners.

Aside from that, on a stock motor, what is supposed to be the gain here? It's been proven that the factory airbox and filter flow plenty enough air for the motor, and inserting thick wall PVC pipe (which probably has a smaller inside diameter than the factory thin wall plastic) and Fernco elbows (the black rubber things) between the air box and throttle body is not going to get you any increase in air volume sucked through the throttle body.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:50 AM   #11

Garage
on the contrary...

PVC has a smoother inside for the piping and being thicker a naturally better insulate. (unless you buy some polished aluminum tubes (of course polished inside)

depending on the tubing you buy, the size is much wider than stock. in my case (I used PVC) the piping is wider through the joints and pipes than the TB. so the point is just to make sure the TB always has the necessary air. (also stock plumbing has baffles as a part of it) and if nothing else it changes the intake note so it sounds much better. and on these cars with the intake right behind the drivers ear that by itself is a high point.

the one downside to using PVC is that over time the heat can crack the plastic. but being so cheap it is no big deal.

in comparison I could spend 20 dollars on a nice breaker bar for those stubborn bolts... OR i can go to home depot and get some PVC and use my existing ratchet.

adapt and overcome and Home depot is your source for many things.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:16 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudsurfer
Sorry, but I just can't endorse using plumbing materials from Home Depot on an automotive application.

Want to do this the right way? Get the appropriate sized silicone elbows, aluminum hard pipe, and silicone joiners.

Aside from that, on a stock motor, what is supposed to be the gain here? It's been proven that the factory airbox and filter flow plenty enough air for the motor, and inserting thick wall PVC pipe (which probably has a smaller inside diameter than the factory thin wall plastic) and Fernco elbows (the black rubber things) between the air box and throttle body is not going to get you any increase in air volume sucked through the throttle body.
You say it's been proven that increasing the air intake stock tube with a larger one doesn't increase air into the TB but you didn't give any source or cite any dyno or study. While I, from personal experience as well as from testimonials from several trusted porsche friends and mechanics, know that installing a bigger air intake = more air to the TB. Plus, after 12 year, the stock air intake tube was in pretty bad condition.

After installing pedro's hi flow air intake, my idle steadied significantly and my shifts into 2nd, 4th, and 5th gear are much smoother! Highly recommended mod. Try it Mr. Cloudsrufer before you diss what you can't personally substantiate. : )

Last edited by Pianohawk; 06-01-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:06 PM   #13

Garage
and pianohawk another mod I might add that is simple and cheap is to repaint your grill vents. I see from your pic they are faded a bit. so were mine. but I went in there took them off scraped them down and repainted them and now they are pure black and pretty as ever! just a suggesttion.

it makes your car look much younger!
Old 06-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #14

Garage
Good idea. I've thought once or twice about it but am not sure how to take the grills off or sand them. What kind/brand of black paint did you use?
Old 06-01-2010, 04:08 PM   #15

Garage
well unfortunately to get them out you need to remove the bumper honestly it doesnt take long at all. with the correct drivers maybe 5-6mins (maybe more the first time since you are trying to find all the screw points) after that they pop right out.

using a paint scraper or razor blade you need to scrape off the gray faded plastic. takes a little while but the preparation is key seeing as painting plastic is tricky. I used whatever satin black paint I had lieing around I think it was rotor paint LOL but I know bondo makes a satin black plastic paint. after that spray paint away let dry and put it and viola 100 times better looking.

the plus side is if you do need ur car daily and you want some extra time to prep you can just put the bumper on with the grills while you prep and paint also great benefit you can clean your radiators!

Old 06-01-2010, 08:48 PM   #16

While there may possibly (and I'll emphasize "possibly") be gains to be had in drivability from ditching the stock intake on a stock motor, I'm still going to stick by my original statement that if you want to do this, at least do it with automotive components, not plumbing department parts.

I've made plenty of air intakes on cars (including the one on my Boxster), and always used aluminum tubing (typically from Vibrant) and silicone couplers and elbows (typically from Samco).

On the topic of smoothness, the latest studies on fluid dynamics actually show that a slightly rough surface flows better than a perfectly smooth one, due to boundary layer separation.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:48 PM   #17

Instead of painting the vents black, just order some vinyl dye. Much easier than scraping, and they will look like new when done. Then protect them with 303 aerospace.

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:13 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
While there may possibly (and I'll emphasize "possibly") be gains to be had in drivability from ditching the stock intake on a stock motor, I'm still going to stick by my original statement that if you want to do this, at least do it with automotive components, not plumbing department parts.

I've made plenty of air intakes on cars (including the one on my Boxster), and always used aluminum tubing (typically from Vibrant) and silicone couplers and elbows (typically from Samco).

On the topic of smoothness, the latest studies on fluid dynamics actually show that a slightly rough surface flows better than a perfectly smooth one, due to boundary layer separation.

to each his own I guess. similarly I had hand made cat bypass pipes made for my car for 40 dollars is it polished stainless? nope is it preferable? i suppose. it cost me 40 dollars instead of 300 from fabspeed so maybe theirs are better fabbed but in the end id rather pocket the 260 bux.

with this the pvc is easy to come by and easy to install and if there are limited to no gains as you say then so be it, but hey it sounds better than stock and is cheaper than buying aluminum and their parts.

and yimmy thanks for the advice on the vinyl dye and 303 (i got that stuff its great)
Old 06-02-2010, 04:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo1186
to each his own I guess. similarly I had hand made cat bypass pipes made for my car for 40 dollars is it polished stainless? nope is it preferable? i suppose. it cost me 40 dollars instead of 300 from fabspeed so maybe theirs are better fabbed but in the end id rather pocket the 260 bux.

with this the pvc is easy to come by and easy to install and if there are limited to no gains as you say then so be it, but hey it sounds better than stock and is cheaper than buying aluminum and their parts.

and yimmy thanks for the advice on the vinyl dye and 303 (i got that stuff its great)

The Fabspeed are better. Why? Theirs are mandrel bent, yours are not. Nevermind stainless or polished, they simply flow better. Is the difference appreciable? I have no idea.

The beautiful thing about human nature is that what works for one of us may not work for the other. If you're happy, that's all that matters in the end.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:10 PM   #20

Garage
Quote:
The Fabspeed are better. Why? Theirs are mandrel bent, yours are not. Nevermind stainless or polished, they simply flow better. Is the difference appreciable? I have no idea.
yes if we are talking about the same diameter pipe. however, If I get crush bent pipe of bigger radius it makes no difference as long as the decreased diameter of the bend is still as wide if not wider than the original outlet for the headers making the point for mandrel bent moot at best.

does that mean if you have the money to blow on some fabspeed test pipes you shouldnt? of course not! I understand you dont want to put parts that you think are inferior because their application isnt the same but in the end if it works it works if not it will be discarded in short order.

Quote:
The beautiful thing about human nature is that what works for one of us may not work for the other. If you're happy, that's all that matters in the end.
amen