View Single Post
Old 06-01-2010, 01:16 PM   #12
Pianohawk

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudsurfer
Sorry, but I just can't endorse using plumbing materials from Home Depot on an automotive application.

Want to do this the right way? Get the appropriate sized silicone elbows, aluminum hard pipe, and silicone joiners.

Aside from that, on a stock motor, what is supposed to be the gain here? It's been proven that the factory airbox and filter flow plenty enough air for the motor, and inserting thick wall PVC pipe (which probably has a smaller inside diameter than the factory thin wall plastic) and Fernco elbows (the black rubber things) between the air box and throttle body is not going to get you any increase in air volume sucked through the throttle body.
You say it's been proven that increasing the air intake stock tube with a larger one doesn't increase air into the TB but you didn't give any source or cite any dyno or study. While I, from personal experience as well as from testimonials from several trusted porsche friends and mechanics, know that installing a bigger air intake = more air to the TB. Plus, after 12 year, the stock air intake tube was in pretty bad condition.

After installing pedro's hi flow air intake, my idle steadied significantly and my shifts into 2nd, 4th, and 5th gear are much smoother! Highly recommended mod. Try it Mr. Cloudsrufer before you diss what you can't personally substantiate. : )
99 2.5L Boxster: 135,800 miles, AVIC-Z2 In-dash navigation/DVD receiver w/bypass switch, made and installed Pedro's hi flow air intake, custom laser engraved wind-stop, hacked convertible top relay, de snorkeled.

Last edited by Pianohawk; 06-01-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Pianohawk is offline   Reply With Quote