View Single Post
Old 06-02-2010, 03:13 PM   #18
Lobo1186

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudsurfer
While there may possibly (and I'll emphasize "possibly") be gains to be had in drivability from ditching the stock intake on a stock motor, I'm still going to stick by my original statement that if you want to do this, at least do it with automotive components, not plumbing department parts.

I've made plenty of air intakes on cars (including the one on my Boxster), and always used aluminum tubing (typically from Vibrant) and silicone couplers and elbows (typically from Samco).

On the topic of smoothness, the latest studies on fluid dynamics actually show that a slightly rough surface flows better than a perfectly smooth one, due to boundary layer separation.

to each his own I guess. similarly I had hand made cat bypass pipes made for my car for 40 dollars is it polished stainless? nope is it preferable? i suppose. it cost me 40 dollars instead of 300 from fabspeed so maybe theirs are better fabbed but in the end id rather pocket the 260 bux.

with this the pvc is easy to come by and easy to install and if there are limited to no gains as you say then so be it, but hey it sounds better than stock and is cheaper than buying aluminum and their parts.

and yimmy thanks for the advice on the vinyl dye and 303 (i got that stuff its great)
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote