Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2004, 02:56 PM   #1
porsche986

a few questions?

I am going to install this spoiler but it has a brake light. Whats the best was to connect the brake light. Also i want to install the spoiler ON TOP of the spoiler that rises at speed so the whole thing lifts the huge spoiler when i reach speed, do you think this will look good or crap. Also the spoiler isnt expensive and how would i connect it to the car so it sits on top of the existing spoiler. here is a few pics below.

Its only £375 plus painting and fitting and shipping

Last edited by porsche986; 02-12-2004 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-12-2004, 02:58 PM   #2
porsche986

and another

here is another pic. This is actually a boxster spoiler..

Last edited by porsche986; 02-12-2004 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-12-2004, 03:29 PM   #3

So do you plan to disconnect or turn off the retractable wing? Might be silly to have both hooked up. I would have the 3rd brake light running to the existing 3rd brake light power source.
I looked at these style wings myself, but ended up installing a turbo wing directly to the retractable wing. It looks something like this below....I will have some picks of what mine looks like next week. I should finally be getting my ride out of the shop next Friday
jfmillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 03:34 PM   #4
porsche986

nice

nice, i like the pics.. I was wanting to actually sit ontop of the existing spoiler so when it rises it lifts the main spoiler also..Like when you reach around 70 mph the spoiler rises and will also lift the other spoiler as it sits ontop of it.

YEA i know what you mean about the 3rd brake light good idea! i will do that
Old 02-12-2004, 03:38 PM   #5

yeah thats what the ones I show in the pics above do. When it is in the lower position there is a very noticeable lip coming out accentuating the rear wing for those who might be curious, and when in the up position you clearly see it is something out of the ordinary. FYI the rear wing is a Gemballa Wing. Its a little more costly then most. If I recall its about 750 US dollars and of course you have prep and paint on top of that.
Old 02-12-2004, 03:56 PM   #6
porsche986

exellent get some pics posted when you get your boxster back. I am still waiting for my ruf front bumper to arrive and then when i get the spoiler i will get them painted and fitted together....
Old 02-12-2004, 04:18 PM   #7
Watch Freak

No, please don't do that! I just purchased the Aero kit II for my car and I let the shop keep the spoiler. I didn't want it on my car as I think big spoilers are too "ricey" and should be left for Honda's. I guess it's a matter of taste but I don't like it on this car.
2006 BMW 750i 19" Sport Wheels BK/BK-Daily
2005 Lotus Elise Sport & Touring Package-Fun
2001 Lexus RX300-Back-up Winter Beater
2001 Mercedes-Benz S500 Sport AMG-Sold
2000 Boxster S Heavily Modified-Sold
2000 Nissan Altima GLE-Parking Spot Holder
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Stryke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 04:53 PM   #8

Thats cool you went with the RUF front end. I actually went with the TTP GT2 front bumper, probably seen in some pics around here. I recently have done the RUF rear bumper and exhaust. Excited to get it back !
Old 02-12-2004, 04:56 PM   #9
porsche986

good

yer i know what you mean, i need something to add shape to back of my boxster i was going for the humps but it means i dont have the option of putting the hood up if it gets a bit chilly. The spoiler looks the only option really what i want i cant get. I want a spoiler that sits on the rear FLUSH against it so when the rear rises it lift the one ontop of it. A little bit like a 996 bumper but smaller. Maybe not as big as the ones in the pictures. The hardest part is getting customs to accept the ruf bumper, My goverment is always trying to find ways to get TAX of everything, the sooner th better i move to france! OHHHH those long country roads just made for a porsche!
Old 02-12-2004, 04:58 PM   #10
porsche986

nice!

You done the rear also, now this i want to see, That is my next project, i want the rear bumper to support a new muf. The one with one at the left and one at the right. That looks great. Hey what colour is your boxster?
Old 02-12-2004, 05:02 PM   #11

It is arctic silver, here is a pic of the work in progress of the rear bumper installed, before it was sent to the paint ship. SOrry the pic isnt too good since it was from my camera on my cell phone. I promise when it comes out of the shop in another week I will do several good photos for all to see
Old 02-12-2004, 05:15 PM   #12
porsche986

SUPER

very nice bumper, that is sweet! it is such a change.... wait till the lights go in it will look very good. I seen a boxster today screaming up the M1 doing about 120 he flashed and waved as you do, it was the same bumper as that. Today this little fiat twin turbo with 230 BHP kept shooting off from me everytime the road got clear, it took me a while to realise what he was doing then i waited till he did it again and BANG i was with him for around a mile then both lanes opened up and i undertook him and cut in front i actually for the first time reached 142 mph. Hi face dropped and then i left him his little 230 bhp couldnt keep up although mine is a 2.5 it left him for dead. Anyways about 20 mile down the road the traffic was a bit slow and he pulled level and starting reving lol we took off again and he was miles away even futher than before so i check in my mirror and he was flashing his lights and he turned off ... it was funny the little boy racer was gutted his exaust was bigger than my alloy wheel LOL

MY BOXSTER IS VERY QUICK i have posted a clip of me doing 0-60 in about 5 seconds although i rekon it can go faster

Last edited by porsche986; 02-12-2004 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-12-2004, 05:22 PM   #13

cool, yeah I like messing with some of the ricers from time to time. Yeah I have done just about everything I can do to the 2.7 short of a TT (maybe this next fall) and have been doing body mods as of lately, as I described I have done the front nose, rear bumper as well as the Gemballa side skirts. Even I havent had a chance to enjoy my 986 in almost 5 months of it being in the shop having the work done. I am so glad its finally getting painted . About another week should be it, minus having an alignment done since I threw 4 new Michelin Pilot Sports on.
Old 02-12-2004, 05:32 PM   #14
porsche986

box

i cant wait to see your car i really cant. just in time for summer its going to really stand out.

check my vids i did last night to test my new tyres for speed
right click the url below and choose save target as:

www.freewebs.com/uniforms2/myvid.avi
www.freewebs.com/uniforms2/myvid2.avi
Old 02-12-2004, 05:40 PM   #15

Hehe,
yeah I cant wait to see my car either. Tomorrow at about lunchtime I plan on driving down to the body shop to look at how things are coming along. If it is presentable enough to show I will take a pic or two of the work in progress.
Old 02-12-2004, 05:46 PM   #16
porsche986

even if its not take some pics a boxster never looks bad.

i just had a major service and the front bearing replaced it cost 300 plus vat for the servic and 120 plus vat for the bearing. It runs great! whats the fastest you done in your boxster jfmillr?
Old 02-12-2004, 05:52 PM   #17

Well on the Dyno they have had my rear wheels spinning at 175 mph. I personally have not been over 140 in my car. Living here in the DC metro area there are not many places to go that fast except when I road trip it...
Old 02-12-2004, 05:59 PM   #18
porsche986

thats quick. I have never had mine on a dino. i may do it because i can handle skylines and lancer evo with little problem not that i race round all day lol just on a motorway or at lights its a fit of fun. But i was ready a post over at the wrx foum where some guy had all the cars he had raced won and lost he had a new subaru impretza STI and sure enough a boxster 2.7 was on his list of lost cars. he was beaten by a boxster, ferrari 355, volvo, lancer evo 8, nissan skyline, and a merc slk.

he won saxo, honda s200, mazda rx7, mx5 mita ect..

isnt it fast at 140 when cars are going the other way doing 100
Old 02-12-2004, 06:08 PM   #19

yeah it is. I dont like driving that fast quite frankly. My preference is 75-115. Have gone fast when in racing situations but not too often. I am more into quick short burst of speed, and looking unique at the same time. Thats why I am working hard to give the car a unique look.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:13 PM   #20
porsche986

boxster

yer i agree i aint into speeding all the time just the odd time when you need the power to give someone a lesson. I love the boxster short bursts and that sweet engine note!. your car will look something special cant wait to see it.

here a screen capture of the site i saw the bumper on but ordered it from ruf.
its the turbo one.