Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2004, 08:02 PM   #21

Porsche986, what engine mods do you have on your car? 175 on a dyno miller, I wonder what that equates to when you have wind resistence factored in??

Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 01:19 AM   #22
porsche986

adam

adam i have done no engine mods to my car at all. But when i bought it the guy told me something has been done to it somewhere as its the fastest boxster he has test driven. Thats one of reason why i snapped it up the same day i seen it. It is very very quick, if i really went for it border lining the gears and revs i rekon i can get under 5 secs on 0-60. You can see my video it takes me around 5 secs but i didnt push it all the way. I have only been 140 mph but i can feel it wanting to keep on going.

would i know if my boxster has been supercharged by someone else?

www.freewebs.com/uniforms2/myvid.avi

thats the vid i done for 0-60
Old 02-13-2004, 09:33 AM   #23

Uhh, I can't download because my compressor isn't good enough or something, I wish I could see a stock 2.5L boxster hit 60 in 5 sec. You are talkng mph and not km aren't you ? So, you don't know what the previous owner did exactly, but he made it faster? That stuff might be good to know someday if it ever needs to be serviced. Didn't you ask him for details before you bought your car?

Last edited by Adam; 02-13-2004 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:11 AM   #24
porsche986

vids

I made the vids standard AVI so they play on windows media player or winamp or divx. My boxster was just serviced a few days ago. According to the guy who serviced it at the porsche center it has a drop kit in and he seemed exited. Now i used to have a 911 and i never heard of this before unless its slang in the motor world. I dodnt want to keep asking what it is as he was busy and seemed to have big proeblem with a 911 turbo that was back firing. Yes i recorded MPH at around 5.5 secs.

i have the last owners details on the log book so i might write him a letter. I have checked the service history and there are pages and pages of stuff, apart from its all in german.. I have tried copying and the words and translating it on the net but its taking ages.

try again and download it! why not trying to download winamp from www.winamp.com or divx player from www.divx.com ?

Last edited by porsche986; 02-13-2004 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-13-2004, 01:19 PM   #25

Porsche986,

Usually, its pretty easy to tell if someone has a supercharger. A SC has a high pitched whine sound as it is pushing air through the manifold.

The sound is pretty distinctive and you would easily be able to tell.

JBG
Old 02-13-2004, 01:26 PM   #26
porsche986

johny my car does have a high pitched sound but i thought it was standard on all boxters. Are there any tests i can do involving speeding or accelerating to find out, what about if i reved my car could you tell? maybe i can send you a sound file i can do it now if you want, i would love to know
Old 02-13-2004, 02:21 PM   #27

A supercharger is not all that subtle, if you've got one it would be fairly easy to spot on the engine I would think. Same thing for a turbo. If you can't tell from a quick inspection through the engine hatch yourself, take a photo and post it here and someone on the forum should be able to spot either.

If I were the prior owner and had made significant speed-enhancing mods like this, I think I would have let you know before the sale - and asked for some more $$$$ as a result!
Old 02-13-2004, 02:31 PM   #28
porsche986

hi don, i dont know how to see the engine, how do i actually see it? this boxster was expensive it was £27,000 with 35,000 miles.

If i new how to see the engine i would be able to check. tell me how to do it and i will go and take a picture right now, its on the drive and i need to bring it in the garage anyways.
Old 02-13-2004, 04:07 PM   #29

Porsche986, sure. Send me a sound file and perhaps I could hear it. And I would say that even though a SC would be easy to spot if you knew what you were looking for, for those who don't know, it could be difficult.

A supercharger is usually a device that is attached to your crank via a belt. The belt drives a compressor that takes external air and pushes it into the engine. A roots type supercharger usually sits right on top of a manifold and has the air induction on the other side.

I have seen other superchargers that are still driven by the engine by a belt and pushes air into the mass air flow sensor. If I were to guess, the 2nd is the type that you have if you have one.

Go ahead and send me a sound file and I can tell you what I think.

JBG
Old 02-14-2004, 09:26 AM   #30
porsche986

thanks

thanks sounds great. i have posted this on the other section also incase someone else might know also but you sound as tho you know what your talking about, i dont have a clue lol i have never seen my boxster engine before..

http://www.geocities.com/porsche986downloads/mysound.wav
Old 02-14-2004, 01:50 PM   #31

That was real tough to hear. I didn't hear anything distinctive that I would consider to sound like a supercharger, but that doesn't mean that you don't have one. I think that if you really want to know, you will probably have to get in there and find out. It'll give you a chance to see the soul of the car. Take some pics.
Old 02-14-2004, 02:05 PM   #32
porsche986

lol ok yer, how do i see the engine?
Old 02-14-2004, 04:45 PM   #33

Well from the top or bottom? lol Bottom is easy just lift up the car. To see from the top you have to activate your top and stop it in a halfway position. Half closed half open. Then you have to undo some stuff and voila! there is the engine. It's in the owners manual, but it sounds like you may not have one. Can anyone give him an illustration? or pic?
Old 02-14-2004, 05:34 PM   #34
porsche986

no i do have a manual its just i hate doing stuff like that lol i will do it tomorrow and take some pics and post em here you might know what your looking for... i have a induction kit comming but it might have one already in so if it has i will sell the new on half price hehe or stick it on ebay
Old 02-15-2004, 10:24 AM   #35

Info on accessing the storage bay/engine area is posted to http://www.iq.dynip.com/~gary/hacks/speaker/speaker.html under step 1.1b. You go a little further and remove the carpeted cover under the storage box by turning the 4 D-ring fasteners and lifting it off... which will have you then face to face with the engine.

Last edited by donv; 02-15-2004 at 10:26 AM.
donv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 03:27 PM   #36
porsche986

thanks

thanks for that.. will do that tomorrow sometime