Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2019, 10:29 AM   #1

Garage
Top mounts

During install of GT3 LCA:s I try to adress a Little more things while I´m in there.. I see that the top mount on one side looks a bit fishy, so since I have time I will take it apart and have a look.

Since I put in adjustable LCA:s I don´t Think I need camber plates, but solid top mounts might be woth while.. Or what do you think? Any reasonable priced ones? Or is it even worth while to put in fresh OEM-mounts?

Would I even feel any difference with solid (spherical bearings) top mounts vs OEM on the track?

Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:05 PM   #2

eh, its incremental and really depends on your skill level and how attuned you are to the car. Going to a fully rose jointed suspension certainly makes the chassis feel better, but just going from rubber to spherical top mounts, I'm not sure Id notice
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:04 PM   #3

When I put my PSS9 on I replaced my rubber bushing stock top mounts with Tarett camber plates in the front, and a set of OEM top mounts with an Elephant monoball bushing cartridge retrofitted. Since I did all that work at the same time, I'm not sure what changed what, but I can offer the feedback that I didn't notice that NVH significantly increased. I was already running front Tarett LCA monoballs, and rear toe arms with spherical bearing rod ends, and I didn't notice any NVH from them either. But then I didn't daily drive the car either.

I actually bought two pairs of the Elephant cartridges because I was going to retrofit the front strut tops as well, but then I lucked onto a set of the Tarett camber plates at a good price so I got those.

If you have everything apart, at least in the US those front top mounts are relatively cheap, the rear ones are a little more expensive, but it is a good time to do it along with new bump stops When I did a suspension refresh a while back I kept the same back mounts which looked fine, but got new front top mounts, because they had some cracking. Maybe with all the steering they have more wear?

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote