Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2019, 10:32 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Westerville OH
Posts: 2
Coilover suspension question

Has anyone installed this Godspeed MMX3830 MonoMAXX Coilovers Suspension Kit For Porsche Boxster 986 96-04.

I'm looking to lower the car a bit to get rid of the big gap in the wheel wells.

Thanks

Bill.
kestrel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:06 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: 92262
Posts: 670
Welcome! Welcome.
__________________
1998 Porsche Boxster
1986 BMW 325es
2012 Ford Edge Sport

"Ignore the guilt, and take your turn"
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:44 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Schertz
Posts: 13
Went though this about 6 months ago, lots of reviews floating around on them. I’ve ridden in and driven an auto-x specific boxster with godspeed coils and they felt fine. I personally went with Ceika because they were easy to build with custom spring rates and valving. I used PSS9 spring rates for my build since the car is driven fairly regularly but also sees some track and auto-x time.

What is your primary goal? Is your goal just to lower the car or is it to get maximum performance?
Shawn
__________________
-1999 Boxster 3.4L m96 swap/ Coilovers/ GT3 arms/ adjustable rear toe links/ Tarret rear bar, boxster s front bar/ 17 Fikse wheels- (Daily fun car)
-2002 911 Turbo -JRZ RS Pro coilovers/ GMG swaybars /Full RSS control arms and toe kit/ Billet k16s/ Markski turbo inlet pipe, tune, and intercoolers/ GT3 seats w/ red GT3 belts/ CCW classics
Sveach756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:56 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Westerville OH
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sveach756 View Post
Went though this about 6 months ago, lots of reviews floating around on them. I’ve ridden in and driven an auto-x specific boxster with godspeed coils and they felt fine. I personally went with Ceika because they were easy to build with custom spring rates and valving. I used PSS9 spring rates for my build since the car is driven fairly regularly but also sees some track and auto-x time.

What is your primary goal? Is your goal just to lower the car or is it to get maximum performance?
Shawn
Thanks for the information. I drive the car regularly during the warmer months. I also do 2-3 track/HPDE days a year. So I would like to up the performance and still keep it civilized enough for my wife to ride in.
kestrel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:12 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 269
Garage
I have H&R lowering springs on mine. Okay on the street and good at Mid-Ohio
Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:56 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van914 View Post
I have H&R lowering springs on mine. Okay on the street and good at Mid-Ohio
Hello Van,

Out of curiosity, could you please share a couple of pictures of your car with the H&R springs?
I would love to see how much do they drop the car. Thank you!
.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:42 AM   #7
Who's askin'?
 
maytag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Utah
Posts: 787
These look CHEAP?!!? (as in- Inexpensive). I'd love to hear if anyone has used them.

I've been saving pennies for the Ohlins R&T series. I'm not sure why I'd buy Bilstein for $2400 when I can get Ohlins for $2700. But $600 for the Godspeed? huh... that makes a guy stop-n-think....
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:54 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 269
Garage
Here is my 200 S on H&R Springs 18" wheels


Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:13 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,171
Thank you for the picture, you have a beautiful car!

And.. it looks great without being slammed, the H&R's were a good option congratulations!
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:39 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van914 View Post
Here is my 200 S on H&R Springs 18" wheels


Looks great.. what wheels are these?
Bcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:45 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Ciao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Denver
Posts: 629
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van914 View Post
Here is my 200 S on H&R Springs 18" wheels


Looks good w/out being slammed; i believe the 18" wheels raise it back up close to factory ride height but eliminates gap in rear wheel/fender
__________________
5280 Cruising @High Altitude
Seal Gray & K&N Filter
Ciao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:26 PM   #12
On the slippery slope
 
JayG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,207
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
Looks good w/out being slammed; i believe the 18" wheels raise it back up close to factory ride height but eliminates gap in rear wheel/fender
If you have the correct size tires, it doesn't matter if it is 17" or 18" wheels. The overall diameter should be basically the same, so the car height should be the same

255/40-17 vs 265/35-18 for instance
__________________
2004 Boxster S 6 speed - DRL relay hack, Polaris AutoTop DIY
2004 996 Targa Tip
Instructor - San Diego region, 2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2013 C300, 2010 Jetta 2011 Mazda 3, 1998 Windstar - Dog van , 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:28 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Michigan
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
These look CHEAP?!!? (as in- Inexpensive). I'd love to hear if anyone has used them.

I've been saving pennies for the Ohlins R&T series. I'm not sure why I'd buy Bilstein for $2400 when I can get Ohlins for $2700. But $600 for the Godspeed? huh... that makes a guy stop-n-think....
Where'd you find $600?

The best I'm finding is $850.
2ata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:32 PM   #14
On the slippery slope
 
JayG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,207
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
These look CHEAP?!!? (as in- Inexpensive). I'd love to hear if anyone has used them.

I've been saving pennies for the Ohlins R&T series. I'm not sure why I'd buy Bilstein for $2400 when I can get Ohlins for $2700. But $600 for the Godspeed? huh... that makes a guy stop-n-think....
I have thought the same thing.
Wiser and more knowledgeable track rats than me have felt the cheaper setups are just that, cheap and don't perform well.

I have no personal experience, so I can't specifically comment.

I track my Boxster often and have the ROW M030 setup with camber plates in the front and that setup works well. I get 2.5 camber on the front which made a huge difference. I have had better drivers than me drive my car and they loved the setup.
__________________
2004 Boxster S 6 speed - DRL relay hack, Polaris AutoTop DIY
2004 996 Targa Tip
Instructor - San Diego region, 2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2013 C300, 2010 Jetta 2011 Mazda 3, 1998 Windstar - Dog van , 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:14 AM   #15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 269
Garage
My Wheels are these from Wheel Dymanics
RS-808
18x8 (off-set 45)
18x10 (off-set 50)
Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:25 AM   #16
Who's askin'?
 
maytag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Utah
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
I have thought the same thing.
Wiser and more knowledgeable track rats than me have felt the cheaper setups are just that, cheap and don't perform well.

I have no personal experience, so I can't specifically comment.

I track my Boxster often and have the ROW M030 setup with camber plates in the front and that setup works well. I get 2.5 camber on the front which made a huge difference. I have had better drivers than me drive my car and they loved the setup.
Yeah, this is the same conclusion I came to about the cheap coilovers.... but wouldn't it be nice if I were wrong? haha.

I've got some LCA's that arrived, which I'll be installing shortly, with the intent of dialing-in some camber, for the same reason you've described. I'm afraid the coilivers will have to be NEXT winter. ::sigh:: ( In my mind, I'm both Richer and Younger. )
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:48 PM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
I'm afraid the coilivers will have to be NEXT winter. ::sigh:: ( In my mind, I'm both Richer and Younger. )
Maytag, you would not believe how much does the coil overs improves the feel of the chassis and with the ability to adjust separately, the compression and rebound as well, and combined with adjustable sway bars your car would be in a completely different level :-)

Last edited by Gilles; 03-16-2019 at 07:51 PM.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page